PDA

View Full Version : Ulcerative colitis or something worse?!

LuSmith
13-08-18, 19:11
So I'm falling down the health anxiety rabbit hole again :unsure: I went to the doctors today after being told that my stool had blood in it, but when I went to the doctors she said it was to do with my calprotectin markers in my stool and blood inflammatory markers that were quite high. I've had a sigmoidoscopy two years ago or so and it came back normal so this is extremely bizarre to me.

She said it's likely it could be UC or Crohns (my brother has UC and I've always been told I have IBS) but I'm so scared it's something much worse. I've looked up on calprotectic a little but wanna stay away from Dr. Google, however the doctor saying originally blood in the stool makes me super paranoid it's something really bad.

The reason all this started was because I had a bout of diarrhea for about a week that only just stopped a couple weeks ago and so I was having it tested for infection and whatever (it came back negative for infection).. however, I know that diarrhea presents a lot in IBD too.

So in any case, I guess my main concern is that it's not IBD and that it's something far more sinister due to the ongoing bowel problems and the apparent blood in stool.

I don't know what to think as my mind's in a bit of a spin atm.. I guess I have to wait a couple of weeks for an appointment to see a gastroenterologist again. Just needed to air my worries haha... :weep:

Capercrohnj
13-08-18, 19:36
So I'm falling down the health anxiety rabbit hole again :unsure: I went to the doctors today after being told that my stool had blood in it, but when I went to the doctors she said it was to do with my calprotectin markers in my stool and blood inflammatory markers that were quite high. I've had a sigmoidoscopy two years ago or so and it came back normal so this is extremely bizarre to me.

She said it's likely it could be UC or Crohns (my brother has UC and I've always been told I have IBS) but I'm so scared it's something much worse. I've looked up on calprotectic a little but wanna stay away from Dr. Google, however the doctor saying originally blood in the stool makes me super paranoid it's something really bad.

The reason all this started was because I had a bout of diarrhea for about a week that only just stopped a couple weeks ago and so I was having it tested for infection and whatever (it came back negative for infection).. however, I know that diarrhea presents a lot in IBD too.

So in any case, I guess my main concern is that it's not IBD and that it's something far more sinister due to the ongoing bowel problems and the apparent blood in stool.

I don't know what to think as my mind's in a bit of a spin atm.. I guess I have to wait a couple of weeks for an appointment to see a gastroenterologist again. Just needed to air my worries haha... :weep:
I have severe Crohn's so I'm quite familiar with IBD. The way you describe your symptoms is that if it is UC it is a mild case. Blood in stool is not unusual in IBD. At my worst I was going 30 times a day and the toilet bowl was full of blood each time.

nomorepanic
13-08-18, 19:45
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

LuSmith
17-08-18, 15:58
I have severe Crohn's so I'm quite familiar with IBD. The way you describe your symptoms is that if it is UC it is a mild case. Blood in stool is not unusual in IBD. At my worst I was going 30 times a day and the toilet bowl was full of blood each time.

Thanks. My brother has severe UC so I'm familiar with the symptoms, which is why I was surprised as I only occasionally have diarrhea. I'm used to having loose-ish stools but it tends to be managed well with Colofac. I never noticed any blood other than from hemmorhoids when wiping but afaik my elevated calprotectin levels mean it could be an IBD. I was wondering if it's likely to be raised levels because of any other reason, like an infection. I do take omeprazole as well and read somewhere PPI can raise levels, but with the symptoms of D and such I very much doubt it's because of my meds.

I've been referred to a gastro but the first appointment isn't until December which is an incredibly long and scary wait. I'm worried that waiting this long when it could be something serious is bad, but the doctor said I wasn't to worry as it wasn't an urgent appointment (and the other hospital I could have gone to is too far away).

Is it safe for me to wait until December? What if I had UC this whole time? My health anxiety is going crazy with worry over what kind of problems I have now and whether December will be leaving it too late..

I know this is not a place anyone can diagnose anyone but I wondered whether anyone would know of any other reasons for this calprotectin result, and what the usual symptoms are for UC?