PDA

View Full Version : Fear of dogs/cats

mare serenitatis
14-08-18, 05:27
I do like cats, and actually have had a few.

A few states away, multiple people have gotten infected with an incredibly rare bacteria from the mouth of a pet. One for sure died suddenly, and the other had to have his arms and legs amputated! I live around a lot of people with animals, and having a cat myself I’m having a hard time being calm about this.

It’s not even the animal that bothers me. It’s the fact that it’s happenstance, one person can get sick and die and another can be fine with the same bacteria from the same animal.

I had a relative die (who had a host of other issues) from toxoplasmosis exposure from a cat. I’m paranoid I’m going to get licked/scratched by an animal and suddenly die.

Crevan
14-08-18, 05:53
I'm so sad to hear this; I work with animals on a regular basis and they are such wonderful creatures. I have seen those articles, and I believe that particular issue is more so with immunosuppressed folks and improper hygiene. I never let my dogs lick me on the face, wounds, etc. but I know plenty of people who do and they are still fine (and most of them have multiple pets in their household).

It also appears to be incredibly rare (but I am not one to judge, I have catastrophic thinking revolving around animals as well) - so it is honestly something I would not be concerned over :) Remember, the news will always overplay situations.

mare serenitatis
14-08-18, 05:59
Thank you for your comment! Can I ask what you do with animals?

I’m good about washing my hands, etc. but it makes me fearful for my baby, and my husband. Who LOVES dogs.

Crevan
14-08-18, 06:35
I am a pet photographer, so I visit shelter animals, farm animals, people's pets, etc. on a very regular basis! :) I have seen plenty of people, and young children, who let dogs lick them on the face and such haha. I'm pretty sure as a kid I was one of them; I used to have 0 fear of anything!

Phill2
14-08-18, 07:02
I let my dogs lick any cuts and scratches I get as it seems to make them heal faster.
My son did get cat scratch fever once but everyone else in the house was OK with the cat.
Maybe it was just something to do with his makeup.:shrug:

MyNameIsTerry
14-08-18, 07:12
I let my dogs lick any cuts and scratches I get as it seems to make them heal faster.
My son did get cat scratch fever once but everyone else in the house was OK with the cat.
Maybe it was just something to do with his makeup.:shrug:

Who was wearing make up, your cat or your son? :biggrin:

(And do his army buddies know, I bet they would love a photo of that! :biggrin:)

---------- Post added at 07:12 ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 ----------

I am a pet photographer, so I visit shelter animals, farm animals, people's pets, etc. on a very regular basis! :) I have seen plenty of people, and young children, who let dogs lick them on the face and such haha. I'm pretty sure as a kid I was one of them; I used to have 0 fear of anything!

That sounds like a great job!

My dog licks my face and has licked wounds that had clotted. I have a lot of scratches and cuts due to problems with med side effects causing loads of itching for many months, have always had dodgy skin and a problem with skin picking which resurfaced years back when I relapsed and my OCD came. So plenty of wound sites on my legs.

Fishmanpa
14-08-18, 12:59
I was waiting for this to show up on the boards after I saw the story :lac: Didn't take long. I won't get into the odds, number of pets vs. something so rare etc. because it won't help but suffice it to say it's up there with invisible bats and SFI.

Positive thoughts and puppy kisses :D

mare serenitatis
14-08-18, 15:41
Fish, your comment was neither constructive, or helpful. In fact, it’s patronizing. I’m sure you came to the board for similar reasons, or at the very least anxiety related- as we are all doing.

In your earliest posts, would you have found your own comment particularly helpful?

AMomentofClarity
14-08-18, 15:57
Fish, your comment was neither constructive, or helpful. In fact, it’s patronizing. I’m sure you came to the board for similar reasons, or at the very least anxiety related- as we are all doing.

In your earliest posts, would you have found your own comment particularly helpful?

The issue with modern society (internet, 24/7 news, social media, etc) is that we now hear about things that 20 years ago we would have never known existed. And more often than not, those things are just something else to worry about, especially to those of us with anxiety.
But logically, fish is 100% right. How many hundreds of millions of pets in the US and a couple of people get sick from them? I mean, you’re better off worrying about what to do with your 2nd powerball winnings. You can only worry about so much, it’s better to pick your battles.

Fishmanpa
14-08-18, 16:15

I'm not a sufferer. I found this site when I was fighting cancer and anxiety sufferers were inundating the cancer forums with their irrational fears. I followed several to this site to give them a piece of my mind as it's highly disrespectful to post on a forum where people are actually fighting and some dying of Head and Neck cancer. After reading, I decided to stay and help. That was 5 years ago. I have a daughter that suffers from anxiety and depression and it has helped me understand more about the illness. Personally, I've dealt with depression after my heart attacks and cancer but I got help and actually used the CBT4Panic that's offered here in conjunction with talk therapy and meds.

I don't pull punches nor serve tea and sympathy. I offer reality. I understand that approach isn't what some people want to hear. This story about the dog was spurred by a one in a couple billion incident. That's reality. Sorry you're fearing this but it truly is a non issue. I'll refrain from commenting on your posts henceforth.

Positive thoughts

lofwyr
14-08-18, 16:23
I grew up with sixty plus sled dogs. We fed them downer cows and livestock that had to be put down for various reasons associated with not making them human edible, which we processed ourselves. My entire childhood was a fearless childhood spend surrounded by dogs and dead livestock which we used for food. Many of the people I knew and associated with were the same sort of folk.

I used to climb into packs of sled dog pups who would climb all over you licking and nipping, and I cannot think of ever even hearing about this, and I lived and worked in the dog world for a very long time, still having no less than three pet dogs at a time.

In all that time, I knew hundreds of people like me, and I never heard of a single instance of anything like this. Maybe we bolstered our immune system.

And I don't think Fish meant it in a patronizing way at all. And he is actually quite correct. Any time a new news article shows it's head detailing some rare disease or affliction, within a matter of hours it shows itself here. I totally agree that a 24/7 news cycle is a lot to do with it. They have to fill that time, and the stories detailing death from things with very long odds have a way of percolating to the top.

I think Fish was trying to illustrate the absurdity of those long odds, which is actually something many find reassuring. I do, anyway. There are more ways to address anxiety than kid gloves, and what works for some, might not work for others, but the opposite is true as well. Just take the advice you want to, and disregard the rest. His actually, more often than not, is very solid for me.

MyNameIsTerry
14-08-18, 17:06
All those sled dogs, that's very cool! I remember another member who spent years around sled dogs. Sounds like a very interesting upbringing.

lucymarie
14-08-18, 18:59
My dogs drink eachothers wee (before I can stop them, I’m not a heathen :D), eat sheep poo/many other unmentionables they find outside, lick eachothers netherregions, play in grubby lakes and far many more doggo things I couldn’t possibly list. On numerous occasions much to my dismay, they have gone in for a sloppy doggo kiss as they do and licked my face, hands and god help us - eyes! (that was gross). Anyway, im still here more is my point. You would have to have an incredibly surpressed immune system to be affected and even then it would likely just be a short term thing. Animals are much cleaner than the human world we are currently working/commuting etc in.

Phill2
15-08-18, 01:16
Who was wearing make up, your cat or your son? :biggrin:

(And do his army buddies know, I bet they would love a photo of that! :biggrin:)

Him mainly but he has been known to put it on the cat too.
We don't have cats any more as I got sick of the kitty litter tray.
Every time Julie says "nice cat" I reply with "litter tray".

Dunno about the army.
What happens on camp stays on camp.:whistles:[COLOR="blue"]

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

[QUOTE=Fishmanpa;1817056]I'm not a sufferer. I found this site when I was fighting cancer and anxiety sufferers were inundating the cancer forums with their irrational fears. I followed several to this site to give them a piece of my mind as it's highly disrespectful to post on a forum where people are actually fighting and some dying of Head and Neck cancer. After reading, I decided to stay and help. That was 5 years ago. I have a daughter that suffers from anxiety and depression and it has helped me understand more about the illness. Personally, I've dealt with depression after my heart attacks and cancer but I got help and actually used the CBT4Panic that's offered here in conjunction with talk therapy and meds.

I don't pull punches nor serve tea and sympathy. I offer reality. I understand that approach isn't what some people want to hear. This story about the dog was spurred by a one in a couple billion incident. That's reality. Sorry you're fearing this but it truly is a non issue. I'll refrain from commenting on your posts henceforth.

Positive thoughts

I know where you're coming from.
Until I found this site many years ago I thought I was the only one in the world with anxiety and the support from others (you included) has been great.
As far as the dog thing goes I do know of one person that died from it about 10yrs ago but as you say how many dogs are there in Australia and how many cases?

MyNameIsTerry
15-08-18, 01:49
Him mainly but he has been known to put it on the cat too.
We don't have cats any more as I got sick of the kitty litter tray.
Every time Julie says "nice cat" I reply with "litter tray".

Dunno about the army.
What happens on camp stays on camp.:whistles:

Poor thing :D

http://i.imgur.com/UaHFEuH.jpg

As a married man of some years you should know full well with pu55y comes responsibility young man :winks:

lofwyr
15-08-18, 02:50
Someone put the deaths of people from this bacteria into a numerical perspective. This afflicts so few people that statistically you could win the Powerball twice or be struck by lightning 4 times. The press just looks for things that are scary to talk about.

"Tune in at elven to know why your dog licking you could be deadly!"

Crevan
15-08-18, 03:51
Exactly; news sources absolutely love rare and dangerous things because they create hype. Just like with rabies, MS, and multiple other conditions (I remember our news source once talking about a rare form of cancer and listing off symptoms such as headaches and making it sound like anyone could have it... very dramatic). Yet, those of us with health anxiety tend to latch onto SOMETHING dramatic. I'm currently fighting with rabies fears and keep thinking every little symptom is a sign of it starting. Thankfully through these forums - and the harsh, logical words of others, I can calm myself by reading over old posts and people pointing out how absurd of a fear it is. I personally do appreciate tough love, but I suppose it's not for everyone!

At the end of the day, enjoy your pets and enjoy life. Those are words I am trying my hardest to live by at the moment.

Weasley123
15-08-18, 15:11
If u don’t want reality and help with your anxiety don’t post. Fish is right this is not a rational fear. I have ha and I gave 4 dogs and 4 cats. They slip with me kick me etc. right now I’m dealing with a flea outbreak despite being on preventative It’s grosss but I cleaned switched to a new flea med and the problem already coming under control. Maybe it’s bevause my own fears are cancer based rather then infection based, but I don’t get this fear. It’s so rare and pets are such a wonderful comfort. I can’t imagine being upset when someone r points out the illogic in your thinking. That’s helping not hurting. I assume that if u r coming here u want help

Totallyphobic
16-08-18, 14:17
I am sorry to hear that you now fear cats and dogs. For what it is worth I suffered for years from extreme HA and anxiety with rabies being my number one fear. Two years ago I lost my husband and my grandsons brought me home a wonderful cat who is the love of my life right now. As a sufferer of HA let me assure you this disease is extremely rare and perhaps the two infected had compromised immune systems we don't know. But as a animal lover anyway it pays to get proper vet care to protect you and the animal. A pet also has a way of calming extreme anxiety and trust me in my severe mourning I suffered high anxiety and my cat really soothed me and still does to the point where I am almost totally off my medication. Please don't let these two episodes affect you with fear pets really are the best medicine.

mare serenitatis
23-08-18, 16:55
I appreciate that, thank you! My own kitty has been incredibly helpful in terms of being such good company.

I’m sorry for your losses, and I’m happy that you’ve found comfort in your furry friend. :)