PDA

View Full Version : fear of leukemia ruining my life

vee07
12-08-18, 13:02
This is my first time posting here and I am an 18 year old female.

I had a CBC in November and it came back normal. The doctor said I had allergies and that was it. Now, I have been having a persistent cough and the doctor said it's nothing to worry about. I found 4 bruises on my leg and I don't remember hitting myself. found 2 on my arms only a few weeks ago but they went away. I also have these weird red spots on my skin. I am so scared that I have leukemia. I haven't gone to school in so many days and I cannot focus on anything. This is my first worry when i wake up. I really need someone to tell me if I should visit the doctor again. She is tired of me and doesn't wanna see me for the next 4 weeks. I can't stop crying and I don't know what to do.

heylumos
12-08-18, 13:26
This was me for four years! I was completely convinced that I was going to die of leukemia. I had bruises and fainting spells, which made me even more sure! But it's been another four years since I last worried about it, and you know what? I'm completely healthy! If you've had a CBC and you're doctor isn't worried, you are fine. I know how easy it is to give in to the anxiety, I missed so much school as well! But trust me on this - you are fine. I know it feels certain to you, in your gut, that something is wrong, but a CBC would have revealed it if something was wrong. Your anxiety is lying to you, and it's a massive struggle, but you can beat it. CBT was very useful for me with health anxiety, it might be worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet! Best of luck x

vee07
12-08-18, 13:52
I know this is stupid but the test was done in November and its been so long. I'm scared something bad happend in between. I don't know what to do

lucymarie
12-08-18, 14:06
Vee your doctor wouldn't let you go if they thought there was anything wrong. They know exactly what to look for in terms of your bloods etc. I bruise like a peach, even when I can't trace it to an injury, it's very common. If you are really worried you can always see a different GP to get a second opinion, but it will most likely be the same. Did they explain what your cough might be?

vee07
12-08-18, 14:16
Vee your doctor wouldn't let you go if they thought there was anything wrong. They know exactly what to look for in terms of your bloods etc. I bruise like a peach, even when I can't trace it to an injury, it's very common. If you are really worried you can always see a different GP to get a second opinion, but it will most likely be the same. Did they explain what your cough might be?
They told me that my cough is due to my allergies. However, they simply refuse to let me get another CBC. I had a MS scare not so long ago and went to about 5 doctors so my mother just won't let me get a second opinion

lucymarie
12-08-18, 14:21
They told me that my cough is due to my allergies. However, they simply refuse to let me get another CBC. I had a MS scare not so long ago and went to about 5 doctors so my mother just won't let me get a second opinion

If you had another CBC it wouldn't ease your fears though would it? In a few months you'd be feeling the same as now thinking it had missed something :( Have you spoke to your GP about your anxiety?

vee07
12-08-18, 14:27
If you had another CBC it wouldn't ease your fears though would it? In a few months you'd be feeling the same as now thinking it had missed something :( Have you spoke to your GP about your anxiety?
Yes I have and they've asked me to get help but unfortunately, my family doesn't believe in therapy. :(

lucymarie
12-08-18, 14:31
Yes I have and they've asked me to get help but unfortunately, my family doesn't believe in therapy. :(

If you are 18 you don't need your parents permission. Can you make an appointment to see your GP on your own and ask for a referral to your local CBT?

vee07
12-08-18, 14:42
If you are 18 you don't need your parents permission. Can you make an appointment to see your GP on your own and ask for a referral to your local CBT?
I am visiting my GP tomorrow to beg for another CBC. This is my 3rd visit in the past 10 days. I will ask her about CBT then :(

lucymarie
12-08-18, 14:52
I am visiting my GP tomorrow to beg for another CBC. This is my 3rd visit in the past 10 days. I will ask her about CBT then :(

While I don’t personally think a CBC is nessercary Im glad you will ask about the CBT. Let me know how you get on :)