PDA

View Full Version : Worried about blood clots in leg again :(

anxious_thoughts
10-08-18, 06:13
Hi everyone,

It’s currently 1am and I’m in fear that there’s a blood clot in my left leg. I’m overweight and started taking Lo Loestrin fe 6 days ago due to heavy periods.

Two days ago I started getting this pins and needles feeling every so often, that were here and there on my body. That’s when my fear for the blood clots started happening. Now today I felt my legs feeling so weak and exhausted, now I’m not sure if it’s because I’m over thinking this or what.

I’m laying in bed and I have this pain in my left leg closer to the bottom of my left butt cheek, there’s also a bit of pain in my foot. There’s no discolouration or anything, and the area doesn’t feel warmer than usual. My legs isn’t falling asleep either. But it’s just a throbbing pain, from my left butt cheek and even radiates down to my left knee. I haven’t noticed any swelling either. Could this just be in my head and I’m focusing too much on it? I’m thinking of maybe calling my doctor tomorrow morning and just seeing what she says. Aside from it all, the pill works great in helping irregular bleeding and I have no other side effect. I just hope it’s all in my head and the pain is only there because I’m unintentionally flexing the muscle. But really I’m terrified :weep:

Scass
10-08-18, 07:02
Of course speak to your doctor if you’re in absolute fear, but you don’t seem to be showing symptoms of a blood clot, just an achey leg?

Have a warm bath, take a painkiller if it’s really bad. Rest it, and try and find something that helps you relax. You’re worrying about a lot of things lately [emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anxious_thoughts
10-08-18, 07:05
Of course speak to your doctor if you’re in absolute fear, but you don’t seem to be showing symptoms of a blood clot, just an achey leg?

Have a warm bath, take a painkiller if it’s really bad. Rest it, and try and find something that helps you relax. You’re worrying about a lot of things lately [emoji853]

Thank you for the response! Ever since I’ve started my birth control my worry has been going through the roof. Any little pain I feel I start to obsess over:weep:

I think I’ll try resting it and see how it goes tomorrow. Still planning on calling my doctor just to make sure. I just need that bit of reassurance :(

Scass
10-08-18, 12:04
I understand. Perhaps you can ask them what you do need to look out for?
But I’m sure they wouldn’t prescribe if you were in any way high risk.

anxious_thoughts
10-08-18, 12:45
I understand. Perhaps you can ask them what you do need to look out for?
But I’m sure they wouldn’t prescribe if you were in any way high risk.

As soon as they open I will send them a call!
Personally, I am overweight and my blood pressure can be slightly high at times (which they sometimes think is anxiety related). So that right there already makes me terrified!

The type of birth control I’m taking has the lowest amount of hormones though, so that’s a good sign also, less chances. I just don’t know if it’s all in my head or if it’s actually happening

ErinKC
10-08-18, 16:37
That sounds like sciatica pain. But, I've had blood clot fears many times and I know how bad they are. Call your doctor and speak to her about how taking birth control really increases your fears of blood clots. Have her explain the actual risks to you and what you should really look for symptom wise.

Millions of people take birth control and while it does slightly increase the risk, the increase is low. Remember a few years ago when there was a huge law suit against Yasmin birth control for higher numbers of blood clots? When more than a few people got them on that pill it was a major scandal, so if an unusual or high number of people were getting blood clots from birth control we'd know about it.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

I just checked the numbers.

The risk of blood clots in women generally is 1-5 in 10,000 each year. That means between 0.01% and 0.05% of women get a blood clot ever year. For those on birth control, the instances increase to 3-9 in 10,000 or 0.03% to 0.09% of women on birth control per year.

So, that's pretty small... If you do it by average, if you put 10,000 women not on birth control in a room, on average 3 of them would get a blood clot that year. If you put 10,000 women taking birth control in a room, on average 6 of them would get a blood clot that year.

Your risk never even reaches a tenth of a percent.

Plus, this doesn't account for other risk factors. Like, how many of those women had a genetic predisposition or how many of them smoked or took long flights or just had babies, etc...

Bottom line, the chance you'll get a blood clot ever in you life is very small, and taking birth control makes the chance still very small.

Fishmanpa
10-08-18, 16:38
You've posted quite a few threads in the last week or so. You've run in similar patterns before. Has something happened recently that's triggered you?

Positive thoughts

anxious_thoughts
10-08-18, 16:57
That sounds like sciatica pain. But, I've had blood clot fears many times and I know how bad they are. Call your doctor and speak to her about how taking birth control really increases your fears of blood clots. Have her explain the actual risks to you and what you should really look for symptom wise.

Millions of people take birth control and while it does slightly increase the risk, the increase is low. Remember a few years ago when there was a huge law suit against Yasmin birth control for higher numbers of blood clots? When more than a few people got them on that pill it was a major scandal, so if an unusual or high number of people were getting blood clots from birth control we'd know about it.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

I just checked the numbers.

The risk of blood clots in women generally is 1-5 in 10,000 each year. That means between 0.01% and 0.05% of women get a blood clot ever year. For those on birth control, the instances increase to 3-9 in 10,000 or 0.03% to 0.09% of women on birth control per year.

So, that's pretty small... If you do it by average, if you put 10,000 women not on birth control in a room, on average 3 of them would get a blood clot that year. If you put 10,000 women taking birth control in a room, on average 6 of them would get a blood clot that year.

Your risk never even reaches a tenth of a percent.

Plus, this doesn't account for other risk factors. Like, how many of those women had a genetic predisposition or how many of them smoked or took long flights or just had babies, etc...

Bottom line, the chance you'll get a blood clot ever in you life is very small, and taking birth control makes the chance still very small.

Hello Erin! Thank you for all the info. If my leg wasn’t in pain I wouldn’t be so worried. I’ve never had this pain before with the pins and needles prickle sensation.

Currently on hold waiting to speak to my Dr. Ugh! This is so nerve wracking.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

You've posted quite a few threads in the last week or so. You've run in similar patterns before. Has something happened recently that's triggered you?

Positive thoughts

Hello Fishman,

It’s been a while since my anxiety has been this bad. It’s all because I’ve started birth control. I’m so scared of blood clots. My left leg is sore in two places, it’s a throbbing pain. I also keep getting that pins and needles in my foot.

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

So my doctor isn’t in today and they asked me to call back tomorrow.

Now I’m in the situation of whether I should continue taking the birth control tonight or stop. I used to see a gyno, maybe I’ll give her a call since she was the one that wanted me on this birth control.

ErinKC
10-08-18, 16:59
The pins and needles are almost definitely anxiety related. I just went through a horrible anxiety spiral. I had sciatica and convinced myself it was a blood clot. I had tingling, buzzing, twitching, numbness, throbbing... Then I found out about my umbilical hernia and suddenly the blood clot symptoms were gone and I had only GI symptoms. Then I was bloated one day and convinced myself I had ovarian cancer until I got an ultrasound sound that was clear, and guess what? The bloating was down before I even got home from the appointment. The next day my neighbor called to say he was in the ER with pancreatitis possibly caused by a broken off gallstone. He went to the ER with pain across his abdomen (which I'd had the first day I found the hernia). Literally while still on the phone with him I got pain in my upper right abdomen. That was the moment I realized how out of control my anxiety had become.

It doesn't seem possible, but we can literally give ourselves any symptom we choose with only our minds. Anxiety is like a super power gone wrong!

anxious_thoughts
10-08-18, 17:39
The pins and needles are almost definitely anxiety related. I just went through a horrible anxiety spiral. I had sciatica and convinced myself it was a blood clot. I had tingling, buzzing, twitching, numbness, throbbing... Then I found out about my umbilical hernia and suddenly the blood clot symptoms were gone and I had only GI symptoms. Then I was bloated one day and convinced myself I had ovarian cancer until I got an ultrasound sound that was clear, and guess what? The bloating was down before I even got home from the appointment. The next day my neighbor called to say he was in the ER with pancreatitis possibly caused by a broken off gallstone. He went to the ER with pain across his abdomen (which I'd had the first day I found the hernia). Literally while still on the phone with him I got pain in my upper right abdomen. That was the moment I realized how out of control my anxiety had become.

It doesn't seem possible, but we can literally give ourselves any symptom we choose with only our minds. Anxiety is like a super power gone wrong!

I appreciate your response so much. I love that you take the time to write out such a thought out response. :)

Yes, I’ve gotten pins and needles before with anxiety. I’m thibking they feel worse this time because I’m focusing on them. It’s absolutely crazy at what anxiety can do to your body. It’s ridiculous because I know this already but yet I’m still working myself up! Seems like the main symptoms of blood clot in your le is swelling in the area and discolouration. I have neither so I’m trying to keep calm.

The last birth control I was on (Alesse). I was only on it for a week and stopped because two hours after taking it it gave me palpitations. Lo Lo - the one I’m on now, is amazing because I have no symptoms! But I’m just so afraid because of my depression I gained an extra 40 pounds so now I’m over weight and weigh 230 pounds. With the whole overweight thing and introducing the birth control into my body, it just sends out red flags to be aware of any odd sensation or symptom I might be feeling.

Another thing that worries me is earlier this month my family and I drove down to Florida. That’s 24 hours driving with only one over night stop. I remember at one of our bathroom stops I looked at my thigh (now this was before I started birth control) and it was all red and splotchy at the front but then it went away and never happened again not even on the drive back. Not sure what is was, I didn’t have any pain with it or anything. But it makes me think maybe it was a start of a blood clot and now this birth control is gonna make it happen again

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

Also my gyno closed at noon today so I couldn’t speak to her. Now I’m worried about whether I should take another pill tonight or not. Or completely stop. I’m hoping to talk to my doctor or her nurse tomorrow over the phone and see what they say. I’d like to continue on with the birth control but I’m so worried that if it actually is a blood clot, it will make things worse!

Fishmanpa
10-08-18, 17:50
It’s all because I’ve started birth control.

There it is! A fear of blood clots coupled with a Dr Google inspired very rare side effect and bingo! :doh: I doubt it's anything sinister but I know you won't rest until you get the reassurance you're seeking. Let us know what they say. I'll have the "Told Ya So Gang" on standby :winks:

Positive thoughts

anxious_thoughts
10-08-18, 18:09
So I just spoke with an over the phone nurse who assessed my symptoms and because I was also on a road trip for 24 hours three weeks ago she wants me to go to the clinic. Now my anxiety is so much worse.

AMomentofClarity
10-08-18, 18:14
So I just spoke with an over the phone nurse who assessed my symptoms and because I was also on a road trip for 24 hours three weeks ago she wants me to go to the clinic. Now my anxiety is so much worse.

Of course she did....because on the .0001% chance you have a blood clot, she doesn’t want to be sued. It’s CYA.

anxious_thoughts
10-08-18, 19:53
Hi everyone,

So I went into the walk in clinic and got checked out. Heart rate and blood pressure were high but I came in bawling my eyes out and all panicky. My blood pressure is usually high there.

Anyways, he measured my legs and they’re the same size. He told me that where the pain is located (at the upper back of thigh) that there’s no vein there. He checked for discolouration and there’s nothing either. But the pain and slight tingle is still there. He said to stop taking the birth control as a precaution and now I have an ultrasound to check it out in about 30 minutes.

He actually also told me that if I’m worried to go to the ER. That because I’m on BC and my heart rate and BP was high that there is a possibility. But, since he isn’t my doctor he doesn’t realize that they are usually always high with my anxiety. Anyways, he gave me a letter to bring there just in case something does happen.

I hope to get my ultrasound done and ask the technician if they see anything abnormal. If it gets worse by tomorrow I’ll go to the ER, but I’m praying it doesn’t.

AMomentofClarity
10-08-18, 19:58
He actually also told me that if I’m worried to go to the ER. That because I’m on BC and my heart rate and BP was high that there is a possibility. But, since he isn’t my doctor he doesn’t realize that they are usually always high with my anxiety. Anyways, he gave me a letter to bring there just in case something does happen.

Translation: “You do not have a blood clot, but I’ve done everything that I can do in my office. If you’re still concerned, go to the ER where they can perform additional testing.”

Fishmanpa
10-08-18, 20:11
Translation: “You do not have a blood clot, but I’ve done everything that I can do in my office. If you’re still concerned, go to the ER where they can perform additional testing.”

Exactly. But when someone is circling the drain, it's near impossible to stop it from happening :shrug:

Positive thoughts

anxious_thoughts
10-08-18, 20:54
Hey everyone,

Just got back from the ultrasound on my left leg and although the results aren’t in for another two days the technician was so kind and he showed me what he could see. Blood flow was perfect and there are no blockages.

Would it be okay to continue my birth control? The doctor told me to stop just as a precaution, but if there’s nothing showing I’m assuming I can continue?

Fishmanpa
10-08-18, 21:03
Just got back from the ultrasound on my left leg and although the results aren’t in for another two days the technician was so kind and he showed me what he could see. Blood flow was perfect and there are no blockages

Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood "Told Ya So Gang" :winks:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohzdLsbTLgJ7r4gIE/giphy.gif

Positive thoughts

anxious_thoughts
10-08-18, 21:17
Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood "Told Ya So Gang" :winks:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohzdLsbTLgJ7r4gIE/giphy.gif

Positive thoughts

Lol! I know I know

anxious_thoughts
16-08-18, 17:16
Hi everyone,

I started birth control about two weeks ago and it has heightened my fear of blood clots in my legs especially since I’m overweight, in school and not very active as I should be.

I had a scared about a week ago and went to the doctors because I had upper thigh pain at the back. I ended up getting an ultrasound done and they said the blood flow was great and there are no blockages.

Most of the pain and tingling that I felt went away after the ultrasound. But this morning I woke up with this itchy feeling in my left leg, in the calf area on the right side. It’s also a bit sore and I don’t know if I’m just over thinking it but I swear it looks a tiny bit bigger than my other calf. Ugh I’m so worried that the more I take this birth control the more I’m killing myself but I need to go on it for irregular periods. The doctor said I should try it out for three months and go from there. But this blood clot fear is something I think about daily and when there’s pain in my calf it seriously drives me crazy :weep:

utrocket09
16-08-18, 18:43
Hi everyone,

I started birth control about two weeks ago and it has heightened my fear of blood clots in my legs especially since I’m overweight, in school and not very active as I should be.

I had a scared about a week ago and went to the doctors because I had upper thigh pain at the back. I ended up getting an ultrasound done and they said the blood flow was great and there are no blockages.

Most of the pain and tingling that I felt went away after the ultrasound. But this morning I woke up with this itchy feeling in my left leg, in the calf area on the right side. It’s also a bit sore and I don’t know if I’m just over thinking it but I swear it looks a tiny bit bigger than my other calf. Ugh I’m so worried that the more I take this birth control the more I’m killing myself but I need to go on it for irregular periods. The doctor said I should try it out for three months and go from there. But this blood clot fear is something I think about daily and when there’s pain in my calf it seriously drives me crazy :weep:

Blood clot symptoms are not subtle. Take it from someone whom wears compression hose due to high risk of clots. If you had a clot, you would not be able to walk. The area would be warm to the touch and would be red.

nomorepanic
16-08-18, 23:51
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.