PDA

View Full Version : Guys, invest in a geeeeeeetar!!!!

DM
14-08-07, 19:06
just a quickie...

I've suffered with panic attacks for about a year or so now.

I moved out from my rents about 6 months ago and bought myself a guitar.

best move i ever made.

i cannot convey how relaxing it is!!

whenever i feel bad, i play.

ive always written words, now i have music to go along with em..!!!

http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/23382/2006048154975710953_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2006048154975710953)

Trev
14-08-07, 22:34
.....already have!!
Yeah, I found it a great distraction/relaxation tool at the start of panic.

jill
14-08-07, 22:55
Hi there,

It is a well known fact, that when relaxed totely, it is hard to panic. It is great that you have found something that halps you, this advice may help other too, thank you for sharing.

Maybe you could let us here some of your music ?

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

honeybee3939
14-08-07, 23:14
Hi DM

Lovely to hear how much enjoyment/relaxation the guitar is giving you, i used to play the violin many years ago(or should i say tried, earplugs where always given out to nieghbours as a precaution)i do wish i would have kept it up i used to get enjoyment out of it too.

love the pic too, thankyou for sharing.

:hugs: :hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

groovygranny
15-08-07, 00:04
What a good idea!

You look very professional DM!

I'm afraid my musical prowess extends only to playing the recorder at school (not very well at that, although I played a mean We three Kings:whistles:!!) and singing in a choir a couple of years ago.

I love music but alas can't read it - all looks like hieroglyphics to me lol !!

Yes, be great to hear some!

Andrea: you is full of surprises you is!!:yesyes:

:hugs:

Greeneyed
15-08-07, 08:15
Hi DM - good advice!

Relaxing is not all about sitting quietly, it is about doing something you enjoy that you can fully emerse yourself in and will thus stop the anxious thoughts.

Singing is also supposed to be really good as as well as being enjoyable it forces you to breath properly.

For me I get the same enjoyment and relaxation from gardening, I can be out there for hours with the plants and not an anxious thought enters my head. I have only discovered this in the last year and it has been an amazing discovering. My other distraction methods always revolved around having a drink, smoking etc and I felt I needed these crutches in my life - I am now failrly clean living and do the garden instead!

My friends might think I am a bit sad (gone from crazy raver to Barbara Good in a few short years) but I don't care and the sense of acheivement when I look at what I have created is fantastic.

Even when you think you are too old to change your habits, it's amazing that you can suddenly find something you love so much - I wonder how I ever lived without my gardening - I am dreading winter :)

Insomniac
15-08-07, 12:00
Hi DM

Good to hear to you sounding so positive!

My daughter has started guitar lessons and I'm really jealous. She shares her guitar with me and my hubby says he'll buy me one for Christmas!! Its either that or a piano (and thats much harder to fit in our little house!!)

Greeneyed - I also find relaxation in the garden. Sometimes I don't really want to do anything, so I make myself go into the garden and within about 10 minutes I start to feel much better. Especially with the herbs, because the scents are fabulous!

Lindalou64
15-08-07, 13:37
thats great dm,im sure it does help anything we enjoy will help especailly music :) keep up the good work...........linda xx

giddy
16-08-07, 15:03
Does Guitar Hero on the xbox 360 count?!?
Me and my hubby have spent many a fun filled night jamming!!lol

DM
16-08-07, 15:05
hahah not played that in all fairness but i have been known to partake in a bit of Singstar!!!

CarpeDiem
16-08-07, 19:05
:) Hi DM :)

Glad you've found your musical soulmate! Prepare to have a guitar whelt across your chest as the two of you become inseperable! (My boyfriend has been playing for 9 years now & has the same "axe scar" on his!)
You're right about the relaxation benefits but its also great for belting out tunes to relieve agression, soothing away tears with melancholic melodies & celebrating a good mood with cheesey 60s pop (think Beach Boys). The list goes on, bloody marvelous. I play too but my skills are dwarfed by my partner's so I stick to piano, harmonica & singing, equally good for all of the above. The main advantage of the guitar is that it can go with you anywhere - Have waited anxiously by the luggage belt at many an airport for his beloved to appear! (Haven't tried to get my piano on there yet but harmonica & voice are frequent flyers!)
I hope you have a long happy relationship with your new best friend! :D

CarpeDiem
xxxxxx

DM
16-08-07, 19:33
:) Hi DM :)

Glad you've found your musical soulmate! Prepare to have a guitar whelt across your chest as the two of you become inseperable! (My boyfriend has been playing for 9 years now & has the same "axe scar" on his!)
You're right about the relaxation benefits but its also great for belting out tunes to relieve agression, soothing away tears with melancholic melodies & celebrating a good mood with cheesey 60s pop (think Beach Boys). The list goes on, bloody marvelous. I play too but my skills are dwarfed by my partner's so I stick to piano, harmonica & singing, equally good for all of the above. The main advantage of the guitar is that it can go with you anywhere - Have waited anxiously by the luggage belt at many an airport for his beloved to appear! (Haven't tried to get my piano on there yet but harmonica & voice are frequent flyers!)
I hope you have a long happy relationship with your new best friend! :D

CarpeDiem
xxxxxx

That was a really good post, Carp...

;)

Pink Princess
16-08-07, 19:43
hey i agree to this post - i dont have my own guitar yet but i do play my friends - we used to make up songs to the poems and lyrics we write.

thanks for posting this made me think about starting it again :yesyes:

take kare

minnie xxxxxxxxxxxxxx