PDA

View Full Version : Post-op catastrophising or complications?

Deep Blue
14-08-18, 14:44
Was feeling awful physically after my gallbladder op but so pleased I'd actually gone through with it & not run screaming from the hospital pursued by nurses.
But now the anxiety has reasserted itself.
A couple of examples; support stocking. Got to wear them for 2 weeks. Was warned they're hard to put on. Got it wrong. Got sore marks on foot & legs. Has that bruise got worse? Wear them & get pressure sores? Leave them off & get a DVT?
And is it normal for what normally comes out brown to be yellow? Every hour or two? (sorry!)
One bit of advice I was given years ago was to face my fears. Gradually they lessen and my general anxiety state will lower.
I've just faced, over the last few months some of the worst fears I have.
But I can't see any improvement in my anxiety. Same old same old.

Feel like I am mentally & physically shattered & wondering how to cope.

mare serenitatis
14-08-18, 15:09
I think you need to look at a greater victory here:

You went through with surgery. That’s fantastic.

It stinks, because you probably feel out of sorts right now physically, which does not help your mental state. But, the good news is that because you’re post op, your follow up appointments will help catch anything that is changing, and you can bring up any fears.

I had my gallbladder removed quite some time ago, I don’t remember what’s normal and what isn’t. But they should have given you a phone number to call with questions after any surgical procedure.

You’re in the middle of facing your fears, not at the end, that’s maybe why it seems so intimidating. Keep going!