PDA

View Full Version : Scared I’m Developing ALS

Edaily98
06-08-18, 16:46
Hello, I’m 20 years old and seriously afraid I could be developing als. It all started about a year and a half ago when I noticed my thumb had a tremor, at the time I thought nothing of it but then it started on my right hand, so I went to my gp and he sent me to see a neurologist.

By the time I seen I neurologist I was having very subtle tremors when using specific muscles, When I bent down to pick something up my back would shake or when I tilt my head up and down it would move in a unsmooth jerky motion. He did tests on my reflexes and strength test and found nothing was wrong with me. After all of the testing he believed that it was because of my posture when playing video games and the tremor was from constant use of my thumbs. I accept his feedback and tried not to worry. Since then my symptoms have got worse.

Fast forward to 3weeks ago, I started getting twitches in my legs, specifically my calves, This got me extremely anxious I started look for muscle atrophy every 10minutes thinking I was losing muscle in my legs. Then I moved onto my arms, my left arm had less muscle than my right(I’m right handed), I started feeling week in my arms and legs. I was constantly looking on google searching up my symptoms and everything was ‘pointing’ to ALS/MND. These symptoms have basically went away. I still get muscle twitches in my legs but definitely no where near as much as I was.

I seen my gp again and he said he doesn’t think it’s anything serious but I just can’t get it out of my mind.

I was starting to feel better until a couple days ago when I started thinking I was slurring my words a bit, this nearly gave me a full on panic attack. Again I’ve been none stop googling my symptoms. When I stick my tongue out even slightly it’s starts to shake and twitch. It feels like I need to constantly swallow my saliva and the underneath of my tongue has started to ache and feels like it producing too much saliva . Could this be bulbar onset? I feel like my tongue is constantly tense. I also tend to mix up my words a lot and mispronounce them especially when anxious.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

I know this is probably just my anxiety flaring up because I have been a hypochondriac my whole life.

Other illnesses I’ve 100% believed I’ve had; Brain tumor, MS, Heart Failure, Pancreatic cancer, stomach cancer and Schizophrenia to name a few.

Fishmanpa
06-08-18, 16:52
READ THIS (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071) as many times as you need to.

Positive thoughts

KK77
06-08-18, 17:12
I know this is probably just my anxiety flaring up because I have been a hypochondriac my whole life.

Other illnesses I’ve 100% believed I’ve had; Brain tumor, MS, Heart Failure, Pancreatic cancer, stomach cancer and Schizophrenia to name a few.

You acknowledge your "hypochondria" so what treatment have you received for it? If answer is "none" then this will continue and probably get worse. Don't allow that to happen, and seek advice/help from your GP. Explain that you suffer with HA and how it is impacting your life.

Welcome to NMP.

jray23
06-08-18, 23:50
Obsessive symptom checking, Googling, and a history of imagined illnesses (of which your survival rate is 100%!).

This is textbook health anxiety. I've been there myself. Treat the anxiety, not the "disease du jour".

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pablo0977
09-08-18, 05:32
Like reading my own story. 18 months later and I am still twitching, still half different size calf muscles, still have a dent in my left forearm, still have BFS. ALS is a 1 in 200,000 condition for someone over 40. For a 20 year old? 5% of ALS cases happen before 40. Do the math. You are more likely to impale yourself with a spoon while eating your Cheerios.

But since you and I have HA, no amount of reassurance will convince us. That’s why we need to treat the anxiety. For me that meant CBT and staying busy. You have to find what works for you.

tryingtosurvive1
15-08-18, 05:45
You are way too young to have ALS. I believe that you have benign twitching.

TylerB
31-08-18, 20:00
The thumb tremor is something I’ve struggled with too. And twitching. All over. For over a year. Don’t worry about it. It really truly is just anxiety (and probably just thumb overuse or it’s just normal for some people).