PDA

View Full Version : Can HA really cause symptoms?

Unknown414
04-08-18, 18:30
If you think and worry about certain symptoms, is it possible that anxiety can really make these symptoms a reality or feel real even after you stop thinking about it for a little while?

jray23
04-08-18, 19:06
Absolutely. I've had it happen first-hand. The mind is very powerful. If we think something is wrong we will feel that way!

I've even read a story in medical journals about a construction worker who had a large nail go all the way through his boot, he was in agony and went to the hospital, had to be sedated because he was in so much pain, and when the staff cut his boot away they found that the nail had gone in between his toes and hadn't even touched his foot!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
04-08-18, 19:17
Can HA really cause symptoms?

Read this... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms)

Positive thoughts

lucymarie
04-08-18, 19:24
It can cause pretty much every symptom going. The mind is a powerful thing if it wasn’t likely none of us would be on this forum :D A few years ago I had convinced myself I had oesophageal cancer because I had a lump in my throat, felt like there was a band being squeezed around my throat and I was having tightness in my upper chest and appetite loss. Went to the nurse who checked everything, said there was no lump and my chest was fine. As soon as I got home the symptoms were gone. Turns out it was because I was unfit and had pulled some chest muscles when I tried to go for a run a few weeks ago and had likely become so worried about the feeling that I imagined the lump and then stopped eating from worry. You can imagine my red face when my imagined cancer was actually lazybutt-itis :blush:

Shadowhawk
04-08-18, 19:34
Absolutely can. I know my anxiety has wracked me two ways from Sunday, with gastro, muscle, and head related problems, all which diminished when I was more calm. I have given myself shakes and twitches, and even screwed up my vision. The mind is a crazy thing, and excessive worry WILL change your body..

textsfromthemoon
06-08-18, 07:44
100% definitely, when I was in high school and my emetophobia was really bad I think I convinced myself I had a "stomach virus" like every other day and would get symptoms like cold sweats, nausea, diarrhea and sometimes even gagging. Our minds are incredibly powerful especially when we're in a heightened state like anxiety.

Crevan
08-08-18, 00:00
Oh yes, for sure! I found scratch marks on my side yesterday, just happened to notice them in the mirror... and guess what? Suddenly I felt pain in my side when, had I not changed clothes, I would have never known those marks existed, just as an example.

LunarCoffee
08-08-18, 03:34
Definitely. I'm current fearing colorectal cancer even though I'm 13 (haha, yes. really.), and I've felt like my left lower abdomen is harder than the right. When I actually look at how deep my fingers go when I apply the same amount of pressure... it's the same. The doctor even said that my left side was slightly more squishy than my right. Your mind can really trick you.

Scottyboy
29-09-18, 03:28
Older thread but I’m glad I found it. I’m having some imagined pain and irritation in my ankle and it’s been driving me crazy. I swear I’ve
Manufactured it in my head.

paranoid-viking
29-09-18, 05:31
Yes it can, especially bowel symptoms

Blue23Blent
29-09-18, 06:17
That’s what I’m told.

cattia
29-09-18, 08:32
Absolutely. There have been many times over the years when I have stupidly googled stuff and been relieved to find that I didn't have a particular symptom associated with whatever I'm worried about, only to have to crop up the very next day.