PDA

View Full Version : Holiday tomorrow and I don’t want to go 😢

Gemsi84
05-08-18, 08:52
Hi all,

I just wanted to post here as so thought it might help. I’ve suffered with anxiety and panic attacks on and off for the last 3 years. I improved and came off medication around a year ago. I’m fine whilst at work and in my routine- I work in a school so now it’s half term my anxiety has been slowly creeping up on me and I’ve got myself in a right state about going on holiday to Tenerife tomorrow. I visited the GP and they prescribed diazepam for the airport/aeroplane but I’m worried about when I get there. Leaving my house currently is hard enough and I feel like I’m leaving my comfort zone and going into the unknown which is really scaring me. I don’t want to let my partner and kids down by being anxious and a mess the whole time. I just wondered if anyone could offer any advice or support or even success stories of going on holiday with severe anxiety please?

Thanks in advance
G x

vicky23
05-08-18, 09:28
Hi,
I can relate; it is hard to leave our comfort zones. When I've been away I've tried to remind myself that in order to experience joy and fun we sometimes have to temporarily go through the discomfort of anxiety. If you feel anxious remind yourself that it will pass and try to enjoy the moments of joy making memories with your family.
Best wishes

MH19611
07-08-18, 13:34
Your mind is just trying to freak you out! You were worried about the plane - and now you have medicine - so your mind is switched to being worried about being on vacation itself. It is normal for your brain to do this to you during anxiety! One problem is solved and it attaches to another. Remind yourself to take it day by day, hour by hour. Vacation WILL be fun, even if it seems daunting right now. Do not let your anxiety steal the joy from your life. Use the medicine on the trip when you feel like you need it (not just the plane!). "Get out" into public when on vacation - it's amazing what being around others and in an active environment will do for you. Unclench your body. You are like a tightly wound up violin right now, one minor thing plucks you and BOOM (large sound). Unwind - let the lines of the violin go loose so that when something happens, your body isn't ready to snap back. Talk about it! It's good that you posted here. But tell your spouse and express yourself. Get a book on anxiety! Nothing is more comforting than reading something that rings completely true to yourself. Know that what you are afraid of is only the fear itself. You got this!!

ClaireB83
07-08-18, 16:26
I have been finding lately that guided meditation works well for me when dealing with anxiety. There are apps you can download where you listen to short voice recordings (2-7 minutes) that have really helped me to focus.

There was one exercise I listened to that really clicked with me. Its called having a Lion Mind.

https://www.melaniejsparks.com/blog/lion-mind-and-why-you-need-to-develop-it

I know it's hard but just try to focus on the moment. Think of the memories you are making with your family. Focus on the smiles of your children. Perhaps you and your family could create a list of things you would like to do while on holiday so you can feel more at ease and less like you're facing the unknown.

In the end, just try to remember that, even though it doesnt always seem like it, you are in charge of your mind. And talk to your partner, it's amazing how just speaking about these things out loud can help us!

YouRemindMeOfTheBabe
13-08-18, 18:50
Oh I know how you feel so much. I'm going away soon too and the anxiety I have about it is already creeping in badly. I just want it to be over with. I've prepped myself, I've got a few apps/games downloaded on my tablet, I've got this forum too, pillow from home, an itinerary and a packing list. I get really bad anxiety when I'm away from home.

Pupps
10-09-18, 12:43
Hi I have had the same experience.

My biggest fear is flying to a foreign country and losing it and being stuck in a hospital to afraid to get home.

I had my best friends wedding in Thailand and I am the best man. It is a 7 hour flight with a stop over in Singapore to transfer to Koh Samui which is another 2 hrs.

I have been petrified for months about it and had been doing lots of work on changing my views on panic and anxiety.

I have 2 kids and they were coming also but the night I was suppose to leave I froze and had a massive melt down and couldn't go. The face on my little boy broke my heart as I felt like such a weak person. My wife ended up taking the kids as we had lots of friends going that could help.

Now I am left at home with a terrible feeling of defeat and anxiety about being apart from my family.

This is the most horrible experience I have ever had.

I was so terrified of leaving home but when I saw photos of my family so far away I became more anxious. I had a close friend and his partner leaving to go to the same wedding a few days after my family left and I thought stuff it I will at least have another go. I bought a ticket the night before and I packed my bag with no pressure on my self if I felt it was still to much at least I was making some progress.

I drove to the airport extremely panicky and met my friends. I also had a few Valium (2mg) just to help. I only took a carry on bag in case I still couldn't go through as I didn't want to burden my friends with another bag to lug around if I backed out. I got through the check in and felt the same then I got through customs and felt more anxious. I had another Valium and before I knew it I was boarding the plane. I sat there looking at the exit but tried to keep myself occupied. The door shut and I was like well I'm on my way and I sort of felt calmer than I had built it up to be.

The flight was 7 hrs then a transfer for another flight of 2 hrs. I had moments of panic and just reminded myself that it was only adrenaline and it will pass. I wont lie it was difficult but I kept myself occupied and let the silly thoughts come and go.

I never told my wife or friends I was coming and when I knocked on my wives room door and saw her she burst out in tears and my children were in shock. I then went to my best friends room who was getting married and surprised him also. He broke down and so did most people who knew the difficulty I had gone through. I was overwhelmed with the support from everyone.

I had a few tough days while I was there but the feeling of accomplishment still hasn't worn off days after returning home.

Anyway sorry for the long post but I hope this helps someone else going through this horrible stage of your journey.

vicky23
12-09-18, 17:43
Pupps thats an amazing story massive well done