PDA

View Full Version : my attacks don't seem to be going away despite being on setraline for 5 weeks

Stephanie
15-08-07, 07:02
Although I've suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for 10 years- I'm new to this. Everytime I come off my Antidepressants a few months later I have another attack- so intense that I can't stay still I can't sleep!!! I started having this latest atteck towards the end of term- I'm a teacher you see. I was going on hliday and began to panic that I was going to panic in a foreign country- which naturally meant I did. After spending three weeks in France and Spain in a huge state- taking sleeping pills every night I came home and started to feel better- I even reduced the slepping pills to 1/4 of one a night. Went to see a psychiatrist who said not to worry too much about the sleeping pills- that my need for them would subside with the anxiety (I get paranoid I'm going to become addicted with makes me worse). Unfortunately had a really bad night last night, even though I've been taking sertraline for 4 and a bit weeks. I'm sacred! It should have gone away. Took two slepping pills last night to no effect- Feel like I losing it again. Can't bear the thought of feeling like this when I go back to school.
Please someone reply quickly I need someone to tell me I'm goin to be alright.

Stephanie
15-08-07, 10:10
Please someone reply- I'm feeling scared and desperate

Insomniac
15-08-07, 11:55
Hi Stephanie

I remember that feeling of panic and losing my mind all too well. It does pass!

I am on meds now, and when I started them I felt strange, then adjusted to them, then got panicky again. My doctor very slowly and gradually increased the dose, I'm still on a relatively low dose. But I have found that it works for me now. It was as if my body got used to the dose, and it wasnt working so well... but now I guess I must be on the right level.

I really hope this helps.... Hang in there Stephanie. :hugs: PM me if you like.

Stephanie
15-08-07, 13:10
Thank you for the support. Been to the Gp this morning and she was lovely and really helpful. They're going to keep giving me the sleeping pills and want me to do what I did before and come down gradually. Everything seems to be stressing me out and I don't think it helps that my partner and friends are all at work.
What does PM mean?

northern_sky
19-08-07, 19:20
PM means private message :) Click on someone's name and it gives you this option to talk (well type!) to them in private.

samtheman
19-08-07, 19:34
I think your missing one valuable ingredient here, CBT, you can pop pills,drug yourself until the cows come home but unless some work has been done to address the underlying anxiety its going to have this affect when you come of medication, I believe its called rebound anxiety, Its like taking the plug out of the bath, once you stop the medication all comes rushing back.

Medication will not cure an anxiety disorder, it is designed to buy you time to address the underlying cause I.E visiting a psychologist, all to many doctors now adays dish out pills all to easy and that does no one any good.

maz
20-08-07, 00:07
Sorry you are having such a rough time right now. Anxiety is horrible and I understand how frightening it is for you. Not being able to sleep I know does not help. I know it may sound daft but honestly try a little lavender or clary sage essential oi in your bath and on your pillow it may help and it cant do you any harm.
Maybe you can seek other treatment alongside your medication. I am being treated now in a day hospital, I know that without my medication I would have been unable to begin the treatment I am now getting. I hope things settle down for you
Take care of yourself
Mariaxx