PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the guilt/stress of moving my dog

.Poppy.
15-08-18, 15:52
I just moved into a new house and moved my dog in with me. He was previously living at my parents' house in the country, but they have a dog he doesn't get along with so it's better if he's with me. The house I chose is about as good as it gets for Chisum - single family, not too big, privacy fenced backyard. Chisum suffers from anxiety and is medicated for it - he's fear reactive towards strangers and sometimes other dogs (he's not a big fan of the dogs in the yard next door because they bark at him a lot).

He's been with me two days and I know there's an adjustment but he's struggling. He's obsessed with looking out the window and will shake and bark/growl if he sees something scary out there. To me, I relate because it reminds me all too much of being in the throes of HA and constantly having to check/pick/poke/prod even though it reinforces the fear.

I have ordered frosted window film because the blinds aren't working to deter him, so that I can have them open but he won't be able to see anything. I play the radio when I'm gone to try to mask scary noises (but it's very possible he's just hiding the whole time I'm gone anyway). I've started walking him on a leash in the backyard because it seems like it's just too much new, scary space for him to handle. He does sleep through the night, which I am very thankful for.

I'm just torn between feeling really terrible for turning his life upside down and coming to terms with the fact that he's going to need 10x the management in a town setting. It's quite tiring.

I really just needed to vent, but words of advice and encouragement are appreciated!

AMomentofClarity
15-08-18, 16:08
Dogs are amazing at being adaptive and having “short memories.” There’s a saying....lock your dog and your best friend in your trunk for 15 minutes, and see what one is happy to see you when you open it. Clearly a joke, but it makes a valid point.

Like anything, there will be a transition period, but you guys will get through it.