PDA

View Full Version : So worried about pancreatic cancer and diabetes test....

Caseyg89
01-08-18, 22:32
Hey everyone!

I need some rational thinking. I have had fears of stomach cancer due to stomach issues over the past 1.5 years, after many doubted tests, I have started to believe that it can't be stomach cancer, but may be pancreatic cancer. I feel pancreatic cancer is a common fear with HA.

I have had 20 ultrasounds in the past year and a half, with the most recent one being a month ago due to temporary elevated liver enzymes. They noted my liver as totally normal and healthy, my pancreas as normal... etc. I also had an abdominal CT scan in Feb with no issues with abdominal organs.

So I had a gastric emptying study done a month ago to see if i had delayed emptying as a cause of my stomach issues. Turns out I don't! Apparently this is quite common with diabetes to they tested my blood for diabetes.

This is where my anxiety has been spiraling. So they sent me for two diabetes test. One is the 1AC test that looks at glucose over the past 3 months. This came back totally normal at 5.0 (over 6.5 is diabetes). I also had a random glucose test done, which means you don't need to fast. Anything under 7.8 is normal for this test. So I had gone all night without eating, had a bowl of cereal and some juice in the morning and 45 minutes later had my blood taken. My result was 5.6. This is NORMAL for a non-fasting blood test but would be re-diabetes by 0.1 if I was fasting. I just worry that there is no way that the juice and cereal could have impacted my blood sugars in 45 minutes. Now I am in a spiral, thinking I have diabetes, caused by pancreatic cancer.

Is this completely irrational?

nomorepanic
01-08-18, 22:44
Is it irrational? Yes I am afraid it is.

You have had more tests than most people in their lifetime and any problem would have been picked up to be honest.

Fishmanpa
01-08-18, 22:48
I have had 20 ultrasounds in the past year and a half...... Is this completely irrational?

:ohmy: Twenty ultra sounds? Wow! Respectfully, it's beyond irrational.

Positive thoughts

lucymarie
01-08-18, 22:58
20 :ohmy: frankly Im surprised they let you have that many scans in such a short period of time. The chance of either of those conditions being missed with diagnostics that thorough is minute.

Katie55
02-08-18, 00:02
No way juice and cereal could impact your blood sugar in 45 mins? Fruit juice raises blood sugar immediately- that's why it's a common food for diabetics to take if their level goes too low due to too high insulin. Cereal is all carbohydrate and is digested quickly. Therefore with this combination of foods your blood sugar would be raised quickly and stay that way for up to 2 hours. I am type 2 diabetic and couldn't have that combination of juice and cereal or my blood sugar would spike and not come down for ages. Incidentally, normal blood glucose range up to hours after a meal is under 7 so you are well within normal range

AMomentofClarity
02-08-18, 00:05
Honest question...do you doctor hop? I have to believe that’s the only way you could be getting so much excessive testing. All of those referrals are absolutely fueling your anxiety...you’ve become addicted to the reassurance and are completely unable to cope without it. It’s your drug.

Caseyg89
02-08-18, 00:35
No way juice and cereal could impact your blood sugar in 45 mins? Fruit juice raises blood sugar immediately- that's why it's a common food for diabetics to take if their level goes too low due to too high insulin. Cereal is all carbohydrate and is digested quickly. Therefore with this combination of foods your blood sugar would be raised quickly and stay that way for up to 2 hours. I am type 2 diabetic and couldn't have that combination of juice and cereal or my blood sugar would spike and not come down for ages. Incidentally, normal blood glucose range up to hours after a meal is under 7 so you are well within normal range

Thanks for the response. My HB1AC was also normal, so the doctor wasn't worried. I just thought maybe because I had fasted all night that the glucose level would be a fasting level, because I didn't realize that food increased blood sugar so quickly. I guess that's why blood donation places offer cookies and juice!

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

Honest question...do you doctor hop? I have to believe that’s the only way you could be getting so much excessive testing. All of those referrals are absolutely fueling your anxiety...you’ve become addicted to the reassurance and are completely unable to cope without it. It’s your drug.

I used to doctor hop really badly. I don't anymore! I just complete the tests that my GP and GI doctor order now.

I definitely agree that tests are my addiction. In the past 1.5 years, I have had 4 endoscopes, 2 colonoscopies, a CT scan, 2 barium swallows, multiple ultrasounds etc.

I think my anxiety looks for anything and that's why I am panicking about my glucose level. It is a normal level for non-fasting (I ate 45 mins. before my blood work was taken) but would be considered "pre diabetes" for fasting. I convinced myself It was actually fasting because my glucose couldn't have increased that quickly. Anything to confirm my fear.

I de

pulisa
02-08-18, 08:06
Yes tests are your addiction and your doctors are not challenging your addiction.