PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else suffer from Meinere's Disease or drop attacks?

GingerFish
03-08-18, 13:15
I've had what I am assuming are drop attacks for most of my life or at the very least since I became a teenager many moons ago. I've always suffered from vertigo on and off and my mum has had Meinere's Disease since she was 20.

I get vertigo or generic dizziness quite often but only get these 'drop attacks' once a month or so. Used to only get them maybe a couple of times a year until the last few years.

With the drop attacks, I could be sitting or standing there fine and then out of the blue, its like someone has pushed me or grabbed full force onto the ground while the room is spinning hard and I either fall to the ground if I am standing or fall on my side if I am sitting. It only lasts a few seconds at most and after it I feel fine except for feeling anxious and spooked. It still scares me no matter how many times I have had it happen. My ears often feel a bit weird after it, kind of puffy like cotton wool or something is stuck in them. My hearing sometimes cuts out or I can hear ringing in my left ear outwith the drop attacks.

I told my old GP about this years ago and they just said it was vertigo and didn't run any tests apart from looking in my ear and checking my BP, both of which were fine but I am determined to get to the root cause of this. It has happened when I am outside too, thankfully I had someone with me at the time and my husband always makes me walk on the inside just in case it ever happens and he always takes my hand. It worries me in case it happens when I am alone and then I fall onto the road or something. I often don't have time to grab anything to support myself when it happens because it happens so quickly and so strongly. Its a good think I can't drive either. I dread to think what would happen if it happened while I was driving.

Does anyone else have vertigo like this or experience with MD? Maybe isn't even that I have but it would be nice to talk to people who experience these attacks too as I feel alone and scared about it.

ErinKC
03-08-18, 15:58
I have no experience, but I think it's totally reasonable to see a doctor willing to help you get to the bottom of this. Also, I love your second Claire Weekes quote! That's so true for me and totally something I needed to hear today!

jray23
04-08-18, 04:21
I have never had anything like a drop attack, that does sound pretty scary! I do have inner ear/balance issues though. You wrote about your GP, if you haven't seen an ENT yet then I recommend it. GP's, of no fault of their own, typically don't know much about less common kinds of inner ear problems. Even some ENT's don't. Perhaps if your mother visits a good ENT for her Menieres try that one!

On a side note my uncle's wife had Meniere's, i found out when I mentioned my own issues, and she told me that one way she relieves it somewhat was daily meditation and keeping the anxiety away! Just like most of us need to on here!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

GingerFish
04-08-18, 14:30
Thanks guys for the replies :) I've managed to get an appt with my GP for Friday, so 6 days away. I've been with a new GP for the last year or so and so far, they are miles better than my last surgery. Never thought of bringing up the drop attacks since I've had them for years and only happen every month or so but I think its time to mention them now, especially since I have having other ear issues on the side. I think my hearing is fine and then out of nowhere, I hear/feel like a pop or pitch change and then I realise that before that happened, I was hearing buzzing and I couldn't hear as well until after that 'pitch/pop'. Its weird, it isn't like the pop you get when you change pressure, its more subtle but has a bigger impact to my hearing, if that makes sense? Happens quite often. Happened last night a few times in the same few mins.