PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like OCD?

kalny
02-08-18, 07:39
I've been going through a heck of a lot recently with anxiety - mostly health anxiety. It has pretty much ruined my year by this point. I used to suffer terribly with this stuff in my teens but it naturally passed and I had been living with anxiety - but not as intense as this for many years.

Over the last month or so I've found myself becoming more and more germaphobic. I wash my hands constantly after touching things that could infect me. I do this because I fear getting unwell. Sometimes I'll forget that I've touched something and then touch my face and get seriously worried about it.

I've also been really struggling being around people who are also unwell - one of my coworkers was unwell the other week and that troubled me greatly.

On top of this I have had some upsetting thoughts - nothing too drastic thankfully and nothing that would involve harming myself. I feel so upset when I have these thoughts because they aren't something I'd do, ever. They upset me and then I get into this kind of anxious/depressed cycle.

I've done some research online and for once it has actually made me feel better knowing that those thoughts are probably that of OCD and that I'm not going crazy (although I have felt like perhaps I am - which apparently is part of this package)

The underlying thing that unsettles me now is the question of why is this happening to me and why am I going through this when last year I was absolutely fine? It worries me to the core that there may be a deeper more sinister issue beyond that of being a bit stressed out and having a bad year. My health anxiety is off the charts with this, I guess I'm scared there's something physical that is causing me these problems.

I'm seeing a doctor in two weeks about this and can share what occurs if it will help others - right now I'm interested in hearing from others to see if I can relate and if there's anything I can do to alleviate all of this.

I'm currently doing CBT for anxiety which I've been doing for a while; I've found it helps sometimes. I can't take meds at the moment as I had an adverse reaction to sertraline(spelling?) which did not help at all...

I feel so lost. I've posted here quite a bit this year with various worries, they all seem to pass but feel so real and horrifying in the moment. I want the me from last year back, the one who was fine!