PDA

View Full Version : Pain when swallowing

TRJJP1
04-08-18, 18:01
Been a lurker on this site for a while before even signing up. I suffer from health anxiety and have since my mother passed away since I was around 19. I keep it semi under control by keeping busy. But sometimes it's hard.

Anyways, I've been having this issue for the past 2 and 1/2 months.

Whenever I eat and swallow food I get a pain in my chest on the left side. It's almost like if the food hits a sore spot in my esophagus. It's not a debilitating pain but it's there and I can definitely feel it.

I went to a gastro and he put me on PPIs for 2 months now and although the pain is not as bad as originally it's still there. Definitely not anywhere near gone. The doc feels it's esophagitis from acid reflux.

I am scheduled for an endoscopy.

My main question is, shouldn't the pain be gone completely by now from taking the PPIs for two months?

Also, can esophagitis cause pain just on one side of your chest when swallowing?

Of course like anyone I'm worried about the worse especially since the pain isn't gone after this long on PPIs...

I also want to add. I don't have any difficulty swallowing. It's strictly a pain I get in my chest towards the left side near the center.

I have also been to the ER and all heart related issues have been ruled out.

Hospital was the one that referred me to the gastro.

Thank you in advance for your time and help

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
04-08-18, 19:14
My main question is, shouldn't the pain be gone completely by now from taking the PPIs for two months?...

Also, can esophagitis cause pain just on one side of your chest when swallowing?

To answer your questions...

#1 - Depends. Relief of reflux, besides the PPIs is also dependent on diet. The best PPI can't counteract a poor diet. Keep a food diary and also follow the FODMAP (https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) diet.

My wife and I have reflux and take a PPI but we also found many foods that just don't agree with us. We kept a strict food diary for a month and eliminated the foods that aggravated it. I can tell you from experience that when we stray from the safe list, we typically pay for it :blush:

The 2nd question? It would make sense if that area of your esophagus is irritated by the acids.

Positive thoughts

TRJJP1
04-08-18, 22:59
Thank you. Yea a bit nervous about my upcoming endoscopy. Hoping it's nothing serious

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk