PDA

View Full Version : Brain won’t let me sleep

Caribou93
27-07-18, 00:36
For awhile now, I’ve had a weird anxious thought and it’s preventing me from sleeping normally. I think to myself when I try falling asleep, “oh I can’t go to bed, I’ll be unconscious, stay awake.” And then I have a rush of adrenaline because my brain is starting to doze off. I don’t know why this happens, but it’s like I’m worried about not being conscious or something. It’s hard to explain, but this is preventing me from sleeping normally like I used to. I use to be able to just lay down and I’d knock off with no problem. But now my brain is saying “don’t sleep, you’ll be unconscious” and I’ll be awake again. What on Earth should I do?

KK77
27-07-18, 01:03
As this sleep issue has been going on for a while now, maybe it's time you spoke to a doc about it?

Doesn't look like it will simply disappear on its own...

Caribou93
27-07-18, 19:15
Well for example, last night, I still had this mindset of "oh, I'll be unconscious, no thoughts, etc." But, I ended up getting 9 hours of sleep...so my actual sleep isn't necessarily the problem, it's just that my brain has this thought of "oh, you're drifting off, stay awake" if that makes any sense. So, my question is, has this happened to anyone else? It's happened a few other times before, but it went away. This time, I feel like it's just sticking around. Like, I'll feel kind of anxious during the day because I know I'll have these thoughts again tonight.

NancyW
27-07-18, 19:36
Did you see KK77's response or are you ignoring it?

Caribou93
27-07-18, 22:14
Never mind

KK77
27-07-18, 23:04
Never mind

Don't be so petulant :lac:

HelloPanda23
28-07-18, 04:20
As this sleep issue has been going on for a while now, maybe it's time you spoke to a doc about it?

Doesn't look like it will simply disappear on its own...

A therapist is the better word, what’s a doctor going to do about a anxious thought that bothers someone from getting sleep? Only thing they can do is prescribe medication and that’s not the best route to take, in my opinion.

KK77
28-07-18, 15:10
A therapist is the better word, what’s a doctor going to do about a anxious thought that bothers someone from getting sleep? Only thing they can do is prescribe medication and that’s not the best route to take, in my opinion.

Doctor, cobbler, cabinet-maker... What use when OP is not listening?

Caribou93
28-07-18, 20:15
I wasn't trying to act like a child, but it just frustrates me that this is happening. Because like I said, this has happened in the past, but it's gone away. I just don't understand why it started back up in the first place.

But, what would I even say to a therapist? I can't sleep because my brain doesn't want me to fall into unconsciousness?

Fishmanpa
28-07-18, 20:31
But, what would I even say to a therapist? I can't sleep because my brain doesn't want me to fall into unconsciousness?

Among anything and everything else, yes!

Positive thoughts

Caribou93
31-07-18, 18:09
Just my luck, I can’t get an appointment for almost a month out...seems to be happening a lot lately with any medical professional around here. But, until then, what am I supposed to do? Now I have this constant state of anxiety, and I can’t understand where this problem came from. Like I can’t be unconscious, my brain surges and I can’t fall asleep like I used to. I eventually do fall asleep and I get about 7-8 hours of sleep usually, but this problem seems to be getting worse, and I don’t know if I can wait for a month before I see someone. What should I do until then?