PDA

View Full Version : New job anxiety

lolap
05-08-18, 20:02
Starting a new job next month and can't stop freaking out about it.

I've spent the six months looking for a job - whilst still working in a dead-end one - and got pretty miserable and despondent about it, then finally got there and typically got two offers at the same time. It's probably the first big career decision I've had to make so deciding which one was quite stressful but I feel like I've picked the best role which is going to be ideal for me in that I'll enjoy it and it's career progression....

Yet I can't stop freaking out about how it's going to go wrong!

I know it's normal to be nervous when you first start somewhere new, but usually it's the night before and your first week - and I can still function with it. But this year, I've been finding everything makes me anxious and it's no longer that background ache, but full blown anxiety where I can't concentrate and feel I might have a panic attack at any moment.

I know it'll subside when I'm in there but I really don't want this for the next three weeks... any suggestions on how to fend it off?

worriedsoul
05-08-18, 20:39
I would seriously see a private counselling on an emergency basis to try and work through things before the job. It will be money well spent and will probably do wonders.

jray23
05-08-18, 20:51
Congratulations on the new job opportunity! This is a rather normal reaction although not to that level. It sounds like you are magnifying the negatives and ignoring or downplaying the potential positives!

One tool that might help is to analyze your thoughts. There's a free (I think) app I've used for my own anxiety (health) that takes you through the thought process from "anxious thought" to reframing it and moving on by making you conscious of your thought pattern and the resulting emotions. It's called "Thought Diary". Give it a whirl!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk