PDA

View Full Version : Daily symptom blog. What sensations do you have today?

jojo2316
30-07-18, 14:46
So when I was having CBT my therapist had me list my daily symptoms and sensations along with my level of concern about them. I actually found it very helpful especially in hindsight as I can see anxiety patterns and symptoms recurring..... and I can see that what I think today is a new and worrying symptom, I actually had two years ago! So since I’m having a worried phase at the moment, I thought I’d try making a list on here. It might help others to see their symptoms are not unique and help me get perspective too. Please please add your own if you would like!:hugs:

Today.
Woke with slight headache
Nervous butterfly feeling in tummy.
Mild abdominal pains that move about
Abdominal tenderness that moves about.
Back pain that moves about
A weird buzzing sensation in lower right rib cage
Sudden spasm pain in upper left abdomen which spread to back. Lasted about 3 seconds but VERY worrying.
Fear pancreatic cancer. Belief I have it: low based on statistics, but possible.
Anxiety 7:10

Fishmanpa
30-07-18, 15:18
I understand the reasons why you would start a thread like this BUT..... It keeps you focused on your anxiety symptoms, is reassurance seeking and IMO, that's detrimental to treating your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
30-07-18, 17:02
I thought I might get ticked off by you FMP!!
But I disagree - in the past doing this has made me realise that my symptoms are in fact anxiety symptoms (not cancer symptoms as I invariably think at the time!!). I only wish I could find where I wrote my symptoms down from a decade ago!!

MarkyMark88
30-07-18, 17:12
Today
Lightheadedness
Pounding heart (steady, not fast)

Symptoms started three hours after waking up. Cardiovascular problems, usually first thing that comes to mind with these symptoms. But I'm going to boil it down to it being a Monday at work, with work being a trigger to anxiety because this is where I have spent lots of time with my old friend Dr. Google. Also, a place where I have had panic attacks. Thinking the fact that I am tapering off my clonazepam and have not had any in my system since last evening as a possible contributor.

melfish
30-07-18, 17:14
Hmm, this might be a great tool when you are being guided by a therapist, but it's a pretty terrible idea for a healthy anxiety board imo. Asking people in the throes of HA, most of whom aren't in treatment, to listen to and amplify every bit of body noise is just feeding the monster, and as FMP points out it's also detracting from the real issue, which is anxiety. Heck, it may even spark new fears when people hone in on a sensation and/or symptom they hadn't noticed (or thought of, or looked for, or googled) before. You get the idea. HA needs food, and lists like this provide it. For example, someone may now subconsciously make an association between stomach sensations and pancreatic cancer, and hey, presto!, they have a new fear. Because that's this how health anxiety business works. That's all the HA mind needs. A vague association, a retained memory of a symptom, the mention of a disease. Then bam!

I know this post was made in good faith, but I think it may well prove detrimental

KK77
30-07-18, 17:17
I think this keeps you in the symptom cycle too. Whether or not you're aware of your HA, you're still focusing on a possible cause of your symptoms (eg, pancreatic cancer in your case).

jojo2316
30-07-18, 17:22
Okkkkkkk! Point taken!:shrug::blush:

It just i have this left sided sensation which I thought was new and concerning, then I was looking at some therapy notes from a year ago and there it was! Same concern!
Quite a wake up call.

KK77
30-07-18, 17:29
Okkkkkkk! Point taken!:shrug::blush:

It just i have this left sided sensation which I thought was new and concerning, then I was looking at some therapy notes from a year ago and there it was! Same concern!
Quite a wake up call.

Although I don't agree with this personally, I know you posted it with good intentions, and there are no forum rules against it (AFAIK).

Your call, Jojo ;)

pulisa
30-07-18, 17:46
I have to agree with the others, jojo. For me it would be the worst possible thread for HA sufferers even though they may think it beneficial at the time.

But as KK says, it is your thread and your therapist has advised you to do this. I hope you are able to lessen your anxiety and feel better and more comfortable very soon.

Fishmanpa
30-07-18, 17:57
I thought I might get ticked off by you FMP!!
But I disagree - in the past doing this has made me realise that my symptoms are in fact anxiety symptoms (not cancer symptoms as I invariably think at the time!!). I only wish I could find where I wrote my symptoms down from a decade ago!!

Can you not just look HERE (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms) instead of feeding your dragon?

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
30-07-18, 19:28
That’s what I’m aiming for! Physical symptoms of anxiety real-time !!
Can see I’m not going to convince you lot though!

Kathryn313
30-07-18, 22:22
Hi JoJo

Been a while since I have posted on the forum but if you look at my somewhat epic post (now I look back on it!), my therapist suggested the same and I used NMP for my outlet. It worked great for me and on rereading it tonight it helped me make sense of a sensation I am currently feeling.

Do what you need to do.x