PDA

View Full Version : 9 days of body aches

hazelbritt
15-08-18, 18:06
Hi all,

I've been in an anxiety spiral for the last week and a half. It started with ear pain and slight sore throat, along with what felt like swollen glands in my neck and body aches as if a fever was coming on. This all triggered my fear of throat cancer. The ear pain was on and off for a week, as well as the other symptoms. But it is the body aches and feeling a bit weak that has had me in a panic the last few days. I was worried that this has been a persistent low grade fever and i stupidly googled it and learned that it can be a sign of cancer. Has anyone else experienced this?

utrocket09
15-08-18, 18:20
Viruses can take a week or more to recover from

hazelbritt
15-08-18, 19:46
Thanks for your response utrocket09. My logical brain tells me that I'm probably just fighting some sort of virus. The anxiety has me in major catastrophic thinking...

hazelbritt
17-08-18, 22:02
Still feeling really worried about these body aches. It's now been 12 days. I have this feeling of dread as if there is something seriously wrong with me. I'm tempted to turn to Google to try and get some reassurance, but I know there will probably be something that comes up in the search that will throw me into a panic.

textsfromthemoon
19-08-18, 07:54
Still feeling really worried about these body aches. It's now been 12 days. I have this feeling of dread as if there is something seriously wrong with me. I'm tempted to turn to Google to try and get some reassurance, but I know there will probably be something that comes up in the search that will throw me into a panic.

Definitely don't google, the odds of you finding reassurance on Google as opposed to something that is going to spike your anxiety even higher is very low. The thing is, both viruses and anxiety can cause body aches, and its very likely you're suffering from both, if you're still feeling sick, maybe see your GP to see if you need antibiotics or anything like that, but imo i think it's just general sickness and anxiety

hazelbritt
19-08-18, 12:32
I read your message just as I was about to give in and Google textsfromthemoon. Thank you for taking the time to respond and helping to make me rethink. I hope you are right that it's just a general virus and/or anxiety symptoms

hazelbritt
23-08-18, 09:20
Two and a half weeks on and I'm still having achey pain, mainly in my hands (thumbs and fingernails particularly) and feet. I'm going to see my GP this afternoon. I haven't googled these symptoms, but I'm not sure if it has been helpful not to google. I still have this feeling of dread that this is pointing to something really awful, but what I'm afraid of is vague in my mind - lymphoma? leukaemia? ALS? MS? I don't know. I haven't been able to shake the anxiety over it. Whenever I feel the pain, it's as if my imagination reads that sensation as a deadly disease spreading throughout my body. Is it really better to not google?

ankietyjoe
23-08-18, 10:27
I had a nasty virus last year that took about 3 months to fully recover from. There is no set time for recovery, and if you are also anxious it will probably take a lot longer.

The best thing you can do is rest as much as possible and consume as much nutrition as possible. The best possible sources of nutrition being fruit and veg. Contrary to most advice, the less you eat the better. It allows your body to focus on healing rather than digesting, although within reason!

Further to this, anxiety in itself can cause bodywide paid indefinitely. It's a very common symptom.

hazelbritt
23-08-18, 10:59
Thanks you for responding ankietyjoe. Yes, it probably would be a good idea to boost my nutrition, instead of eating all the carbs/sugar in an attempt to numb and quiet the anxious thoughts (not really working, probably not helping).

Do you struggle with health anxiety? How were you able to accept that your symptoms were just a virus?

ankietyjoe
23-08-18, 12:28
I used to have severe HA, but not any more.

The trick is to just ignore it and stop checking symptoms. Sounds simple, but that's all there is to it.

hazelbritt
23-08-18, 15:31
I used to have severe HA, but not any more.

The trick is to just ignore it and stop checking symptoms. Sounds simple, but that's all there is to it.

I would ignore it if I didn't fear that ignoring symptoms could lead to me having a terminal illness

ankietyjoe
23-08-18, 15:46
You have to ignore your fear of ignoring it too.

Health anxiety more than almost any other kind of anxiety is entirely created by the person suffering.

hazelbritt
23-08-18, 17:59
I'm waiting to be seen by the doctor now. I'm hoping I will get some reassurance, although I know that reassurance isn't ultimately what is necessary to defeat the real beast (anxiety)

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Well, that didn't make me feel any better.
The doctor found that I had a temperature, which I wasn't expecting. She said that it's probably a virus or infection of some sort and she's ordered some blood tests. She said that she isn't worried about anything really serious at this point, but that 2.5 weeks is quite a long time to be feverish, so wants to check things out.
To be honest, I was hoping she would just tell me that all these symptoms were down to anxiety. Now I have to wait until Wednesday for the results of these blood tests....

ankietyjoe
23-08-18, 18:05
I had a nasty virus last year that took about 3 months to fully recover from. There is no set time for recovery, and if you are also anxious it will probably take a lot longer.

You may need some antibiotics, you may just need more rest.

Just after I had my infection, my youngest had the same thing. He was only three at the time and was feverish for two weeks solid and didn't eat a single thing for 10 days. Sometimes infections take a while to fight.

There's still nothing that signifies anything to worry about.

hazelbritt
23-08-18, 19:16
Thanks ankietyjoe - I will try to keep telling myself that the most probable explanation is a virus or infection and non-life-threatening.

It's amazing how little reassurance we can get from doctor's sometimes. Like, the fact that she said she isn't concerned didn't make one difference to the anxiety levels.

ankietyjoe
23-08-18, 20:00
No amount of reassurance will stop the thoughts of somebody suffering with health anxiety.

That's why you have to learn how to ignore the instinct to self check, google, overthink etc.

The problem is being created in your mind, not in your symptoms.

Stand back and think about it for a second....all you really have is a stubborn cold.

bludobie
23-08-18, 21:42
Hi HazelBritt - I have been in your shoes with the muscle aches. They are so non-specific and if you visit Dr. Google an avalanche of possible really scary possible causes surface. I went through a battery of tests and the only "bell ringer" was elevated thyroid antibodies suggestive of Graves Disease. After having a crappy experience with an endocrinology practice who was dismissive of the muscle aches as a sign of Graves (it is likely with the opposite condition, i.e., hypothyroidism), I sought help from an accupuncturist and integrative medical doctor. I eliminated gluten from my diet and reduced stress (was working two jobs) and all the scary muscle aches went away and my thyroid antibodies declined. I was on a path of nuking my thyroid gland with the endo. Muscles aches are a sign that the immune system is at work (due to infection or other). Find out what is activating it... virus? autoimmune response activated by leaky gut? Rest, take magnesium, take hot baths. Your post reminded me of a dark time when I felt horrible. Hang in there!

Please keep us posted on your visit

Nervousmommy
24-08-18, 00:55
I had this same thing recently. I was sure it was cancer. It was just a virus, likely coupled with anxiety which can certainly give body aches.

hazelbritt
24-08-18, 11:32
Hi HazelBritt - I have been in your shoes with the muscle aches. They are so non-specific and if you visit Dr. Google an avalanche of possible really scary possible causes surface. I went through a battery of tests and the only "bell ringer" was elevated thyroid antibodies suggestive of Graves Disease. After having a crappy experience with an endocrinology practice who was dismissive of the muscle aches as a sign of Graves (it is likely with the opposite condition, i.e., hypothyroidism), I sought help from an accupuncturist and integrative medical doctor. I eliminated gluten from my diet and reduced stress (was working two jobs) and all the scary muscle aches went away and my thyroid antibodies declined. I was on a path of nuking my thyroid gland with the endo. Muscles aches are a sign that the immune system is at work (due to infection or other). Find out what is activating it... virus? autoimmune response activated by leaky gut? Rest, take magnesium, take hot baths. Your post reminded me of a dark time when I felt horrible. Hang in there!

Please keep us posted on your visit

Thank you for your encouragement. It can feel very dark in times like these and it is good to know that I'm not alone. I will try to get some more rest this weekend - it's been tough this week as I have two littles one with chickenpox (mama did two all nighters in a row, ugh)

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

I had this same thing recently. I was sure it was cancer. It was just a virus, likely coupled with anxiety which can certainly give body aches.

It's just awful isn't it? I'm glad that it didn't turn out to be sinister for you. It's so confusing how anxiety itself can cause physical symptoms. It makes it even more difficult to distinguish reality from the anxious imagination

hazelbritt
04-09-18, 16:40
I'm not really experiencing body aches anymore. I have noticed a few here and there, but I've been trying to ignore them.

What hasn't gone is this feeling of weakness or instability. I feel almost like my hands are shaking when I'm trying to do things, even though they are not really. I am feeling afraid that I am losing dexterity in my hands. I seem to be taking longer to do things, and it takes more concentration. When I walk, I feel a bit unsure on my feet and sometimes my knees give out on me a little bit.

I don't even know what I'm afraid of - perhaps ALS or MS, but I'm not googling so I have no idea what the real symptoms of those diseases are. I don't want to google and go down that rabbit hole to be honest.

It's just difficult ignoring this feeling of dread and fear that my body is losing strength.

ankietyjoe
04-09-18, 18:04
It's post viral fatigue. Very common, especially in those that already suffer with anxiety.

Go overboard on fresh (preferably organic) fruit and veg, ease back into things, don't go running any marathons and make sure you get enough sleep. The 5 a day thing is rubbish, it's just not enough for most people.

The bad virus that did the rounds last year took me about 3 months to fully get over.

hazelbritt
04-09-18, 19:26
It's post viral fatigue. Very common, especially in those that already suffer with anxiety.

Go overboard on fresh (preferably organic) fruit and veg, ease back into things, don't go running any marathons and make sure you get enough sleep. The 5 a day thing is rubbish, it's just not enough for most people.

The bad virus that did the rounds last year took me about 3 months to fully get over.

Interesting, could be that I suppose.

Weirdly, the body aches mysteriously came back just after I wrote about them being gone and have been bothering me for the last couple hours

pulisa
04-09-18, 19:35
Interesting, could be that I suppose.

Weirdly, the body aches mysteriously came back just after I wrote about them being gone and have been bothering me for the last couple hours

It's not weird though because you have been thinking about them again and hey presto...Tempting fate? A breeding ground for HA symptoms!

hazelbritt
04-09-18, 19:41
It's not weird though because you have been thinking about them again and hey pesto...Tempting fate? A breeding ground for HA symptoms!

I guess it just goes to show how much our mind can influence physical sensations and symptoms. Will try to ignore them again!

hazelbritt
05-09-18, 21:50
I'm spiraling a little bit here.

Ever since last night, the body aches have returned with a vengeance. I'm not imaging this pain, surely. I can feel it in my fingers and particularly my thumb, also in my feet. It frightens me so much. I get worried that perhaps my bones are riddled with cancer. Every time I feel it, the anxiety is present, like a dark cloud over me.

All I want is to feel well and to be well

hazelbritt
06-09-18, 15:44
Does anyone else get pain in their hands? I'm so confused & don't understand what could be causing this.

hazelbritt
06-09-18, 20:02
I'm sorry guys, I may be really irritating tonight. My husband is away for the night, so I am feeling quite alone and vulnerable to my own thoughts.

This pain in my hands, arms, and sometimes feet is really getting me down. I hate the nature of health anxiety. When your mind is telling you that your body is a threat, and you can't run away from your own body, it's just so hard to sit there with the fear.

I've started online CBT therapy this week, although the first session was just to get to know each other and discuss the issues I've been having and set some goals. It's still very early days. I feel positive about getting help, but sometimes (like now) I just wonder how I will ever escape this beast. Or I feel like I obviously have some terminal illness so what is the point as I'm just going to die anyway.

Ugh, not having a good night

ankietyjoe
06-09-18, 21:22
If you're going to google something (and I'm sure that's what you're doing) then google fibromyalgia. It's very common to experience this after an infection and includes body aches and pains (everywhere) and severe fatigue.

That's what you have, and it does go away.

hazelbritt
06-09-18, 22:28
I'm not googling actually. I'm trying very hard to stay resolute with that.

I don't even know if I had an infection or virus. My doctor didn't suggest that. He actually more seemed to think it was nothing, just anxiety. Can anxiety cause fibro?

ankietyjoe
06-09-18, 22:34
A virus is an infection.

It's not whether anxiety can cause fibro, it's that a constant state of anxiety is a big stressor, which in turn runs you down and depletes your reserves resistance. So does any kind of bacterial or viral infection.

Doctors are very reluctant to even talk about Fibromyalgia as it's such a wide topic and open to denial, but there are literally millions of reports of cases and symptoms. Doctors generally don't get involved in chronic conditions they can't treat.

It's really just a case of multiple ways of supporting your body to heal. You need rest, you need plenty of fluids and you need a LOT of nutrition. Personally I found consumption of huge quantities of fruit and veg to be a life saver. In the order of 15 portions a day. The 5 a day guideline is nonsense when you're under that much stress.

hazelbritt
06-09-18, 22:46
I will try increasing my nutrition. I've already cut out sugar.

What I meant was that I don't even know if I had a virus or what. These symptoms just came out of nowhere and have persisted for a month. I didn't feel ill at all in any other ways, except for the throat/ear thing which is another ongoing on/off problem for me.

ankietyjoe
06-09-18, 22:59
"It started with ear pain and slight sore throat, along with what felt like swollen glands in my neck and body aches as if a fever was coming on"

I think that sounds as much like an infection as it possibly could! :)

The other thing about persistent anxiety is that it does compromise your immune system.

hazelbritt
07-09-18, 17:22
Feeling very alone with this anxiety right now.

My mom is usually to one that I can always turn to with my worries, but she has been very unavailable recently. My husband has been away & he has a lot of work stress right now, so I don't really want to bother him with my worries. I come on here, and I do appreciate when others respond and offer encouragement, but I guess sometimes it only goes so far to alleviate the weight of anxiety.

I know many of you will understand these feelings.

pulisa
07-09-18, 17:43
What do you want people to say that they haven't so far? What would help and what does "encouragement" mean to you? Hopefully not reassurance?

hazelbritt
07-09-18, 17:47
What do you want people to say that they haven't so far? What would help and what does "encouragement" mean to you? Hopefully not reassurance?

I guess that's what I'm getting at, pulisa. Nothing that anyone says, on here or even friends and family, can take away the worry and fear. That is what is making me feel alone right now.

ankietyjoe
07-09-18, 18:09
I guess that's what I'm getting at, pulisa. Nothing that anyone says, on here or even friends and family, can take away the worry and fear. That is what is making me feel alone right now.

Yes, but you can.

pulisa
07-09-18, 19:34
It's much better to be able to manage your anxiety yourself rather than continually rely on others and online forums.

hazelbritt
07-09-18, 20:25
Yes, I agree. That is why I have begun working with a therapist to go through CBT. However I've only had one session, and I know that it's not going to be a 5 minute job. I wish I could snap my fingers and be rid of all anxiety, but it doesn't really work that way

pulisa
07-09-18, 20:34
No one said it does-it's an ongoing process and there will be good phases and not so good phases but you are doing the very best thing by working with a therapist and finding ways to manage your fears yourself. Taking responsibility for your mental health is so important in your recovery.

ankietyjoe
07-09-18, 20:48
Taking responsibility for your mental health is so important in your recovery.

This is SO true.

I honestly believe it's the only way to recover. It took me a long time to realise this but once I did I almost completely beat anxiety in about 18-24 months with effort, every single day.

CBT is a great start, CBT is the perfect kick start to accepting where you are and not reacting to whatever stimulus anxiety throws in your path.

hazelbritt
07-09-18, 20:57
Wow, 18-24 months seems like a very long time to me! Still, it must have been worth the effort to be finally free of anxiety. Good for you
I don't really know what that effort looks like yet, what the strategies are going to be. I'm right at the beginning of my journey. I am proud of myself for taking steps towards recovery. But man, at the moment it feels like it may get worse before it gets better!

ankietyjoe
07-09-18, 21:01
Well I suffered with anxiety on and off for about 10 years before I realised it was all me. So 18-24 months was a flash in the pan by comparison, and it only took a couple of months for me to realise things were improving.

Once you realise the problem is within you, and can be fixed by you, a lot of the weight is lifted. I guess it's a feeling of distant control.

hazelbritt
09-09-18, 18:58
Feeling incredibly tempted to Google hand pain. This is so hard to resist when you are desperate for reassurance that you are going to be okay. But I know that ultimately something will come up that suggests it's a lethal disease and the anxiety will increase.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't!

pulisa
09-09-18, 19:33
Why are you damned if you don't?

hazelbritt
09-09-18, 19:41
Why are you damned if you don't?

Because so far, in my experience, the anxiety doesn't go away by not Googling. It still is there and my imagination comes up with all sorts of things in lieu of Google. It just feels like uneducated anxiety.

The reason we go to Google is not because we want to find some terrible disease. It's because we want to find something that reassures us that our worst fears cannot be true. And even though I know that the relief is temporary, it still is relief!

ankietyjoe
09-09-18, 20:02
You don't NOT google once and anxiety goes away. You have to practice NOT googling for weeks/months.

You will never, ever be reassured by googling symptoms. You will always keep looking until you find the danger your subconscious is looking for.

Therefore, don't do it. It serves absolutely not purpose whatsoever.

hazelbritt
09-09-18, 20:05
You don't NOT google once and anxiety goes away. You have to practice NOT googling for weeks/months.

You will never, ever be reassured by googling symptoms. You will always keep looking until you find the danger your subconscious is looking for.

Therefore, don't do it. It serves absolutely not purpose whatsoever.

Working on it. I'm not giving in to the temptation, just expressing that it feels really hard right now!

pulisa
09-09-18, 20:45
Working on it. I'm not giving in to the temptation, just expressing that it feels really hard right now!

It will be very hard but if it were easy you wouldn't be here now. I don't know what you mean by "uneducated anxiety"? It's a misconception that Dr Google educates.

ankietyjoe
09-09-18, 20:55

I know it's hard. But it's one of those things you just have to go cold turkey on in my experience. I just wanted to illustrate that behaviours we learn over a prolonged period of time take longer than we think to unlearn too.

And we're always here next time you feel like googling! :yesyes:

pulisa
09-09-18, 20:58
I know it's hard. But it's one of those things you just have to go cold turkey on in my experience. I just wanted to illustrate that behaviours we learn over a prolonged period of time take longer than we think to unlearn too.

And we're always here next time you feel like googling! :yesyes:

We are the Anti-Google Forum Protection Squad!:D

hazelbritt
09-09-18, 21:16
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Just say no - to Google ❌📵❌

ankietyjoe
09-09-18, 22:02
We are the Anti-Google Forum Protection Squad!:D

https://media.giphy.com/media/2t9sDPrlvFpdK/giphy.gif