PDA

View Full Version : Back to Work

twister
31-10-03, 13:53
I am asking so many questions I am sorry! I was wondering if anyone has any advice about what to say to people when I go back to work - I will have been off for 3 weeks and everyone will ask why and I dont really want everyone to know. I work in a place full of outgoing gossipy people who wouldn't understand panic disorder at all.

I am also worried about having to take further time off for counselling etc, has anyone got any experience of dealing with this. My partner keeps saying I just need to put myself first and ignore them at work if they say anything about me taking time off - but I feel guilty and am afraid I will get the sack or at the very least no pay rise, promotion ever because they'll want to get rid of me ....

Laurie28
31-10-03, 14:02
I was the same when i went back to work after being off for 3 weeks. You don't have to explain anything to anyone. I told my immediate supervisor because I had to give a reason for being sick and he never understood in the slightest. However my main manager was great and I have been given alot of support.
It should not affect your promotions etc and they certainly can't sack you!!
I think you may be surprised how many people go thru this you are not alone!
Good Luck
Ps Asking questions is what this forum is about
we are all here for you
It is great your work can offer CBT

Mich
31-10-03, 14:23
Hi Twister
Ive been off for 2 weeks on the sick, and yesterday I was signed off again for another 2 weeks, I called into work (yesterday too) to see my boss who thankfully is very understanding, but I was dreading what my colleagues would say! and to my suprise they were great, very concerned, I didnt hide anything back, when they asked me what its been like I told them. I got lots of support and one of my colleagues (male) even found it an opportunity to discuss his own problems with me, which made him feel better (I never knew he had them!). So even tho you think you are the only one with a problem at work - you will be suprised, your not. If you feel confident enough, talk to anyone who asks!! it does help

Dont Worry xXx
Michelle

kate
31-10-03, 18:39
Hi Twister, I never told anyone at work that I suffered with anxiety, and I had been there 6 years. When asked to go anywhere I just made excuses.However, when I was offered group therapy and also counselling, this was during work time and involved me having an hour off work once a week. I had to "come clean" about my probs, although I didnt give all the details, in order to have the time off. My boss was fine about it and so were my work collegues. I have since changed jobs and I have been honest from the start with my new workmates and everyone has been very understanding. Some have even suffered themselves. So, my advise is just take a deep breath, and tell them, you will be pleasently surprised by the reponses you receive! Take care Kate

nomorepanic
01-11-03, 19:22
Hi Emily

I took a month off work once (many years ago) and I believe they told everyone I was suffering with stress - no-one mentioned panic attacks. When I went back no-one asked!

This time round (new job) I told my boss who told my colleagues and they have been ok but my boss blows hot and cold as to whether he understands or not.

I guess no-one really understands and I still take days off sick cos of the panic and the guys I work with don't offer much support or sympathy!!

Nicola