PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos exposure after having roof done

spacebunnyx
25-07-18, 21:13
Hi everyone,

Not been on here for a very long time but have come back as having anxiety and wondering what the rational/sensible thing to do is!

The last two days we've had the soffits and fascias capped on our house. Whilst doing this they noticed some tiles slipping off the side (verge of roof). They fixed it...but whilst doing so let lots of dust and rubble fall to the ground. Monday evening i took a look and thought uh oh that's asbestos.... Asked them the next day and they said yes. They've now finished but there's bits of the "asbestos" on the patio...tiny bits. Not a lot but it's there. I bagged some bigger bits. I've kept all the windows shut but really don't know what to do. I have two toddlers that I don't want going out the back until it at least rains a bit. Help. What do I do? I'm getting extremely anxious about this.

Dedre88
25-07-18, 22:35
How old is your house?Sounds like the builders have presumed its asbestos but have not tested to confirm. If they suspected it was an asbestos containing material (acm) then they shouldnt haven proceeed without appropriate PPE / methodology.

Regardless, soffit board and tiles that contain acms are usually considered low risk as the fibres are bound in a matrix and not easily released (until broken up). Have a look on HSE website for the 'asbestos essentials' sheets for disposing of asbestos and follow that. I would suggest that once large bits are removed that you hose down the area to wash any debris away. Obviously keep kids inside until sorted.

On the anxiety front you shouldnt worry too much, as above, the type of materials in question are likely to be the low risk variety and in an outdoor environment any loose fibres will likely be blown away from the immediate araa. FYI there are asbestos fibres in the air all the time, you cant avoid it. Although, obviously you should try and limit your exposure.