PDA

View Full Version : Scared I might have melanoma.

cartoonluver
04-08-18, 11:54
Hello everyone I am new here, but a long time sufferer of health anxiety. If anyone could help me here I would so greatly appreciate it.

I have had a mole on the bottom of my right breast since I was born. When I was around 12/13 years old I noticed the border of it went from normal to extremely blurred. It also had gotten quite a bit larger. I thought nothing of it because I didn't really know what skin cancer was at the time. When I was 15 I seen a TV commercial about melanoma and remembered my changed mole. I went to a doctor (not a dermatologist because I was stupid) and she told me not to worry because she had never seen a girl my age get skin cancer and to have it removed by the time i'm 30. I remember her saying because it was "soft" there's nothing behind it. I'm 20 now and now know young girls DO get melanoma. This particular mole is by far the largest on my body and a much redder color than the rest. The elevation of it is uneven and it may have gotten a bit bigger since 5 years ago. I'm so scared that it's melanoma. It bothers me so much that I should have gotten it removed 5 years ago. I've made a dermatologist appointment but I don't get to go until next month.

ALSO a few months ago because of the flu I had some blood work and some chest x-rays done (because of chest pain). If I had melanoma would it have possibly shown up on these two tests? I'm trying to find some peace of mind while I wait for my appointment.

nomorepanic
04-08-18, 12:50
Hi

Blood tests would not necessarily show melanoma.

You are best waiting for the appointment but I am sure it won't be anything serious.

Masqued
05-08-18, 09:13
If it has changed, even if over years, I'd honestly get a biopsy or punch biopsy done. My chest melanoma changed over 10 years.

Andrash
05-08-18, 10:15
Hello everyone I am new here, but a long time sufferer of health anxiety. If anyone could help me here I would so greatly appreciate it.

I have had a mole on the bottom of my right breast since I was born. When I was around 12/13 years old I noticed the border of it went from normal to extremely blurred. It also had gotten quite a bit larger. I thought nothing of it because I didn't really know what skin cancer was at the time. When I was 15 I seen a TV commercial about melanoma and remembered my changed mole. I went to a doctor (not a dermatologist because I was stupid) and she told me not to worry because she had never seen a girl my age get skin cancer and to have it removed by the time i'm 30. I remember her saying because it was "soft" there's nothing behind it. I'm 20 now and now know young girls DO get melanoma. This particular mole is by far the largest on my body and a much redder color than the rest. The elevation of it is uneven and it may have gotten a bit bigger since 5 years ago. I'm so scared that it's melanoma. It bothers me so much that I should have gotten it removed 5 years ago. I've made a dermatologist appointment but I don't get to go until next month.

ALSO a few months ago because of the flu I had some blood work and some chest x-rays done (because of chest pain). If I had melanoma would it have possibly shown up on these two tests? I'm trying to find some peace of mind while I wait for my appointment.

If you had untreated melanoma for eight years, you would have been long gone by now. Therefore, you do not have it. I know that change scares you, but it is normal for moles to change (and for new ones to grow) during puberty.

However, scheduling the appointment with the dermatologist was a smart move - (s)he can check your mole and decide if it needs to be removed (for reasons other than melanoma such as it looking ugly or changing or whatever). (S)he will also check your other moles. Still, rest easy - whatever the mole is, the fact that it has been there for 20 years and started changing 8 years ago proves without the shadow of a doubt it is benign.

Meows
05-08-18, 12:48
It sounds like a birth mark but you are right to get it checked out just in case.

lucymarie
05-08-18, 14:52
I agree with Andrash. The fact you’ve had it so long makes it extremely unlikely to be anything serious. It’s always good to get things checked if you are concerned but it’s most likely nothing.

Captain irrational
05-08-18, 19:36

Moles you have had since childhood, will inevitably change in shape as your body grows. Draw a spot on an uninflated balloon with a Sharpie, then blow it up, and viola, the dot gets bigger. The same principle applies to moles on skin.

I have numerous moles I have had since I was a small child, and all of them are larger and blurrier now that I am a fully grown adult.

Masqued
06-08-18, 11:31
My Melanoma mole grew over an 8 year time period and was a childhood mole that grew a border from the original mole. The bigger the mole the more surface area for things to go wrong. You're obviously concerned about it so get it checked. If you saw my Melanoma vs my benigns you would not pick it.
Please ignore the "it's probably ok and melanoma is rare" but a year visiting a Melanoma clinic has proven it's far more common than you think.
Get it checked.

lucymarie
06-08-18, 14:03
My Melanoma mole grew over an 8 year time period and was a childhood mole that grew a border from the original mole. The bigger the mole the more surface area for things to go wrong. You're obviously concerned about it so get it checked. If you saw my Melanoma vs my benigns you would not pick it.
Please ignore the "it's probably ok and melanoma is rare" but a year visiting a Melanoma clinic has proven it's far more common than you think.
Get it checked.

Are you intent in scaring her? She said she has made an appointment, there is no value scaremongering in the mean time. :lac:

Shadowhawk
06-08-18, 14:13
Are you intent in scaring her? She said she has made an appointment, there is no value scaremongering in the mean time. :lac:
I am inclined to agree. While cautionary tales can be good (lets face, life will never be all roses) phrases like this:

"Please ignore the "it's probably ok and melanoma is rare" but a year visiting a Melanoma clinic has proven it's far more common than you think."

Do literally nothing to help. Even i am still dealing with my melanoma worry (and i now have three holes in me to prove it), but i know it is not "far more common than you think". Stats for US and UK prove that. A melanoma clinic is specialized, and thus fewer of them... so of course you will see more people there, as there are only so many places to GET treatment.

Spots should be taken seriously, but don't panic either (hell, I am still telling myself that.. sigh..).

Andrash
08-08-18, 21:33
Get it checked.

She said she had made an appointment with her dermatologist.

Masqued
09-08-18, 11:07
She said she had made an appointment with her dermatologist.

Yeah and....?
Are you also going to quote the other person who told her to get it checked?

Andrash
09-08-18, 11:36
Yeah and....?
Are you also going to quote the other person who told her to get it checked?

Everyone acknowledged the fact she IS GETTING IT CHECKED, except you. That is why I quoted your post.