PDA

View Full Version : Afraid I experienced symptoms of a pulmonary embolism.

Haruka
05-08-18, 08:33
Hey all, so I am kind of freaked out. The past week or two I've been really fatigued, but I chocked it up to starting to diet (I have been trying to eat healthier options for snacks and meals, and I've thus lowered my calorie intake, but it's not to an unhealthy level) and I had started jogging in an attempt to increase my stamina before going on a hiking vacation trip. I am pretty out of shape, I've gained 20 pounds since the beginning of the year so I wasn't surprised that I wasn't making it very far.

Then, on monday night I was laying in bed reading and I had this odd pressure in my head, so I stopped for a short while, then it went away so I went back to reading. And I was kinda stressed out with what was happening in the book but it was very mild stress, like not big deal stress if that makes any sense lol. Then suddenly I breathed in and had these sharp pains in random spots in my chest so I sat up, since sometimes I get that if I sit in a weird position. But it only got worse, and the weird throbbing pain was in the back of my throat, filled my chest and I could feel it all the way through my lungs every single time I took a breath.

I took my blood pressure and it was 120/83, and I sat there for a while trying to get myself to calm down. It persisted, but once I got myself to mentally calm down I remembered it sounded exactly like how my friend described her panic attacks, so I thought maybe I was just having a panic attack and I took some of my anxiety medication (Hydroxyzine HCL 25mg) and laid down, which helped a bit, and it calmed me enough to get me to fall asleep.

When I woke up in the morning I felt fine, went about my day, went to work, had no problems. Then when I laid down to sleep that night I had some breathing problems that almost felt more like asthma than they did what I had the night before, and I took my anxiety med again and went to sleep. The next day at work, midday, I had that asthma feeling again, but not quite so bad and it went away on its own once I forgot about it.

I am going to call my doctors office on Monday when they open and talk to someone, but I am so worried right now and I just want to try to find some peace of mind. I am so busy next week as well that I have no clue if I'll be able to get into the office when I am free. I leave for Canada on Friday for a few days, and then all the days leading up to that I have so much I have to do between work and school :(

I am 21 years old, and relatively healthy. Though I am overweight, I am not anywhere near the obese range and the current moment. The primary risk factor I have for getting a PE is that I have been taking the birth control pill for 2 years. Should I be as worried as I am, or could it very well have been just a panic attack?

mare serenitatis
10-08-18, 04:27
A pulmonary embolism would lower your oxygen. If this happened days ago, you would have already experienced death.