PDA

View Full Version : A lot of hospital appointment and tests, update

KatiePink
01-08-18, 18:17
My health anxiety has been high lately, I've got many medical things going on which is causing me great worry but I am also glad it's all being addressed.

I've been referred to an endocrinologist, who I saw recently he did a check up and asked about my symptoms and looked at my medical history.
He then told me there's two paths he wants to look at, hormones, and my heart.

I've had all the hormone testing done and awaiting results. Awaiting an appointment for an ECG, also an echo cardiogram which is like an ultrasound of the heart, and to be fitted with a 24-48 hour heart monitor.

The results are in from my MRI of my inner ears for my pulsatile tinnitus, I have an appointment soon to discuss those and have a hearing test, then it will be scans on my neck to check the arteries etc.

As you can imagine I'm worried, I feel alone and scared but I want to feel positive and lucky that this is all being checked.

My symptoms have been since my baby was born, none improving and many getting worse.

Excessive sweating, I need a change of clothes regularly, sweating without any exertion.

Pounding heart and pulse, not fast but pounding.

Pulse in my right ear 24/7 that sounds like a bass drum.

Shortness of breath

Fatigue(more than usual)

Endocrinologist was great and discussed a lot, we also talked about my anxiety, he agreed that will be adding to this but does think I require some tests.

How do I stat positive, and not think the worst, convincing myself I will have heart failure or a clot.

IreneRumi
01-08-18, 18:28
Good luck! Sounds like you are being looked after by great doctors.

ErinKC
01-08-18, 18:33
I'm sorry you're going through this, it all sounds very stressful, especially with a baby. I know that many women can develop thyroid issues after having babies, so I would think there's a good chance it's hormonal. I hope your results come in quickly and give you some relief!!

KatiePink
01-08-18, 19:31
Thank you, I am hoping it's hormonal and can be fixed. I've had my thyroid checked but have been told that test isn't always accurate so the endocrinologist is best to diagnose.

pulisa
01-08-18, 19:49
The endocrinologist will run more specific tests for hyperthyroidism.

I hope you get some answers soon, Katie and I'm sorry you have had such a bad time since becoming a Mum. I hope things improve very soon for you and your little family x

KatiePink
01-08-18, 20:26
The endocrinologist will run more specific tests for hyperthyroidism.

I hope you get some answers soon, Katie and I'm sorry you have had such a bad time since becoming a Mum. I hope things improve very soon for you and your little family x

Thank you so much Pulisa, it's been a rough ride but you have to keep your chin up for your little one don't you. It's very difficult most days and come her sleep time I find myself crying often, it builds through the day as I'm struggling physically to play with her or go out very far, I feel terrible and like I'm not good enough for her, but my partner sets me straight on that. X

pulisa
01-08-18, 20:52
You're bound to feel low with all the worry and pain, Katie. Anxiety will just make the symptoms and fatigue worse. You're being treated now and your endocrinologist sounds as if he's doing his best for you-you're not being fobbed off and are having the relevant tests.

You mustn't be hard on yourself-you must get well for your baby girl and you'll have plenty of time to play with her and take her out once you are feeling better and stronger xx

Catherine S
01-08-18, 21:03
Hormones have alot to answer for throughout our teens, during the child bearing years and then on the lead up to the menopause. I suffered so many physical and mental symptoms through all those years Katie, and ended up on tranquilisers when symptoms got really bad, including heart beating very strongly and erratically, breathlessness, headaches, extreme tension and anxiousness.

The run up to the menopause were particularly bad years and lasted for most of my 40s, and it wasn't until my mid 50s that an underactive thyroid first showed up in a blood test, but i'd had the symptoms since my 30s. I'm in my 60s now and can finally say that I've got through the worst of it all. I've never been offered HRT so I don't know if it would've helped, instead ive been given meds to control anxiety and they came with side effects that just added to the mess.

I hope you get some answers Katie, it's no fun trying to cope whilst not knowing what's causing the symptoms.

Take care
Cath ☺ x

KatiePink
01-08-18, 21:25
You're bound to feel low with all the worry and pain, Katie. Anxiety will just make the symptoms and fatigue worse. You're being treated now and your endocrinologist sounds as if he's doing his best for you-you're not being fobbed off and are having the relevant tests.

You mustn't be hard on yourself-you must get well for your baby girl and you'll have plenty of time to play with her and take her out once you are feeling better and stronger xx

The thought of being better and being able to enjoy my baby as I should is what keeps me going, I think of it every night and hope the next day will be better, thsnkyou xX

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Hormones have alot to answer for throughout our teens, during the child bearing years and then on the lead up to the menopause. I suffered so many physical and mental symptoms through all those years Katie, and ended up on tranquilisers when symptoms got really bad, including heart beating very strongly and erratically, breathlessness, headaches, extreme tension and anxiousness.

The run up to the menopause were particularly bad years and lasted for most of my 40s, and it wasn't until my mid 50s that an underactive thyroid first showed up in a blood test, but i'd had the symptoms since my 30s. I'm in my 60s now and can finally say that I've got through the worst of it all. I've never been offered HRT so I don't know if it would've helped, instead ive been given meds to control anxiety and they came with side effects that just added to the mess.

I hope you get some answers Katie, it's no fun trying to cope whilst not knowing what's causing the symptoms.

Take care
Cath ☺ x

Thank you Cath, I can't believe it took so long for a diagnosis. I'm not really clued up on hyper/hypo thyroidism problems which is surprising since I thought I'd researched every medical problem out there lol!

All I know is that the anxiety i have felt these last few months is so unlike my previous anxiety, so intense and uncontrollable really, the sweating the heart pounding it's all so tiring. I've had a million and one strange symptoms postpartum that have gone as quickly as they arrived, postpartum thyroiditis has been mentioned so we will see xx

KatiePink
02-08-18, 21:36
Having a bad night. Found myself deep in Google and reading stories of people who were suffering similar to me and had heart failure due to a 'thyroid storm'. I can't do anything without my heart pounding and sweating I'm breathless so easily, my neck and ear pounding away every second and I'm losing my mind. I'm terrified I have heart failure and don't know how I'm going to wait weeks for these heart tests. What else would they be doing them for? I should have asked them why.

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

They also asked me if my ankles were ever swollen to which I told them yes some nights they are. Why didn't I ask them more, everything now points towards they suspect heart failure. But if so how can they just let you wait

MyNameIsTerry
03-08-18, 05:10
Katie,

Sounds like they are doing a lot of "look see" testing. You know what doctors are like for ordering a wide spectrum of tests just to see what is fine and what looks like it needs follow up.

I got picked up for Hypertension this year from a free health check and found myself on the end of blood tests, heart checks, etc. All routine according to the senior nurse who dealt with it, nothing expected to be an issue according to the GP who had to have a listen prior to prescribing meds. It went on for months. My dad said "now they've got you for that you'll never be rid of them" as both my parents have been on the end of this with years of follow up checks.

Try to view it that way. Like when you go into A&E with a bunch of symptoms and the doctor rattles off a million tests at the nurses, some of which may just come back fine.

Talk to them if you need reassurance about anything. Given how upset the unpleasantness of this issue is causing it's easy to be swept away into the horror stories.

KatiePink
03-08-18, 11:00
Katie,

Sounds like they are doing a lot of "look see" testing. You know what doctors are like for ordering a wide spectrum of tests just to see what is fine and what looks like it needs follow up.

I got picked up for Hypertension this year from a free health check and found myself on the end of blood tests, heart checks, etc. All routine according to the senior nurse who dealt with it, nothing expected to be an issue according to the GP who had to have a listen prior to prescribing meds. It went on for months. My dad said "now they've got you for that you'll never be rid of them" as both my parents have been on the end of this with years of follow up checks.

Try to view it that way. Like when you go into A&E with a bunch of symptoms and the doctor rattles off a million tests at the nurses, some of which may just come back fine.

Talk to them if you need reassurance about anything. Given how upset the unpleasantness of this issue is causing it's easy to be swept away into the horror stories.

Thanks Terry.

I know this is terrible and I'm not one for doing it but I ended up in A&E last night. Shortness of breath and pounding heart. All that was going through my mind was that i know an echo cardiogram is always ordered within two weeks if a doctor suspects heart failure. I convinced myself it must be this as thyroid issues can lead to it.

Anyway I had bloods done and an ECG, and a doctor listen to my heart with a stethoscope in numerous places and all was fine. He saw I was in a bad way and started to talk to me about my anxiety, I admitted that these tests being ordered have convinced me of XY and Z.

He was very nice and said we will always say to come in with these symptoms even if you have anxiety, however there is pretty much 0% chance it's your heart. He said the same as you that the endocrinologist has ordered those tests based on the symptoms I've told him but only because he must do as standard protocol. He then said he thinks hormones(thyroid) issue is very likely here, as he took a look at my hands and noted the redness on the outer edge of each palm which has been bugging me for some time.

Told me to go home and relax await my blood results and heart tests and reckons all of this is postpartum issues that will more than likely resolve itself.

pulisa
03-08-18, 12:53
I think you had some excellent advice there from the A&E doctor, Katie. Your thyroid blood tests results will be back very soon and any abnormality can be treated promptly. Have you lost any weight at all despite eating normally? I know you mentioned flushing before. It could well be an overactive thyroid coupled with rampant anxiety (understandably) which will make the symptoms more pronounced..

I know it's awful waiting but the results will be back quickly with thyroid stuff. I think you did the right thing by going to A&E because the doctor was able to help you and eliminate worst case scenario fears. I know that you still need to have some answers though but the only thing you can do know is wait for the endocrinologist to contact you, safe in the knowledge that you aren't in any imminent danger xx

MyNameIsTerry
03-08-18, 14:21
It's hard to understand how scary anxiety can be unless you've experienced it. I can remember wishing they would section me and I spent a long time having intense periods where I wished all sorts of cancers on myself so I could escape. It's about being in pain, those with physical conditions go through it too. Whilst it's natural to feel ashamed it's best to put it behind you, remember everyone reaches out when in pain.

Sounds like you got a good doctor there. I'm glad to hear he confirmed the tests are just procedure.

As for the two week thing, that's not strictly true I believe. Many a GP has used the priority testing route commonly associated with cancer testing to speed up results because they may be aware non priority is a queue of months. There are people on here who have experienced this who worried it was an admission of a bigger concern to find their GP just wanted it quickly because of the impact on the person's mental health or that an issue had been going on for so long that they wanted it sorting quicker. Don't second guess your doctor's reasons, ask them if you are worried. I expect it's about both in your situation because it's going on too long and he may be concerned because of the potential impact on a new mother and her baby. They know how important this time is to you both.

If a GP has an urgent need for attention they can use their fast track hospital route too, even this can be for less scary sounding reasons where they are being cautious e.g. my elderly mother has been through it because she needed fluid replacement due to illness and her various long term health issues coupled with her age group meant more precautions.

KatiePink
03-08-18, 14:57
Thank you both for your replies. I know I need to accept, it's all about acceptance of what is and not wandering what if!
Pulisa my weight has been pretty steady postpartum, my appetite has been huge though so I've been surprised I haven't put on any weight. I did lose 7lbs one week and was shocked, but 3lbs of that came back lol. So not really any weight loss which is associated with hyper. We shall see, you're right I am getting the correct tests and they're listening to me so I am glad of that.

ErinKC
03-08-18, 15:45
I'm glad the doctor was so kind to you. I had such a dreadful time with anxiety postpartum. It's so difficult to deal with that plus being a mom. I waited a long time (almost a year) to really get help vs just seeing doctors for perceived problems. I found a great therapist who helped me so much!! Postpartum anxiety is so common. Having a baby is so life altering in every way and it can really mess with your body and mind.

KatiePink
03-08-18, 18:54
I'm glad the doctor was so kind to you. I had such a dreadful time with anxiety postpartum. It's so difficult to deal with that plus being a mom. I waited a long time (almost a year) to really get help vs just seeing doctors for perceived problems. I found a great therapist who helped me so much!! Postpartum anxiety is so common. Having a baby is so life altering in every way and it can really mess with your body and mind.

Thank you it really is unlike any anxiety I've ever had. A complete life change(for the better) however overwhelming, my body has been all over the place since.

KatiePink
05-08-18, 10:34
Me again I would like others opinions on this please, I know it's suspected I might have hyperthyroidism therefore an increased heart rate so I have took that into account however

I have a heart rate/pulse app on my phone.. I know I know I shouldn't and they can be inaccurate but I've tried it against the machines in hospital and it's been bang on and with my partner,

My heart rate when lying down resting to go to sleep can drop as low as 55bpm usually, but as soon as I wake in the morning it's 90bpm, if I'm stood up its always above 90 which I know can be fine.

Last night I went to my grans house as every month we play a cards night with some of the family. I really enjoy it and there is nothing about this situation that gives me anxiety, however I felt my heart pounding, racing for a good hour. I went to the toilet and checked and it was 124bpm, the last time it was that high was when I was in hospital with my partner so put it down to stress,
When it's going this fast my nose will always feel stuffy, sort of inflamed which I'm guessing is an increase in blood pressure

Once I got home and relaxed more it was down to 80bpm again, what im confused about it this wasn't a stressful or anxious situation I was having a great titime, so my question is can you be anxious really without knowing it? And can anxiety alone increase your heart rate so much?