PDA

View Full Version : facts vs fear of lymphoma

eminence
28-07-18, 12:24
- just 0.4% of patients under the age of 40 with "unexplained lymphadenopathy" end up having malignancies
- just 4-5% of new cancers are non-Hodgkins Lymphoma
- just 5% of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma are diagnosed in patients under 34 years old (I am 20)
- as a white male, my LIFETIME risk of getting NHL is just 2%
- the lymph nodes in my neck have stayed the same size for about a year
- I have no family history of lymphoma

I still can't shake the feeling I have a stealthy lymphoma. I am more likely to die of heart disease or a car crash at my age but I'm not scared of those things. I just booked another appointment with a new GP, I know it's wrong but I hope this time I'll get closure.

Nervousmommy
28-07-18, 17:26
Thanks for sharing this. I’m also terrified of lymphoma. Which is weird because I normally go for diseases that are far more deadly.

EmiliNickson
28-07-18, 18:58
Helpful info. Everyone should keep this in mind.

anxious123
30-07-18, 10:04
i’m a also terrified and have been the last few months due to many swollen nodes and other physical symptoms that can logically be put down to anxiety. this post has helped a lot, i’m to going to see a doctor, although had bloods done a couple of months ago after the doc examined three nodes. thank you for your post please update me on your situation :)

SetYourMindFree
30-07-18, 12:19
I chuckled at this a little bit. Not because it isn't true but because I am a white, 30 year old Male with zero family history, who was diagnosed with NHL. Ha! :)

If you have questions about your lymph nodes, go get them checked out. I had a swollen node that didn't change for 10 years that was non-cancerous. Then one popped up on my neck and grew to golf ball in 3 months. That's difference between lymphoma and benign swollen nodes.

Fishmanpa
30-07-18, 12:52
I chuckled at this a little bit. Not because it isn't true but because I am a white, 30 year old Male with zero family history, who was diagnosed with NHL. Ha! :)

If you have questions about your lymph nodes, go get them checked out. I had a swollen node that didn't change for 10 years that was non-cancerous. Then one popped up on my neck and grew to golf ball in 3 months. That's difference between lymphoma and benign swollen nodes.

So, still in treatment? Remission? Hope you're doing Ok.

What you said is what I post here constantly...

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Positive thoughts

SetYourMindFree
30-07-18, 13:21
So, still in treatment? Remission? Hope you're doing Ok.

What you said is what I post here constantly...

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Positive thoughts

I'm doing good. In my first round of chemo still. Heading there as we speak. Every 3 Monday's for 18 weeks.

You are absolutely correct about cancer cells.

lofwyr
30-07-18, 14:09
I know a handful of lymphoma patients, and most of them are doing great. They have made a lot of headway with lymphoma these days, best of luck to you with your chemo and further treatment.

Fishmanpa
30-07-18, 15:25
I'm doing good. In my first round of chemo still. Heading there as we speak. Every 3 Monday's for 18 weeks.

Keep up the good fight fellow Warrior!

Positive thoughts

eminence
31-07-18, 06:09

Hope it goes well man, stay calm and reach out if you need it.

Willtyler
17-07-19, 18:57
Hey, I hope you see this!

You said you had a swollen lymph node for 10 years, did the doctors say what was the cause of it? I have multiple lymph nodes swollen in my neck and i’m getting one biopsied here soon and i’m convinced it’s cancer.