PDA

View Full Version : Just been to doctors now don’t know what to think!

Mumzy
02-08-18, 16:17
So I’ll cut a long story short.....8ish weeks ago google told me I had lymphoma!
I’ve had a lump near my collar bone for 3 years had it scanned 2 years ago all fine, it’s never got bigger nor smaller. So a couple months ago I get a few more lumps appear. Had bloods all came back fine apart from bilirubin was high, I had a re test and was still high though doctor said this was nothing of concern. 2 weeks ago I paid for a private scan on my neck (and also my abdomen due to the high bilirubin (liver) and my liver absolutely fine and yes I have a few noticeable lymph nodes but nothing suspicious.
So, I’ve had a stupid cough for around 6/7 weeks now, like a dry cough, I don’t feel ill in meself, no fever etc, I never cough when I’m in bed/during the night. I went to doctors this afternoon (had to see a nurse practitioner who can diagnose/refer/prescribe) who listened with a stethoscope and said my breathing sounds fine just not so clear when she listened to my lower back but said not concerned enough to give me antibiotics. I’d mentioned I’ve lost half a stone in the past 7/8 weeks without trying. Then she seemed very concerned, ‘right I’m booking you in with the GP tomorrow morning’ but then I mentioned my private scan and bloods etc so she took a look. Then said well why don’t we wait 2 weeks. And told me in the mean time to get some Gaviscon and try that and if cough not gone go back in a fortnight.
I don’t know what to think/feel now. I’m so down over all this and it’s making my anxiety worse.

lucymarie
02-08-18, 16:21
Well for a start google didn't tell you you have lymphoma, you decided you do based on your selective reading. We are all guilty of it but google isn't an actual doctor. Half a stone in 2 months to me doesn't sound like a dramatic amount of weight so I feel her reaction was a little disproportionate, particularly if you have had a cough or bug of some sort. It sounds like she was being cautious just in case but once she saw your scans she was confident the appointment wasn't necessary anymore.

Mumzy
03-08-18, 08:47
Thanks for your response. I know what you’ve said sounds correct!

ankietyjoe
03-08-18, 16:00
I agree with LM48. Doctors will often ramp up their checking procedures if it's more than one symptom present. I can lose as much as 3-4lbs overnight, regularly. It's just how we work sometimes, especially in this current heatwave in the UK. You're also just being referred to a GP by a nurse, you are presenting symptoms to somebody who's not qualified to really diagnose anything, so he/she is just looking for an opinion from somebody who is.

lofwyr
03-08-18, 16:20
I know someone who passed from lymphoma, and her body weight dropped dramatically and quickly. Yours isn't even remotely outside normal weight fluctuations. I could seriously lose that much cutting sugar and cream from my coffee.