PDA

View Full Version : Neck Stretches and CAD

flatline
16-08-18, 22:06
Hi all,

I have posture problems and so I've had a routine of neck stretches that I've been doing for several months. However, recently I've learned that neck manipulation can cause tears in your arteries and I am quite scared
Is this something to worry about?

These are my stretches:
In a sitting position, touch both shoulders with my neck (without moving shoulders)
Look down and then rotate to both sides

Fishmanpa
16-08-18, 22:17
Is this something to worry about?

Not even in the least. I have neck issues due to surgery and treatment for my cancer. I do neck stretches daily and have done so for the last 5 years. This was a Dr Google thing right?

Positive thoughts

flatline
16-08-18, 22:18
Not even in the least. I have neck issues due to surgery and treatment for my cancer. I do neck stretches daily and have done so for the last 5 years. This was a Dr Google thing right?

Positive thoughts
somewhat? more that I strained my neck yesterday and started feeling weird pain (different from the chronic pain I have in my neck). I wasnt as gentle with my stretches as I probably should have been today as well

Fishmanpa
16-08-18, 22:20
somewhat? more that I strained my neck yesterday and started feeling weird pain (different from the chronic pain I have in my neck)

Which was a result of straining your neck right? Wouldn't that result in a different pain? :huh:

Positive thoughts

flatline
16-08-18, 23:18
Which was a result of straining your neck right? Wouldn't that result in a different pain? :huh:

Positive thoughts

Probably! But the 1% chance is still a chance for me

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

I did the EXACT motion ur not supposed to trying to throw my hair back and I heard my neck crack like 5 timss aagh that's really worrying me

Fishmanpa
16-08-18, 23:35
I did the EXACT motion ur not supposed to trying to throw my hair back and I heard my neck crack like 5 timss

Just an observation in general that your post brought my attention to.

It's fascinating to me how this illness skews one's sense of judgement and common sense. If anxiety is the flame on a candle, it's like "Let me Google this" and there goes the hand over the flame or, "Let me do the EXACT motion ur not supposed to trying to throw my hair back" and there goes the hand over the flame again :doh: HA seems to be a lot of self inflicted damage and an issue with willpower. In some ways, and I've seen it here many times, it's like a mental addiction. I've read many, many comments that talk about worrying because the person wasn't worrying!

Enough rambling. Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts

flatline
16-08-18, 23:41
I tried not to. I didn't even realize the motion I was doing was bad until I heard my neck crack. I don't have a massive headache but my neck still hurts and I'm quite worried

BazB44
17-08-18, 01:07
do you mean neck manipulations at chiropractor visits? I read about those being dangerous, which is why I stopped going to chiropractors. I have a "straight neck", no curve in my neck. But I don't think stretching the neck can cause issues, but I do worry myself about the chiropractor manipulations

MyNameIsTerry
17-08-18, 01:49
The neck stretches you are talking about are commonly advised to be done by doctors, the NHS and I remember them actually being part of the health & safety protocol for changing desks in offices which would have been agreed by our HSE dept.

I wonder how many billions of people stretch their neck on a daily basis? Yet how many people have a problem?

jray23
17-08-18, 02:40
Your neck has muscles. Stretch them.

Stretching is also not the same as manipulation. Which, even then a tear is extremely rare. Were it common, chiropractic care would be illegal.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

flatline
17-08-18, 19:46
self stretches, yeah.

I just got this weird sensation in my neck. I also just craned my neck to rinse my mouth out in the faucet (an OCD tick I have a lot). I really hope I didn't injure something :(

it feels almost...cold? there was a bit of pressure and almost like a popping and then this happened

it almost felt like something snapped or popped or something. no noise tho

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

doesn't help that my vision feels a bit off as well...

flatline
19-08-18, 12:47
every time i hear my neck crack on accident i worry about a stroke :')

jray23
19-08-18, 18:08
You do understand that this thought of neck crack = stroke is completely illogical, right? If so, when it comes up, just let the thought pass, don't spend time ruminating on it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

flatline
24-08-18, 22:51
i had to crane my neck quite far to wash my lips off in the faucet and I'm quite worried about tearing an artery again. ugh.