PDA

View Full Version : Should I pay for private ultrasound? Lymph node hell

ames247
31-07-18, 14:34
Hey guys at the moment my HA is out of control. I can’t work/sleep/eat because of an enlarged lymph node in my groin on right side and two tender ones on left. I have had a recent abscess down below but had lots of antibiotics that cleared it up almost a month ago.
My gp said if it doesn’t go down within 2 weeks to go back and get it checked- in my head that means there is cause for concern. Although she can feel it definitely (it’s not me imagining them) Terrified it won’t go down and it will be the day before our family holiday when I have to go 😔 I asked out right is gp thought it was sinister she said no and that she wasn’t worried but why say go back? I’m convinced it’s lymphoma.
Anyway dilemma I have is this ruining my holiday of it hasn’t gone because I won’t be able to think straight. So I can get an ultrasound privately next Tuesday which will cost £300 and they can tell me there and then if there is anything sinister.
Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do? I don’t want to wait and be feeling like this the whole time I’m away?
This is the worst feeling in the entire world and I can’t stop feeling the whole world.

Fishmanpa
31-07-18, 14:39
I asked out right is gp thought it was sinister she said no and that she wasn’t worried but why say go back?

It's called CYA medicine. If she hadn't asked to follow up you'd be ruminating on that :shrug:

I'd tell you to enjoy your vacation but I've been around long enough to know that will be challenging. I wouldn't spend the money on an ultrasound but that's just me and I know you'll probably end up doing it regardless of what's said here so....

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
31-07-18, 14:55
Personally I wouldn't pay as £300 is a lot of money but if money is of no concern to you then you have to do what you feel is best.

We can't say either way to be fair - it is your choice.

ames247
31-07-18, 15:12
I really appreciate the replies guys. I just rang the clinic and they said I can pay £150 to just see a consultant to see if they think an ultra sound is actually warranted.
Fishmanpa and Nicola what type of doctor would be best for this? They have suggested a general surgeon?

nomorepanic
31-07-18, 15:18
I really don't know sorry. Have they told you they will see you without a referral from your GP then?

ames247
31-07-18, 15:21
I really don't know sorry. Have they told you they will see you without a referral from your GP then?

Yes as it is with an nhs consultant but private if that makes sense. I just wish I could trust what my go says and not need to do all this. I am hoping my meds kick in soon what I started last wed. I totally realise this problem is my anxiety but I can’t convince myself as hard as I try. I feel pathetic

Fishmanpa
31-07-18, 15:28
I just wish I could trust what my gp says and not need to do all this.

That's the key. Your doctor is not concerned and said to follow up in two weeks if needed. The thing is, you have to stop poking and prodding (I know you are!) and let it heal.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

KK77
31-07-18, 15:29
Sleep on it and see how you feel tomorrow. You're putting yourself under a lot of pressure right now.

ames247
31-07-18, 15:31
I know you are right fishmanpa.
Has this happened to you before? X

lucymarie
31-07-18, 17:25
Two weeks is fairly standard when they aren’t concerned, if she thought it was an issue she wouldn’t send you away to wait. If you personally feel paying for the scan is nessercary for your mental health then it’s entirely your choice, I can understand that feeling but I also know that to get better from our anxiety we have to learn to trust the doctors and resist the need for certainty. I am *fully* crap at this but I am trying really hard to take my own advice! :roflmao: Your GP will have seen SO many troublesome lymph nodes, she really wouldn’t send you away if she had even the smallest of concerns. I had a node pop up a good while after a bug bite once and it didn’t go down for months, but it didn’t get bigger either which is key. It’s most likely to do with your infection. It doesn’t have to be straight after the infection it shows up, our bodies are perculiar things. :shrug:

Fishmanpa
31-07-18, 19:31
I know you are right fishmanpa.
Has this happened to you before? X

I'm a Stage IV Head and Neck Cancer survivor. When my GP suspected something was up, I was booked for a CT w/contrast literally hours after my appointment.

You can waste your money on a test you don't need or use it on your holiday. Up to you :shrug:

Positive thoughts

pulisa
31-07-18, 19:48
Hey guys at the moment my HA is out of control. I can’t work/sleep/eat because of an enlarged lymph node in my groin on right side and two tender ones on left. I have had a recent abscess down below but had lots of antibiotics that cleared it up almost a month ago.
My gp said if it doesn’t go down within 2 weeks to go back and get it checked- in my head that means there is cause for concern. Although she can feel it definitely (it’s not me imagining them) Terrified it won’t go down and it will be the day before our family holiday when I have to go �� I asked out right is gp thought it was sinister she said no and that she wasn’t worried but why say go back? I’m convinced it’s lymphoma.
Anyway dilemma I have is this ruining my holiday of it hasn’t gone because I won’t be able to think straight. So I can get an ultrasound privately next Tuesday which will cost £300 and they can tell me there and then if there is anything sinister.
Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do? I don’t want to wait and be feeling like this the whole time I’m away?
This is the worst feeling in the entire world and I can’t stop feeling the whole world.

You would need a biopsy for a definitive diagnosis though.

Fishmanpa
31-07-18, 20:12
You would need a biopsy for a definitive diagnosis though.

While that's true, that only happens #1 If there's sufficient reason to investigate/test/scan and #2 if indeed the tests/scans indicate something amiss.

We're light years away from that. No sense in placing doubt where there is nothing to doubt. :shrug:

pulisa
31-07-18, 20:45
Just so long as the OP could accept the sonographer's opinion though and leave things at that?

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

The fact that you have had an infection down there only a short while ago is in itself a good indication that the swelling is a response to the abscess.

Private clinics will happily take your money for more or less instant availability however if your GP were truly worried you would have been referred under the NHS fast track scheme for an assessment and tests.

LE
31-07-18, 22:32
Hi after I had my middle child I had an abscess down below. I had antibiotics and surgery but I’ve still got lymph nodes from it. That was 5 years ago. Sometimes they don’t always go back to normal and that’s ok too x