PDA

View Full Version : Think I've had a hair dye reaction...

87sal87
08-08-18, 15:03
I had my hair done at a hairdressers I've never been to before yesterday. They did a patch test last week so way enough time, but didn't feel anything from it, perhaps a slight tingle when she first put it on but nothing afterwards, she said it was normal.

When she was applying the dye yesterday, it felt fine but a little bit itchy in the nape of my neck and my scalp felt a bit tight when it was drying...I thought all that was normal as it went away after a few minutes and the tightness went away when it was washed off.

I felt fine afterwards but last night as I was trying to go to sleep, there was an itchy spot near my ear, I put some cream on and it went away, I just thought it was a pimple, but it's not here this morning. I felt a lump in my throat last night also and it's prompted me to keep swallowing and swallowing as it feels uncomfortable and that's only made it worse, it's still there today, my tongue was yellow before I brushed my teeth and my throat and tonsils look red and inflammed. My face feels a bit hot and dry. Never normally have any kind of reaction but hair dye reaction is a HUGE fear of mine so it's took me months and months to pluck up the courage to go and get my hair done and now I finally have, I'm regretting it. My hair looked a mess and it was making me miserable, so I just bit the bullet and did it and this is the reward I get, looks like I have actually had a reaction. I have a med phobia so can't take antihistamines, as they make my heart rate higher....can't get in the doctors today as I rang too late on in the day and they were booked up, so hoping to get in tomorrow. I start a new job on friday and I'm terrified of getting worse and my throat closing up and it'll ruin everything.

What do you think? Have I had a reaction or could it be something else? Will it go away on it's own?

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Okay now, I've got myself into a bit of a mad state, I looked up anaphalactic shock and it mentioned the lump in the throat and difficulty swallowing... I don't know what to do :'(

Fishmanpa
08-08-18, 15:31
If anything, you had a very mild reaction as the itch was relieved by the cream and that may have been just an itch and not at all associated with the dye as you were fine until you went to bed. Your anxiety is the reason for the feeling in your throat as your post indicates you hyper-focused on the Globus sensation. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#Throat_tighteningChokingSwallowing_proble ms)

So... do you like the new hairdo? :D

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
08-08-18, 15:39
It's possible you did have a mild reaction to the dye as it's very common, although there's no way what you are experiencing is anaphylaxis. That happens almost immediately and with great severity. Within minutes.

Whatever you are experiencing has nothing to do with the hair dye, expect maybe a small bit of irritation around the skin.

87sal87
08-08-18, 15:47
Thanks so much for the replies, just gone into a full blown panic attack to my sister but she didn't take me seriously. She said a lump in the throat alone couldn't be anaphylactic shock, but what if it's the start of it due to the itchiness?

Will it go away?

My pulse has gone slow...around 59 beats and I'm getting palpitations. I'd go to A&E but can't face the hours long wait for them to just turn me away.

Fishmanpa
08-08-18, 15:52
I'd go to A&E but can't face the hours long wait for them to just turn me away.

You just admitted knowing you're Ok.

Positive thoughts

87sal87
08-08-18, 15:58
What I meant was, because of my history of anxiety, I'm never taken seriously, they just put everything down to that straight away.

nomorepanic
08-08-18, 16:05
You have just worked yourself up and nothing more.

87sal87
08-08-18, 16:38
I hope so, if my throat would ease off, I'd feel better. Wish I wasn't so paranoid all the time.

ankietyjoe
08-08-18, 18:06
Will it go away?

Will what go away?

utrocket09
08-08-18, 18:22
Thanks so much for the replies, just gone into a full blown panic attack to my sister but she didn't take me seriously. She said a lump in the throat alone couldn't be anaphylactic shock, but what if it's the start of it due to the itchiness?

Will it go away?

My pulse has gone slow...around 59 beats and I'm getting palpitations. I'd go to A&E but can't face the hours long wait for them to just turn me away.

If you had anaphalaxis you would know it. Lump in the throat is not a sign of it. I would know as I have had anaphalaxis before.

87sal87
08-08-18, 18:58
Will what go away?

The reaction to the hair dye (if that's what it is) will it go away on it's own, I mean.

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

If you had anaphalaxis you would know it. Lump in the throat is not a sign of it. I would know as I have had anaphalaxis before.

It said on google that a feeling of a lump in the throat and difficulty swallowing is a symptom of anaphalaxis.

Fishmanpa
08-08-18, 19:07
It said on google that a feeling of a lump in the throat and difficulty swallowing is a symptom of anaphalaxis.

It's also a common symptom of anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#Throat_tighteningChokingSwallowing_proble ms)! :doh:

Look, the reassurance isn't working. If you're that concerned, go to the doctor. The "Told Ya So Gang" will be on standby ;)

Positive thoughts

87sal87
08-08-18, 19:16
It's also a common symptom of anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#Throat_tighteningChokingSwallowing_proble ms)! :doh:

Look, the reassurance isn't working. If you're that concerned, go to the doctor. The "Told Ya So Gang" will be on standby ;)

Positive thoughts

I know this and I'm sorry it's frustrating, but I have NEVER experienced this symptom from anxiety before, my throat is genuinely swollen and sore now.

I'll go to the doctors tomorrow.

utrocket09
08-08-18, 19:48
The reaction to the hair dye (if that's what it is) will it go away on it's own, I mean.

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Anaphalaxis symptoms are not vague symptoms. They also happen within minutes not a day after.

87sal87
08-08-18, 20:22
Anaphalaxis symptoms are not vague symptoms. They also happen within minutes not a day after.

Okay, thank you. I wasn't really sure. I guess it's from reading these horror stories from women who have dyed their hair and only gone into anaphalaxis days later....

ankietyjoe
08-08-18, 20:47
Yes, IF you had a reaction to the hair dye it'll go away on it's own.

It is absolutely, 100% not anaphylaxsis. Your only job now is to keep telling yourself that, and that starts with not using Google.

utrocket09
08-08-18, 21:13
Okay, thank you. I wasn't really sure. I guess it's from reading these horror stories from women who have dyed their hair and only gone into anaphalaxis days later....

Then it wasn't from hair dye. Anaphalaxis happens within minutes not days. Quit googling stories of anaphalaxis. You don't have it.