PDA

View Full Version : It is possible!

beauty
13-08-07, 15:20
About 2 years ago i went through a few months phase of intense panic and worry, everything stopped i couldnt drive anywhere on my own, i couldnt eat, i could arely leave the house and was terrified of being on my own. BUT i did overcome it, i had a 10week free counselling which i had to wait a month for and i gradually started doing things which i had stopped doing and therefore had become afraid of, and gradually my life went back to normal!
Due to recent stress unfortunatley the panic has come back a bit, but i know im my head now that there is hope and i am able to overcome it, and the same goes for anyone else!!
Please dont give up cos i did back then but after encouragement to get moving again i did it :)

SammiB
13-08-07, 15:28
Thanks for those words beauty, its a great relief to know that things can go back to normal and that if you do have a small relapse that it does not have to ruin life yet again, i do have just started doing things i have become afraid of doing because of a panic, but i've just told myself that i don't do it i never will and if i keep on then i'll get over it.

i hope that you can go back to your life quickly and wish you all the best of luck

take care

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PUGLETMUM
13-08-07, 15:33
:D hi beauty,

thanks for that! once youve experienced anxiety/panic to the degree you did there is always the chance that it could happen again, the same with depression, if you dont get to root cause it can come back or it can just come back anyway. there can be a cyclical nature to these disorders, especially if youve been suffering stress.

the benefit of having it once (i believe a positive can always come out of a negative) is that you know what your dealing with, and you know that it DOES go if you stop WORRYING about what it is/ what it means!!!

all the best to you , keep up the positive thinking and youll be back to normal in no time at all.:yesyes:

beauty
13-08-07, 15:40
Yes thats so true! This may not be the same for everyone but i have come to realise that the panic phases tend to come AFTER a large ammount of stress/trauma (rather than during). The last time i got them i had recently started uni (which is scary), fallen out with my dad, and mty long-term boyfriend was considering moving to america, and the panic came after all of this, like after I'd calmed down from it all. And it just so happens that in the last 6 months this year my step-mum has died, ive stopped talking to my dad, ive graduated from uni and started a new job...and again the panic seems to have come after all of these things. Its like an after-effect of all the stress.
And its so reassuring this time to at least understand why it is happening.

It was the help with a counsellor which helped me to realise the patterns, so i would strongly advise talking to people cos other people can help so much!

SammiB
13-08-07, 15:51
I think thats why we're all here, we cant talk to people who aren't going to think we are nuts and who can give reassurance cause they've been there done that.

beauty
13-08-07, 16:19
Yep thats completley true, i wish i had known about the site back then, I'm so glad I've discovered it now, it saves me telling all my friends etc who havent experienced it therefore cant really help x

SammiB
13-08-07, 16:30
i would really love to be able to tell my friends about all the things that i'm going through and that they could just understand that when i have to go, i have to go, they don't understand some of the scary symptoms that we go through. so i've lost the few friends i have due to not going out much but i'm glad to have this site and people to talk to who don't think i'm crazy.

beauty
13-08-07, 16:43
yeah thats the hardest part that no matter how much you want people to understand, if they havent been through it they simply cant! Its horrible to lose people through it, i dread losing my friends and boyfriend but it often drags you apart as it makes a distance between u, it worries me.. but yeah youre right about the site, it brings you new friends who understand your fears and can help :)

SammiB
13-08-07, 16:52
i have the same feelings about my boyf, i always am worried that he might be ok with it now as we have been together a long time before my anxiety starts but now it has i worry that he gets frustrated that we can't go out anywhere when i'm at my worst, oh well just got to think positve and think i should get better to keep him

beauty
13-08-07, 17:03
Yeah i feel exactly the same, ive been with him a year and this is the first time it has started happening while he has known me, i have kind of told him but not in too much detail as i know he hasnt been through anything similar so he probably wont understand. Im scared of coming across like a weirdo and holding him back etc. Youre right tho i guess its just another thing to drive us to recover and get back on track!

SammiB
13-08-07, 17:06
omg scary, been with my guy one year too, i hope everything goes well between you too. and i hope that you feel better soon

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hoppipolla
15-04-09, 15:38
It's always nice to hear success stories, well done Beauty for sticking in there and keeping hope and getting better! :)

I hope I never feel like giving up completely, I always hang in there! ^_^

Good luck everyone! :)

Southern_Belle
15-04-09, 18:52
Hi Beauty,

We all have blips but with your positive thinking I know you will get through this and come out of it a stronger person. Best wishes!

Love,

Laura