PDA

View Full Version : BM - Dark Flecks from Spinach?

ksm5084
17-08-18, 18:31
Really sorry in advance for the TMI. Just looking for some reassurance this morning. I'm a 28 y/o woman, and I've been having some anxiety over a bit of stomach pains and some loose stools. I ate a spinach salad last night around 7:30 pm (and a couple salads earlier this week), and today I've had a few BMs already (pretty normal color, maybe a darker green), but everytime I wipe, there are dark flecks on the toliet paper. Can anyone ease my mind that this might be spinach and nothing something sinister like dried blood? Is it too late in the day to be seeing that from dinner last night? I feel like I've had it many times over the years, but my anxiety of course is making me think otherwise. Thanks so much!

AMomentofClarity
17-08-18, 18:41
Yes, high iron foods such as spinach can lead to dark stool. Simple as that.
Dark stool from blood is EXTREMELY obvious....you would know.

ksm5084
17-08-18, 21:21
Thanks so much for your response! That was helpful. One follow-up - is it concerning though that the specks like dark, like black-ish? Not too green? I would assume maybe during digestion it changes color anyways...

AMomentofClarity
17-08-18, 22:09
Not at all. That’s what iron does....makes stool black.

ksm5084
17-08-18, 22:36
Thank you so much! You’ve given me a lot of reassurance. Much appreciated! :hugs: