PDA

View Full Version : Arm/Hands Shake and Tremble When They Are Used for Physical Exertion

Rebek
02-08-18, 15:41
I've been a long time reader of the forum but have never posted. I developed health anxiety about 2 years ago that started with a weird burning with urination thing that has since gone away. Since then I have twitching, internal shaking feeling, abdominal pain, stomach issues, leg pain, an episode where my ears always felt full and couldn't pop, and the list goes on. I've been pretty good about understanding that these are anxiety and keeping myself busy to forget about them, but I've recently developed a really weird symptom that's freaking me out. About 2 months ago I started to feel arm fatigue when doing every day activities. Like they get tired really easily using my curling iron or stirring something. Then about a month ago, the kicker of them all, I started to having arm/hand shaking arms after physical use of them. For example I'd be holding a heavy box for a long-ish time and after I set it down my arms would shake/tremble, like a lot. Or for example when I do yoga and I do a lot of poses on my hands (like downward dog, etc.) afterwards my hands would shake/tremble. The same thing happened maybe 6-9 months ago but it went away fairly quickly without much thought.

I nearly had a panic attack in the last yoga class (which is very upsetting since I got to yoga to HELP my anxiety), which sent me to the Doctor who was 100% unhelpful and made me feel 100% worst. He basically said he had no idea and if it got worst I should go to a neurologist because it could be MS or ALS, although he did say it was unlikely. As you can imagine though, just mentioning those two things to people with health anxiety can send you into a downward spiral. He did not offer any other possibilities of what it could be either which really gets me. I've also had a kink in my neck since all this started but he said it was unrelated. I'm just looking to see if anyone has ever had this kind of anxiety related symptom before. It just seems weird that it only happens when I use my hands/arms to do something physical. For reference I'm 30 year old female, active but "pleasantly plump" frame.

Also, just want to say thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum. It has been immensely helpful since I developed HA.

katniss
02-08-18, 20:50
He said it could be MS or ALS? With all due respect, that’s crazy of him to say. You simply cannot tell someone they MAY have MS or ALS. Firstly, you are too young for ALS and secondly both MS and ALS are rare diseases. I have the weakness in my arms as well. I don’t work out a lot, so I’m not sure if they would be shaking after. But seriously it sounds like you just need to work out these muscles more and strengthen them. Can’t believe your doc said that. I’m so pissed at him. Lol.

One thing I do have is a tremor in my left hand. My left hand is my non dominant hand and it shakes a lot when I’m holding a cup or paper or anything like that. I’ve had it for a while and strangely enough (considering my health anxiety) I have never gotten it checked.

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

Also, just did a quick google search for you - and this is a common malady that affects many people. Don’t google yourself. I already did it for you. And usually it’s benign. Trust me :). Dehydration and “too much too soon” seem to be the most common causes. On a bunch of pages MS isn’t even listed as a cause. So if I were you I would relax

stu8383
18-08-18, 12:40
I have the same and my doctor told me the arms / hand shake are due to medication, a side effect. I can't even hold my arms up for more than a minute without bad shaking and pain. Very weird.

chrisfromflorida
18-08-18, 14:42
Hi-
I get weak and shaky in my arms and hands after doing strenuous activity. I often notice it with the hedge trimmers. After a few minutes of using them I can feel it. Really anything that requires tensing muscles for a period of time. I have had this for several years. Sometimes its worse than others. It is definitely not ALS as it has been long enough it would have progressed to something much worse. Also not MS as I have had a MRI with no signs.

I have been battling HA for 12 years or so. Had it under control until lately. It has been a fixation on poor memory and almost constant brain fog. Neuro sent me for a battery of tests including MRI and nothing. Honestly I almost wanted there to be MS at first as I was so worried about other diseases much worse than MS. Crazy I know.

I personally would not worry about these symptoms. The constant state of alert that your body is under due to the HA absolutely will have an effect on muscles.

And I agree that doctor was irresponsible to even say those words to anyone, much less someone who suffers from HA. I would find a new DR and tell her/him about your HA. That certainly helped me as my GP knows I am prone to HA and does not mention very unlikely causes to my myriad of symptoms.
Best of luck.

lofwyr
18-08-18, 16:34
Sounds like perfectly normal muscle exhaustion to me.

darkside4k
19-08-18, 00:09
I mean - it sounds like you just need to work out more? :)

JoeCanuck
19-08-18, 03:51
When I first started lifting weights, which was at the absolute height of my twitching and neuro disease fears, I felt like my entire body was in a paint mixer when I was exerting against a load. Funnily enough the first time I was doing an incline press, my arms were shaking like crazy and my personal trainer goes "THATS IT! IF YOU'RE SHAKING YOU'RE ACTUALLY TRYING". Made me feel a ton better about everything. It also helped a lot that I was able to do all the exercises, even if I was a bit clumsy at them because I'm not athletically inclined.

I still shake when I start lifting a heavier weight. I am shaky as hell for about an hour after doing a workout. I went onto some workout forums and it turns out that it's SUPER common to even be shakey for several hours or longer after a strenuous workout.

Exercise is hard, if it wasn't hard it wouldn't be good for us!

Lola-Lee
20-08-18, 01:13
My hands and arms ache and shake after I have been using the whipper snipper or mowing the lawn.I was told it was called white finger,nothing to worry about.

tan235
20-08-18, 03:24
omg seriously my arms tremble after carrying in the groceries! ha ha don't worry about it - move on to the next HA issue ... that one is not worth your trouble....