PDA

View Full Version : Facial Numbness / tingling, please help to reassure

breeze25
12-08-07, 18:59
Ok starting to freak myself out.

No matter how much I tell myself that what is happening to me is anxiety, there is always that little seed of doubt, but what if its not anxiety, what if this time its something else.

My latest is that I have been having neck/shoulder pain/aches, and had a massage on Friday, and for the past few days my face has felt a little weird, not all the time, but left side feels slightly numb, my chin, cheeks and lips.

I had been ok for a couple of week following a nasty bout of anxiety, and thought I was on te mend, now back down again.:lac:

Do other people get these symptoms? I have a doctors appointment next week to get results from an xray I had, so if not gone I will mention it then.

honeybee3939
12-08-07, 19:48
Hi Mev

I get the tingling and numbness too, its quite normal with anxiety sufferers, so try not to worry hun.:hugs:

Heres a link to the common problem page http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=7794

and also if you scroll down to the very bottom of this page there are some posts about it too.

You could also mention it to your gp for reasurance.

Hugs
:hugs:
Andrea
xxx

Greeneyed
13-08-07, 09:58
Hi Mev, I get this alot, especially around my mouth and I feel I can't move my lips properly, I also get it in my hands and feet - it used to scare the hell out of me, but now I know it is anxiety and usually the start of a panic attack. It tends to get worse the more I think about it. My first line of defence with this is to try to distract myself immediately, go for a walk, do a chore, gardening etc - it usually works.

I am sure it will just be your anxiety.

Take care xx

PUGLETMUM
13-08-07, 11:48
:hugs: hi mev,

i know what you mean about the seed of doubt, dont we all ?

thats mainly what keeps it going, not being able to accept the possibility that it could be something else, or not believing that you could cope if it was something else?

so there isnt anything i can say about the seed of doubt except try to accept that there is always the chance that something could be wrong, and that goes for all of us!! we cannot escape change, good or bad, but we can believe in our ability to cope with it?

also i suffer the pins and needles/tingling very badly and always have, basically it is one of the main symptoms of hyperventilation, i suggest you read up about it and try to correct it by practising frequently your breathing so you get the o2/co2 balance back to where it should be.

all the best:yesyes:

breeze25
14-08-07, 18:04
many thanks for your replied.

I work part time and when I working I hardly notice it, but when I am at home sitting or relaxing, then I can feel it more, its constant and I have not had a panic attack for todays.

It also put the doubts in that I don't have anything to be anxious about, I was getting over a nasty bout when this has come back on again.

witherz
14-08-07, 19:46
hi mev you are ok babes i get this too, i feel as tho my mouth especially does not belong to me, upsetting and frightening but it will not hurt you. to test yourself, when you are not terribly anxious you will notice it is not there, this proves it is local if it was something more deep seated it would be there all the time. take care x

Greeneyed
15-08-07, 08:30
Hi Mev, The fact that you don't notice it at work (when you are distracted)suggests even more that it is anxiety related as it is happening more when you have less distractions and you are not focussing on it all the time. I know if I think about this then I can bring it on, I understand it is very scary so when you notice it your anxiety increases and the synptoms just continue - it is of course a vicious circle.

When it next happens at home try going for a walk and see if the distraction makes it go away - I am sure it will. Try to tell yourslef when it happens that it is okay it is just anxiety and it will go away in a bit then distract yourslef with something until it's gone. I know this is probably easier said than done.

I really find going for a walk helps, or try a hot bath with lavender oil. xxx

breeze25
15-08-07, 21:29
many thanks I feel so much better.

I remember feeling all like this years ago, because its been so long I think I am just getting used to it, i have tried taking some kalms as well as rescue remedy, so hopefully I can sleep tonight and start a new day tomorrow with a little more positive attitude, thanks to everyone who has posted, it really makes a different, its so re-assuring knowing its not just me and I am not going crazy.