PDA

View Full Version : Sensorimotor OCD feels like a life sentence.

LiveAboveIt
05-08-18, 07:26
I've had breathing based sensorimotor OCD for around 11 months now and as the title says, it feels like a life sentence. I'm tired of feeling like I have to control or be aware of my breathing and then it gets all messed up. What infuriates me is that when I am at work, it almost completely goes away. I can even think about it and it will come around for a little bit, but it just doesn't usually stick around. I can also go from having it really severely, to walking into a store and becoming distracted and it's gone again. But I can't control this and I can't force it gone and I can't forcefully distract away from it.

Whenever I am at home, I am constantly having this issue. It's almost like I can't think about anything else, because I inadvertently get so hyper-focused on it. I don't want to be. I don't WANT to control my breathing or be aware of it all the time. I've pretty much worked out any anxiety that I had about there being anything wrong with my breathing. But it seems like even though I have come to terms with what it is, it's still with me every single day.

Whenever you read about it online, it's always TONS of posts with people talking about how it doesn't ever go away and they have had it for years and just learn to live with it. What kind of life is that? Is that really the end, we're just screwed up and supposed to learn to live with excruciating anxiety and be unable to control our brains?

It's clearly anxiety driven, but I just can't seem to come to terms with having this, not really.. And because of this, I feel like I'm going to be forever stuck with this issue.

Is this really a life sentence, or has anyone actually gotten over this? And I mean REALLY gotten over, not just learned to cope with it. I can't live like this anymore.