PDA

View Full Version : Becoming obsessed with anaphylactic reaction

Worrygirl32
08-08-18, 02:35
I know this is long, but please please read it. Thank you.

I had conquered this fear once before years ago, but I feel like recently it has spiraled out of control beyond all reasoning. So it started about 2 months ago, I casually would start thinking I was allergic to stuff. For example, my daughter has those red hi-c juice boxes. I had one and I immediately started to cough.. So I assumed I was allergic to the red food coloring. Another example, the frozen pops I have eaten them my entire life, but recently I noticed that when I eat one I start to cough randomly throughout.. now before anyone says I am making it up.. I have always coughed when I ate those but I just now tied it with allergic reaction. I asked my husband and my daughter those don't make them cough. Again these are all at different times.. I have been extremely passive with this anxiety fear, so I am sure over time my fear has increased.

More recently I started eating quinoa. Last year I would randomly start getting the feeling of a lump in my throat. I attributed it to the stress of college. The lump in my throat would happen totally random.. Sometimes during the day, sometimes at night, sometimes after eating. I couldn't pinpoint a cause because the episodes were sporadic. So I made an intelligent guess and chucked it up to anxiety and or heartburn.. Well about 3 months ago I made a dish with quinoa.. and after I ate I had that feeling in my throat.. the lump.. and I didn't think twice about it.. I figured somehow someway it might have caused some acid reflux.. I made some meal prep recently and I made quinoa.. after eating quinoa the throat thing happened.. I attributed it to anxiety and didn't think anything of it. The next day for lunch I had quinoa again (obivously) since I meal prepped it and my throat started to feel tight AGAIN. At this point I thought maybe I am slightly allergic to quinoa.. and from there the snowball affect took place

I have really bad hay fever and because of that when I eat certain raw fruits and vegetables my throat itches. I have had this my entire life. I have never seen an allergist I just figured it was apart of life. However, if you cook the vegetables its fine and doesnt bother me. I know this is weird but thats just how it is. Well after googling I found out that quinoa is a seed that belongs in some pollen family. At this point anxiety completed sky rocketed... and for the past few days I have had this overwhelming fear of going into anaphylaxis. Because I exposed myself numerous times to the quinoa like an idiot. I am scared that I will have a cross-reaction with something else and go into anaphylaxis. I know this sounds crazy but its driving me insane. Now when I eat something I get that globus sensation... and I get paranoid all over again.

It is a really struggle for me and makes me slightly depressed I am a nursing student so I know how important it is to be healthy and I genuinely want to be but I have been avoiding all healthy foods just in case I go into anaphylaxis.
For example, growing up I used to eat strawberries, bananas, and now I am terrified to eat it. Part of this has been made worse by the internet. I read that sometimes people who have oral allergy syndrome can progress to anaphylaxis.. I just need someone to try to reason with me and put things in a different perspective. This is not a healthy way to live.

mare serenitatis
08-08-18, 16:33
I don’t know how much comfort I can be, because I’m actually struggling with the same fear. I have no idea why, I’m not allergic to ANY foods, just medicines.

When I was a kid, my tongue would get really tingly and my mouth would go numb when I ate pineapple. So, my mother told me to stop eating it. But, pineapple is my FAVORITE fruit, and I didn’t want to listen, so I continued. Lol.

I ate pineapple to the point where that reaction actually stopped, and as an adult I don’t have that as a response anymore. Yes, it is possible to have a reaction to something that we’ve eaten before. Is it likely? No.

I’m telling myself that, as my tongue is quite tingly, although I haven’t eaten a bite yet. I’m also afraid of bananas and strawberries, and nuts! I’ve never had an issue with any of these things!

utrocket09
08-08-18, 17:39
I know this is long, but please please read it. Thank you.

I had conquered this fear once before years ago, but I feel like recently it has spiraled out of control beyond all reasoning. So it started about 2 months ago, I casually would start thinking I was allergic to stuff. For example, my daughter has those red hi-c juice boxes. I had one and I immediately started to cough.. So I assumed I was allergic to the red food coloring. Another example, the frozen pops I have eaten them my entire life, but recently I noticed that when I eat one I start to cough randomly throughout.. now before anyone says I am making it up.. I have always coughed when I ate those but I just now tied it with allergic reaction. I asked my husband and my daughter those don't make them cough. Again these are all at different times.. I have been extremely passive with this anxiety fear, so I am sure over time my fear has increased.

More recently I started eating quinoa. Last year I would randomly start getting the feeling of a lump in my throat. I attributed it to the stress of college. The lump in my throat would happen totally random.. Sometimes during the day, sometimes at night, sometimes after eating. I couldn't pinpoint a cause because the episodes were sporadic. So I made an intelligent guess and chucked it up to anxiety and or heartburn.. Well about 3 months ago I made a dish with quinoa.. and after I ate I had that feeling in my throat.. the lump.. and I didn't think twice about it.. I figured somehow someway it might have caused some acid reflux.. I made some meal prep recently and I made quinoa.. after eating quinoa the throat thing happened.. I attributed it to anxiety and didn't think anything of it. The next day for lunch I had quinoa again (obivously) since I meal prepped it and my throat started to feel tight AGAIN. At this point I thought maybe I am slightly allergic to quinoa.. and from there the snowball affect took place

I have really bad hay fever and because of that when I eat certain raw fruits and vegetables my throat itches. I have had this my entire life. I have never seen an allergist I just figured it was apart of life. However, if you cook the vegetables its fine and doesnt bother me. I know this is weird but thats just how it is. Well after googling I found out that quinoa is a seed that belongs in some pollen family. At this point anxiety completed sky rocketed... and for the past few days I have had this overwhelming fear of going into anaphylaxis. Because I exposed myself numerous times to the quinoa like an idiot. I am scared that I will have a cross-reaction with something else and go into anaphylaxis. I know this sounds crazy but its driving me insane. Now when I eat something I get that globus sensation... and I get paranoid all over again.

It is a really struggle for me and makes me slightly depressed I am a nursing student so I know how important it is to be healthy and I genuinely want to be but I have been avoiding all healthy foods just in case I go into anaphylaxis.
For example, growing up I used to eat strawberries, bananas, and now I am terrified to eat it. Part of this has been made worse by the internet. I read that sometimes people who have oral allergy syndrome can progress to anaphylaxis.. I just need someone to try to reason with me and put things in a different perspective. This is not a healthy way to live.

If you had a food allergy, you would not have just a lump in throat feeling. Lumps in throat feeljngs are often caused by anxiety or post nasal drip. As someone who carries an Epipen due to anaphaxis, anaphalxis causes wheezing coughing being unable to speak. In my case it causes my airway to be cut off. If you are that worried see an allergist.

87sal87
08-08-18, 19:46
This is a huge fear of mine too, particulary with hair dyes....or nuts, even though I've had no past history. What does it feel like?

utrocket09
08-08-18, 20:06
This is a huge fear of mine too, particulary with hair dyes....or nuts, even though I've had no past history. What does it feel like?

You cough, wheeze. May have lip or tounge swelling. For me, I get a feeing of doom and my legs and arms go numb. Once again, anaphalaxis is not a lump in throat feeling. The symptoms are not vague and happen in minutes.