PDA

View Full Version : Dark mole

pandaloverx
26-07-18, 20:08
Hi, I’m 23 years old and I’ve been on this forum in the past looking at various issues and I decided to make a post about a mole. I have serious health anxiety, it’s awful! I only discovered my mole on Saturday and I have sat and googled various pictures, trying to see things identical to mine. I’m so worried.

The mole appeared under my arm and I can’t remember if I’ve had it before and I only noticed it a few days ago. I’m driving myself crazy with worry, after reading up about Melanoma especially.

I visited my doctor on Monday and he said he doesn’t know what it is but that he wants to remove it as it looks abnormal. I’m getting it removed tomorrow via local anaesthetic and stitches. I’m terrified. I’ve never been in this situation before and I keep on crying. This mole is darker than any of the moles on my body. It doesn’t itch, hasn’t bled.. it’s just dark which concerns me. I used SkinVision to try and identify it and it came back as high risk. They then messaged me to say it’s not urgent after having looked at it but to go to my doctor.

I just really am scared of what this could be. I’ve never had anything like this before and I wonder if anyone’s ever had one like this? The doctor said it may be a Dysplastic Nevi but he wasn’t certain.

Thank you :(

lucymarie
26-07-18, 20:36
Hi Panda,

I too am having a lot of difficulties with skin cancer anxiety so I completely understand how you feel. Although I can’t give you a guarantee your mole is fine, the vast majority of mole biopsies turn out to be benign. Melanoma is very rare and for every melanoma there will be thousands of super dodgy moles (some that look even worse than the melanomas!) that turn out absolutely fine. The thing to focus on is that you have visited the doctor and are being proactive - I had a mole removed recently and it was a very non traumatic process even though I’d bigged it up in my head. You feel so much better once it’s gone too so you haven’t got it there to obsess over. Some stats that may help - 9/10 moles biopsied are benign and 9/10 of those that aren’t are considered to be early stage. So luck is on your side! Stay strong, you will get through this. Hugs x

pandaloverx
26-07-18, 20:39
Hi Panda,

I too am having a lot of difficulties with skin cancer anxiety so I completely understand how you feel. Although I can’t give you a guarantee your mole is fine, the vast majority of mole biopsies turn out to be benign. Melanoma is very rare and for every melanoma there will be thousands of super dodgy moles (some that look even worse than the melanomas!) that turn out absolutely fine. The thing to focus on is that you have visited the doctor and are being proactive - I had a mole removed recently and it was a very non traumatic process even though I’d bigged it up in my head. You feel so much better once it’s gone too so you haven’t got it there to obsess over. Some stats that may help - 9/10 moles biopsied are benign and 9/10 of those that aren’t are considered to be early stage. So luck is on your side! Stay strong, you will get through this. Hugs x

Thank you so so much, I’m so sorry you’re having anxiety too. I feel like I’m driving everyone nuts going on about it :( I’m so nervous for tomorrow but I’m glad I noticed it and having it removed is one less thing to worry over. really, thank you so much for replying to this x

lucymarie
26-07-18, 20:41
Thank you so so much, I’m so sorry you’re having anxiety too. I feel like I’m driving everyone nuts going on about it :( I’m so nervous for tomorrow but I’m glad I noticed it and having it removed is one less thing to worry over. really, thank you so much for replying to this x

I totally understand, my family are sick to the back teeth of me! I’ve been dragging this whole thing on for months and I’ve made myself a complete state it’s ridiculous. I promise you you will get through tomorrow and most likely look back and wonder what you were worrying about, it’s always a scary thought thinking of the what ifs but it really is a very quick and simple procedure - I’ve had dentist visits more stressful! Send me a message tomorrow and let me know how you got on :) x

pandaloverx
26-07-18, 20:55
I totally understand, my family are sick to the back teeth of me! I’ve been dragging this whole thing on for months and I’ve made myself a complete state it’s ridiculous. I promise you you will get through tomorrow and most likely look back and wonder what you were worrying about, it’s always a scary thought thinking of the what ifs but it really is a very quick and simple procedure - I’ve had dentist visits more stressful! Send me a message tomorrow and let me know how you got on :) x

Thank you so much! I’m known for over thinking things so much. I wish I wasn’t like this! I see stories or google my symptoms and then I freak out, it’s horrible. Everyone’s been so annoyed with me and I keep bugging my family asking them what they think it is! And I’m always nervous going to the dentist too, so that does make me feel better. I’ve had 2 impacted wisdom teeth removed before :roflmao: so hopefully this is easier!xx

ErinKC
27-07-18, 12:53
I have a million moles and some of them are super weird - lumpy, dark, multicolored, etc... Every once in a while one worries me, but my doctor is never concerned. I just had one removed from my back because my bra strap kept irritating it. It was also totally fine. Yours looks very small and pretty normal to be melanoma. But, you did the right thing! My derm also tells me any time I see something new or that concerns me just pop in for a visit and they'll check it out. Waiting for results is always so stressful, but you'll make it through!

pandaloverx
20-01-19, 20:46
Update: it was a dysplastic Nevi. I went through such an anxious time and I worried so so much, Googled for weeks and then went to the doctors, had to have it removed and learned it was nothing to worry over :) thank you everyone. X

bin tenn
21-01-19, 02:35
Update: it was a dysplastic Nevi. I went through such an anxious time and I worried so so much, Googled for weeks and then went to the doctors, had to have it removed and learned it was nothing to worry over :) thank you everyone. X

Great news! I agree that I also wouldn't call it suspicious, but I'm no dermatologist. Either way, glad you got good news.

BrightPhoenix
21-01-19, 06:53
Good to hear. Just keep vigilant with your skin care - this stuff is treatable if you keep an eye on it and catch it early and good dermatologists encourage you to visit them if you have any questions about your skin. Nothing to be too anxious about as long as you stay vigilant.