PDA

View Full Version : How do people deal with weird things on their skin

claire92
14-08-18, 18:26
I have a strange rash-type patch on my thigh - about 1cm X 2.5 cm, and of course the first thing I'm worried about is skin cancer. I know that this is incredibly unlikely, it doesn't look anything like pictures of any type of skin cancer (guilty of looking... sorry) and doesn't look angry at all - it's just some red bumps collected together. I also know that even if it was skin cancer I only noticed it 3 weeks ago so there's no way it wouldn't be able to get sorted!

I'm currently living in Mexico and don't have a GP so I've had a phone appointment with a doctor who has recommended I try some steroid cream for a week and see if it affects it at all. He also said it could be sun damage. It's been 24 hours and I just can't stop looking at it! I've shown it to two friends who have both said not to worry and that they've had similar things.

I'm not asking for medical advice as I know most of you aren't doctors and can't see it, but what are some things I can say to myself to quieten this worry? I've just spent far too much time on NHS UK and WebMD, both of which semi-proved that the only type of skin cancer I could potentially have would be pre-cancerous, but still I can't stop thinking about it! HA is so cruel :/

Anyone have any tactics for dealing with this type of thing? It's the 'wait a week' thing that keeps me in a state of panic!

NervUs
14-08-18, 18:46
I always wait a month (or more). I mean, if it was obviously growing exponentially and causing serious discomfort or something, I would break my rule. But, skin things I have learned you need to sit with. If they are going away, they will begin to do so within a month (a week is way too short).

claire92
14-08-18, 19:29
Thanks. I left it for 3 weeks to see if it went away on its own before I had this call, now I'm trying a week with this cream. I think it's a bit better.. but it's only been 24 hours anyway. It's definitely feeling softer which I'm taking as a good sign.