PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety due to Dr ordering a STAT Ultrasound

djwoo1971
02-08-18, 19:19
I called my Dr because I have been experiencing pressure in my upper abdomen for a week...I dont feel like throwing up, just feel like if I could burp I would be fine. Gas X hasnt helped, no loss of apatite, bowel movements are normal...he ordered a STAT ultrasound and my appointment is tomorrow morning for results...My anxiety is so bad, I only think the worse...the tech said I shouldnt have anything to worry about...what they have to say?...they arent doctors... Should I be worried...I have read elsewhere that my Dr knows me and want to give me piece of mind by getting it done soon...I dont buy that...

D

Fishmanpa
02-08-18, 20:02
You'll know soon enough. Let us know what the doctor said.

Positive thoughts

ErinKC
02-08-18, 20:06
I had this. My doctor ordered an ultrasound to check for ulsur or gastritis. Everything was fine. I had minor irritation from taking a lot of Advil for back pain.

djwoo1971
02-08-18, 20:43
Thanks...It is the waiting...good thing is the only symptom is the stomach pressure

Halle0587
02-08-18, 22:01
From working in a medical setting, some doctors order everything STAT so they can do their paperwork/dictation and not have things hanging out there unfinished. Also, like you said some want it done stat to help the patients. Others, want it done stat bc they know the lead time can be a week or so out. Stat usually means within two days. Do come back and update us tomorrow. Prayers all is well and it’s minor irritation for you also.

djwoo1971
03-08-18, 18:30
Thanks for replying...My ultrasound came back "perfect" in my doctors words...She thinks it could be an ulcer or another type of stomach bacterial infection...running blood test and a breath test....

ErinKC
03-08-18, 18:58
This is exactly what happened to me. My doctor never 100% determined the cause, but after a week or so of mild diet and some extra Tums (and not worrying about it anymore!) it went away.

Halle0587
03-08-18, 20:38
Yay! So happy your ultrasound was normal!

I’m still struggling with this. Everything I eat causes like a squeezing tightness in the upper abdomen and then I have to run to the bathroom about an hour later. Hoping to find relief soon.

djwoo1971
04-08-18, 05:48
Hope you find relief as well...mine isnt unbearable just annoying for now..

ankietyjoe
04-08-18, 13:42
I have noticed that in the US, people are sent for tests so much more readily than here in the UK. The Doctor really should be able to diagnose this with questions rather than tests, often it's just a case of sitting it out for a week.

I guess it's just a side effect of insurance and profit based medicine. :shrug:

I'm sure it'll be like that here soon as well as the NHS is ripped apart on a weekly basis.

djwoo1971
04-08-18, 23:59
I lived in Australia for a few years and we noticed the same thing. Same for prescribing medications. In Australia they don’t throw meds at you and send you on your way. They tell you to go to the chemist and getting something for a little relief.

ankietyjoe
05-08-18, 11:57
I just feel that a patient going to a Doctor complaining of what is effectively gas or bloating can be diagnosed with questions and a little bit of monitoring. 99% of the time these things go away if it's not a chronic condition such as IBS etc. Escalating such a common complaint with tests that are likely to be unnecessary just fuels the 'what if' questions that those with HA constantly suffer with.

I know there's a fine line between care and caution, but this is just an observation I've made whilst being on these forums.