PDA

View Full Version : Hypnic jerk??

Mav
05-08-18, 01:56
For about a week now, every time I doze off, I wake up 10 or 20 mins later and my heart seems to be beating faster. Its only when I am just dozing off. Ive read about hypnic jerks and apparently fast heartbeat accompanies them but this has started happening out of nowhere and iits really starting to scare me :( why can I sleeplike a normal person?

AntsyVee
05-08-18, 08:54
It sounds like normal sleep issues. This happens to a lot of people. The pounding heart is usually accompanied by a shaking feeling too. It happens as your body is interrupted in the sleep phases. Very normal.

Mav
05-08-18, 09:46
It sounds like normal sleep issues. This happens to a lot of people. The pounding heart is usually accompanied by a shaking feeling too. It happens as your body is interrupted in the sleep phases. Very normal.

Is it really? Last night was another night of waking up like this. I must have woken up 2 times as I was dosing off, and then later got woken up by a nightmare. Other than that I slept through the night. I am usually the type of persom to throughly enjoy sleep and close my eyes and be in the deepest sleep so this is truly weird for me

---------- Post added at 09:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

Yes i so have a shaking feeling!!!

MRS STRESS ED
05-08-18, 10:22
Is it really? Last night was another night of waking up like this. I must have woken up 2 times as I was dosing off, and then later got woken up by a nightmare. Other than that I slept through the night. I am usually the type of persom to throughly enjoy sleep and close my eyes and be in the deepest sleep so this is truly weird for me

its called anxiety :winks::hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
05-08-18, 10:48
I'll paste over what I said on your meditation thread:

The brain sleep stages Hypnagogia (falling asleep and within the first 2 hours of sleep) and Hypnopompia (waking) are known to experience many sleep phenomena. These jerks are one such recorded phenomena.

Meditation is naturally relaxing. Therefore you might have slipped into a Hypnagogic sleep stage where this phenomena can occur. Like you said, you feel almost into a sleep state.

But these jerks can occur anytime too. There's been many a time I've had a leg jerks enough for it to move quite a bit.

What I've found, and I known others on here who say the same, is that these jerks are at their worst when your anxiety is worse. When anxiety reduces so does do the frequency & intensity of these jerks.

At my worst I felt like I was jumping up off the bed.

As disturbing as they can feel try to remember they are just part of how the body responds and they are just pronounced right now and your reactions are sensitised to such things. Don't let them stop you doing healthy things like meditation. If you are too tired to meditate perhaps choose a time you are less likely to fall asleep.

I've watched my dog sleeping and he does it too. When he's dreaming he will sometimes start running in his sleep :woof :biggrin:

They can be distressing when you are going through a bad stage with your anxiety but they will go and then occasional ones won't be as bad or affect you as much.

Try to accept it's a symptom of anxiety and try not to build it up into another issue to fear around your sleep. You've always been a good sleeper as you say and this could just be a temporary stage you will come out of very soon.

AntsyVee
05-08-18, 19:36

You just confirmed exactly what I told you in my first post. The pounding heart/shaking feeling happens to you when your body is awoken abruptly during your sleep cycling. You were woken up when falling asleep and then woken up because of a nightmare. Normal.

And now, like others have said, you have started fixating on this and becoming anxious about it.

jray23
05-08-18, 20:54
Yes, I've had this happen to me too. I was also at a high level of anxiety at the time!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk