PDA

View Full Version : Sinus Infection - Freaking Out About Sepsis

anxiouskitten
10-08-18, 17:29
:weep:Ugh....started an antibiotic two days ago for a bacterial sinus infection...made the mistake of reading an article about sepsis and now I am FREAKING OUT. Of course, I didn’t stop at reading one article, I spent an embarrassing amount of time Googling it....pretty typical for me. I am now convinced that I have sepsis (or, if I don’t already, that I will in the next few hours). My heart is, of course, racing now and my legs feel weak. I have a history of health anxiety, so this isn’t a new phenomenon for me, but my brain is trying to tell me that “this time, it’s real”. Has anyone else experienced this particular fear? Any words of wisdom?

nomorepanic
10-08-18, 17:41
Words of wisdom - stop googling.

You are looking to find problems rather than accept a simple infection that will clear with the medication.

anxiouskitten
10-08-18, 17:46
Yup, couldn’t agree more....I do know better, but backslid a bit yesterday. :(

sammie13s
10-08-18, 17:49
Please know that you are already on antibiotics so the likely hood of this is like very rare. You can get sepsis through cutting your finger luv. Try and think logical. Google will always tell you the worse outcome. Iv had sepsis before and believe you me you will know about it. Temperature over 100. Try and relax. You will be fine I'm sure x

anxiouskitten
10-08-18, 17:52
Thank you for your response...the logical part of my brain understands, but sometimes my anxiety thinks it knows better...it can be very bossy!

sammie13s
10-08-18, 18:26
Believe you me. I understand. Have my own issues going on thinking I'm going to die. I should listen to my own advice. Always see logical side of it when it's someone else. Crazy. Get well soon. You will be fine I promise x

tan235
10-08-18, 21:29
Hi There,
I have a sinus infection but I've had it for 2 weeks and haven't taken antibiotics yet, I"m waiting for it to clear on it's own - I do have antis on board from Dr if it doesn't clear up though and I never worried about sepsis, I am now though ha ha but relax you've only had it two days AND your on antibiotics. And .. sepsis is RARE and TREATABLE. You dont 'have it though ... think about me when you freak out - I've been having congestion and sore head etc for 2 weeks now.

StephA
11-08-18, 03:36
Most sinus infections are viral so antibiotics won’t even help anyway. They just run their course and go away on their own. I’ve had more than one doctor tell me that around 95% of respiratory/sinus infections are viral. Most doc’s overuse antibiotics which is why there are so many superbugs now. Tan235, I’d hold off on the antibiotics too, if I were you. Of course if you start running high fever or get worse, then it might be wise to take them. Otherwise I’d wait it out! I’ve had many respiratory infections in my adult years and have never taken antibiotics for them. Knock on wood! OP, sepsis from sinus infections is extremely rare. No worries! Get plenty of rest and fluids.

tan235
11-08-18, 04:45
Thanks!!!!!!!