PDA

View Full Version : Terrified about blood results due to symptoms

LuSmith
10-08-18, 16:09
Hi everyone...

Sorry if this is in the wrong section!! So I recently got a text saying I need to contact my GP due to my blood test results. They returned my results within 48 hours, which is very unusual, so it's set off alarm bells. Unfortunately it's now the weekend and I can't speak to anyone until Monday so I'm absolutely paranoid there's something really wrong with me.

As it is, I asked for the blood tests myself due to hair loss, weight loss and some pain. Even though I did have gastroenteritis a few weeks ago - the weight is refusing to go back on, which has left me worried.

Obviously it could be something simple like a Vit D deficiency or slight anemia but my mind is thinking the worst case scenario as usual. Would they have called me personally if it was something terrible that I needed to worry about?

Because of the drastic weight loss (3kg since the last time I had checked) and my ongoing hair loss I'm absolutely petrified :scared15:

Since I last checked my weight recently on the 2nd August and again today, it's stabilised and hasn't gone down anymore, is this a good sign???

Nicole0134
10-08-18, 16:17
I don't think the return of the test results within 48 hours is unusual or anything to read in to. Our results are available next day at my GPs. And hair loss is a symptom of anaemia. Try and distract yourself over the weekend as much as possible - but to be honest, I'd be surprised if they'd leave you hanging like that if it was anything to worry about!

lucymarie
10-08-18, 16:21
That isn't an unusual length of time for the results to come back, routine ones can be pretty quick. If it was anything major I don't think they would have text you to book an appointment at your leisure. Last time I had some bloods flag up an issue they called me and told me to book an appointment as soon as possible - even that wasn't urgent.

WhereIsMyMind
10-08-18, 17:06
I was called by my surgery 48 hours after my blood test and told to make an appointment because my Vit D levels are low, so it can definitely be something as simple as that. If they want you to book a routine appointment (which by sending you a text sounds like that's what they want) then it's nothing too bad. As far as I know they try to get you to go in the same day if something could be seriously wrong, and they wouldn't text you.

(I'm also suffering similar symptoms btw)

Capercrohnj
10-08-18, 18:32
Just fyi, most blood results take about an hour to come back.

Pamplemousse
10-08-18, 23:38
Hi everyone...

Sorry if this is in the wrong section!! So I recently got a text saying I need to contact my GP due to my blood test results. They returned my results within 48 hours, which is very unusual, so it's set off alarm bells.
I had some comprehensive blood tests done Thursday lunchtime; I rang up and got my results Friday afternoon. The days of waiting two weeks seem to be long gone now.

ErinKC
11-08-18, 00:06
I echo the others. The time wouldn't be weird. I get blood results same day from my doctor. And, I got blood work done at urgent care last week and the results were back in 10 minutes for a CBC.

WiseMonkey
11-08-18, 00:25
Just fyi, most blood results take about an hour to come back.

Yes, if there's anything serious going on the laboratory contacts your Dr immediately within a few hours of testing.