PDA

View Full Version : hell last night

JulieJay92
11-08-18, 08:57
was out for friends leaving do on thursday and yes had alot to drink, felt awful friday but it usually wears off, by 10pm at work last night had racing heart, shoulder pain, ringing in ears, tooth/jaw ache &breathless (i have asthma) and couldnt get to sleep on my hours break

Dr has again asked me to do BP when lying down in bed and even tho its conttrolled by meds this morning (saturday) it was 188/91

worried sick ive had a heart attack and havent really had panic attacks except when about to fly on a plane in recent 2 years

any help/advice would be appreciated

welsh girl
11-08-18, 09:43
Hi If you are worried , and I know what worry can do, but to relieve your mind, go to
A&E or even ring 111 for advice, I did exactly that a few month ago and they were lovely , and said they would rather come out to check than leave it to late,
I am only advising that to ease your mind

JulieJay92
11-08-18, 11:11
thanks, sadly i cant as working shifts all day again and cant let them down, just back from 1st call, i know from before my bp used to go higher so will check it again in the morning,

hoping it just felt worse as not had 1 in so long, but anxiety has eased (a little bit)

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

just did bp and now 160/80, considering last night at work it was 190/111

welsh girl
11-08-18, 12:05
I have been told to do my bp twice/three times and take the middle reading,with three minutes in between
I thought I would ask as I have to take mine every day at the same time and I am surprised at the difference
I just thought In would ask, might help,

Benjammin69
11-08-18, 12:38
You more than likely have alcohol induced panic. I get it when ever I have too much and it lasts a few days :-( you need a days rest and wash it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JulieJay92
12-08-18, 11:23
i ued 2 drink 5 pints r more daily but have reduced this to 2 or 3 with 1 day off and 1 blowout a week, went to chemist in between shifts and chemist said more than likely a mixture of both and to make an appointment this week for drs, which i will do in the morning, as i had been on water retention tabs for 2 mnths which recently stopped and bp has been going up slowly and the tabs had it around 125/70 so she said i may need to go on them again

welsh girl, i used to have to do that but became obsessed doing it thats why it is 3 times a week ay no particular time but this am it was 156/88

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 ----------

but my anxiety is deffinately at a heightened state so off to read dr claire weekes book

Fishmanpa
12-08-18, 15:18
i ued 2 drink 5 pints r more daily but have reduced this to 2 or 3 with 1 day off and 1 blowout a week

Maybe a re-evaluation of your alcohol consumption would be in order?

Positive thoughts :emot-drunk: *hic*

JulieJay92
12-08-18, 15:43
unsure what you mean fishpa as i have already reduced it to 2 pints 5 days a week, 1 with none - do u think i should go back to having more daily??

Fishmanpa
12-08-18, 16:12
unsure what you mean fishpa as i have already reduced it to 2 pints 5 days a week, 1 with none - do u think i should go back to having more daily??

I have no idea where you gleaned that from. Two pints is three 12 oz. beers here in the States. Out of 7 days in the week, you only go one day without a drink and still have one day where all hell breaks loose and you get drunk drunk. I know, even with a relatively low ABV, more than two beers and you're feeling the effects. Do you not see that as an issue? :shrug: Especially in light of you posting about the physical and psychological affect it's having on you.

Positive thoughts

Benjammin69
12-08-18, 17:10
I think the way you reacted to questions over your alcohol consumption says something about it man. I would re consider how many days you drink and maybe cut off some days.

I was similar to you and used to drink 3-4 pints of cider a day with one day off but that wasn’t doing me any good mentally especially when I was put on my tablets so I have now reduced drinking only to Friday and Saturday.

Friday I have 4/5 drinks and Saturday i normally meet with family or friends.

JulieJay92
12-08-18, 20:31
i also mistyped it should of read 2 days without, i only have 2 pints the other days after work and over about 5 hours so not drunk at all, i waas asking re alcohol as pharmisist said be cutting down by half that has relapsed my anxiety attacks and im finding it difficult now being a carer

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

havent touched a drop today as was meant to be working 9pm but they got my shift covered thankfully, i really hope im not dragged into this vicious circle again

yes i like a drink and yes i know it heightens anxiety thats why im reducing it slowly rather than go cold turkey

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

just this minute dr on call phoned and he said it was likely to have been caused by reducing my alcohol by half causing the temporary spikes in bp and anxiety attacks resuming so thanks everyone, goodnight for now:bighug1:

JulieJay92
13-08-18, 15:13
been to see my own doctor and she said it was great that i had cut down but my anxiety was caused by substiting alcohol for caffine drinks ie coke pepsi tea coffee etc so she is doiing a house call friday to see if it has subsided any

Benjammin69
13-08-18, 15:22
Great I stick to 7up free and smart water. That’s what I replaced it with :-)

Don’t stress no one passes judgement on here we only talk about what it could be - fantastic you reduced it by yourself.

Like I said I used to drink well over 4 pints a day and weekend more when I reduced I didn’t feel to clever too but it’s a poison we must remember that

ankietyjoe
13-08-18, 15:34

You're drinking nearly twice the government guidelines and alcohol is a known inducer of anxiety and/or depression.

What do you think you should do?

Try abstaining from alcohol for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. If that's a problem, maybe you should really think about abstaining for longer.

JulieJay92
13-08-18, 15:49
You're drinking nearly twice the government guidelines and alcohol is a known inducer of anxiety and/or depression.

What do you think you should do?

Try abstaining from alcohol for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. If that's a problem, maybe you should really think about abstaining for longer.

after having an horrific experience with my ex yes i do enjoy afew beers and my anxiety has been 1 or 2 a year which i can cope with, the daily units given change per country and as i lived in spain for many years its still below their limit, even my dr said not to quit it long term as i had no other health issues to do with the alcohol

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Great I stick to 7up free and smart water. That’s what I replaced it with :-)

Don’t stress no one passes judgement on here we only talk about what it could be - fantastic you reduced it by yourself.

Like I said I used to drink well over 4 pints a day and weekend more when I reduced I didn’t feel to clever too but it’s a poison we must remember that

thank you for that x:hugs:

ankietyjoe
13-08-18, 15:53
after having an horrific experience with my ex yes i do enjoy afew beers and my anxiety has been 1 or 2 a year which i can cope with, the daily units given change per country and as i lived in spain for many years its still below their limit, even my dr said not to quit it long term as i had no other health issues to do with the alcohol[COLOR="blue"]

So you won't try and abstain for a couple of weeks to see how it makes you feel?

And your Dr actually instructed you NOT to quit alcohol?

JulieJay92
13-08-18, 17:30
So you won't try and abstain for a couple of weeks to see how it makes you feel?

And your Dr actually instructed you NOT to quit alcohol?

yes she said just cut down and no as i have a stressful job and my holiday is in a few weeks when i know ill over-indulge

Fishmanpa
13-08-18, 18:03
While a few drinks in moderation is not harmful physically, what you describe is more than moderation. While it may not be affecting you physically at this point, the fact you're posting on an anxiety website about side effects from over-indulgence indicates it's affecting you mentally and frankly also shows an unhealthy alcohol habit. Being that you show no inclination to really want to change your habits, I don't know what else can be said :shrug:

It's your choice. Best on whatever you decide to do.

Popsitive thoughts

JulieJay92
13-08-18, 18:25
While a few drinks in moderation is not harmful physically, what you describe is more than moderation. While it may not be affecting you physically at this point, the fact you're posting on an anxiety website about side effects from over-indulgence indicates it's affecting you mentally and frankly also shows an unhealthy alcohol habit. Being that you show no inclination to really want to change your habits, I don't know what else can be said :shrug:

It's your choice. Best on whatever you decide to do.

Popsitive thoughts

thank you for that, appreciate it, i know i will look back after my holidays and seriously cut down then and maybe only drink 2 nights a week

also been on here years before i drank the way i used to, do now and have found it really helpful

ankietyjoe
14-08-18, 14:22
My observation is that you have an alcohol dependency problem, which is one step away from alcoholism.

Take that as you wish, but while your drinking may well make you feel better in the short term, there is a 100% chance that it will cause you problems sooner rather than later.

JulieJay92
14-08-18, 14:46
thank u, not getting into an arguement

but my great aunt drank a bottle of whiskey and died aged 89 from sepsis while being treated in hospital for an ankle injury

Fishmanpa
14-08-18, 15:04
but my great aunt drank a bottle of whiskey and died aged 89 from sepsis while being treated in hospital for an ankle injury

My friend died of lung cancer and never smoked a day in his life, so go figure. You came on here with anxiety about the effects of your alcohol consumption and have dismissed advice and all you've done is justify your drinking habit. So be it. No argument.

Hope things work out for you.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
14-08-18, 15:38
You came on here with anxiety about the effects of your alcohol consumption and have dismissed advice and all you've done is justify your drinking habit.

Bingo

JulieJay92
15-08-18, 07:53
ur comments made me more anxious on nightshift while i was alone Ankietyjoe so i will refrain from posting my problems in future as it felt that you were bullying me not to drink and disputing what my dr had said

---------- Post added at 07:53 ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 ----------

and at the moment ive got more shifts with the nhs so i am down to 16 units a week which is 1 pint more than the uk recommended

ankietyjoe
15-08-18, 09:56
My Father is an alcoholic. I used to be in a relationship with an alcoholic. I know what the signs are.

Your anxiety is not my fault. I am merely steering you towards an idea. Remember it was YOU that came here complaining of issues after a heavy night of drinking.

And if your Doctor is telling you to carry on drinking then yes, I dispute his/her expertise.

JulieJay92
15-08-18, 17:49
ankietyjoe, i never said that my anxiety was your fault, i now know what caused it to get worse, 20th anniv of grandmothers death in a bombing and after seeing pharmasist today he said it was various trigger like working near her house and overdoing coffee/cigarettes

apologies on my belhalf, just felt like i said b4 that i was getting bullied re drinking

ankietyjoe
16-08-18, 12:58
I promise I'm not trying to bully you, but people with an alcohol problem (or any chemical dependency) tend to be in denial. I was exactly the same when I gave up smoking.

Your relationship with alcohol is a problem, and will contribute to more problems in the future.

Other psychological will play a part in how you're feeling, as will cigarettes/caffeine.

What I've learned about anxiety is that stressors can come from a number of sources. They can be physical, mental, environmental, chemical etc etc. They tend to accumulate over time. You're stressed at work so you don't sleep, you drink more coffee because you're tired, you don't eat during the day because the coffee keeps you going, then you binge eat bad food at night, you then drink to help you sleep. One of those things in isolation might not be too bad, but bad habits can develop. In your case it sounds like booze has become a bad habit, and unfortunately booze is directly responsible for negative effects over time, even if it helps you feel better in the short term. Because alcohol is legal, it's perceived to be ok, but it works in exactly the same way as other drugs in terms of dependency.

I used to drink too much, take drugs, stay up until 2-3am every day then go to work after 4 hours sleep, drink coffee all day, eat crap food etc etc etc. One day it just hit me like a ton of bricks and I then went through 10 years of anxiety hell. You probably know this, but once it starts you can't just switch it off. As boring as it sounds, NOT doing all those things and eating/sleeping properly accounts for a good proportion of peoples recovery. You have to treat your body properly to feel better, I don't really see a way around that.

I you feel I was bullying you, I apologise. Absolutely not my intention.

JulieJay92
17-08-18, 10:31
I promise I'm not trying to bully you, but people with an alcohol problem (or any chemical dependency) tend to be in denial. I was exactly the same when I gave up smoking.

Your relationship with alcohol is a problem, and will contribute to more problems in the future.

Other psychological will play a part in how you're feeling, as will cigarettes/caffeine.

What I've learned about anxiety is that stressors can come from a number of sources. They can be physical, mental, environmental, chemical etc etc. They tend to accumulate over time. You're stressed at work so you don't sleep, you drink more coffee because you're tired, you don't eat during the day because the coffee keeps you going, then you binge eat bad food at night, you then drink to help you sleep. One of those things in isolation might not be too bad, but bad habits can develop. In your case it sounds like booze has become a bad habit, and unfortunately booze is directly responsible for negative effects over time, even if it helps you feel better in the short term. Because alcohol is legal, it's perceived to be ok, but it works in exactly the same way as other drugs in terms of dependency.

I used to drink too much, take drugs, stay up until 2-3am every day then go to work after 4 hours sleep, drink coffee all day, eat crap food etc etc etc. One day it just hit me like a ton of bricks and I then went through 10 years of anxiety hell. You probably know this, but once it starts you can't just switch it off. As boring as it sounds, NOT doing all those things and eating/sleeping properly accounts for a good proportion of peoples recovery. You have to treat your body properly to feel better, I don't really see a way around that.

I you feel I was bullying you, I apologise. Absolutely not my intention.

thank you for that - i do agree as i would miss meals, also smoke (dont drink coffee but tea which is caffine too) all because of work. dr yesterday signed me off for 2 weeks to try and get back on track with food etc. he also upped my BP meds and have a check up 4 days before returning to work to see if the meds had got it back to a safe level, i was told to keep busy as although he signed me off work i can still go out as normal, shopping, cinema bar once a week etc etc

but more positively i havent had an attack since seeing her and spoke to work (also not checked bp, have to do it on sun and tues and thats it and she will take it in surgery and take into account my white coat syndrome

i do think your right ankietyjoe, i do have a dependance and you have made me take the 1st step admitting it so thank you x :hugs:

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 ----------

gave in lol tried bp and has dropped in 12hrs to 154/95