PDA

View Full Version : Scared about pulmonary embolism

Siffi
13-08-18, 23:21
So I know this comes up alot on here, but I'm just really scared. It all started when my heart was racing, dizziness, confusion and sweating whenever I used to walk around alot. I went to the doctor and she ordered blood tests and an ECG and that all came back normal. She booked me in for a 24 hour ECG and that's not until the 3rd September. My blood pressure is really low usually under 100/60 and she thinks that that is the cause.

I found out that my grandad died of a PE and that made me panic even more since I've heard they are genetic.
On the train today, I felt pressure on my chest and felt quite uneasy and then I went into full blown panic mode.
I have no idea what to do and how to stop worrying about this and that one day I'm just going to drop dead.
I think my acid reflux has been acting up again and that's why I'm getting chest symptoms. But my mind isnt convinced about that at all.

Clydesdale Epona
14-08-18, 00:26
Speaking from an acid reflux symptoms my breathing and chest has been killing me for a few days, I think 111 would of sent me to A and E but I'm alive :)

No you have any risks? Bc, smoker, overweight, past experience ect?

PE's occur from DVTs which are a blood clot that commonly occurs in the calf but can elsewhere.
You would of noticed this pain for sure and judging by my partners dad who's had many and is at risk you have about a few and to a week before it breaks off and moves. It could be longer but he's waited as long as a week before(i think you care less when you've done it enough haha)

It will then eventually travel to the lung where you will have shortness of breath(we're not talking piddly anxiety or asthma here we're talking can not breathe ect, chest pain(again shit pain heart attack pain but in the centre) and generally passing out which is quite common, you would know if you had a PE and depending on how long you've had the symptoms you may be dead by now so you won't likely have one.
Trust me I've been sent for scans and checks quickly for those things just because I use birth control, a doctor won't mess around if they're concerned that's the reason :)

Siffi
14-08-18, 17:38
Thanks a lot for the reply. That's true I guess my doctor would have definitely ran some more tests if she suspected anything nasty.

As for risk factors, I am a little overweight but not obese and I've been a little inactive since my classes stopped for the summer. Thinking about joining a gym next month just to get fitter.

The chest pain isn't bad but it still does send me into panic mode. I do tend to feel like I can't get air down though.