PDA

View Full Version : Visiting sick relative is triggering my health anxiety...how to be there for them?

scaredpt
18-08-18, 00:28
I have been supporting and caregiving for a sick relative. They are in hospice. I am a caring person, and put my all into being there for my family. I have mostly recovered from health anxiety, but this has triggered me, and i'm already visiting doctors needlessly and having intense general anxiety.

How can I support my family but also manage my anxiety? Every day, I'm confronted with most people's in this forums biggest fears: death, terminally ill patients, my relative almost dead.

nomorepanic
18-08-18, 00:31
You have to put them first and ignore you own worries to be honest.

Just go and see them and support them and forget your own worries and look after them.

AMomentofClarity
18-08-18, 00:35
You have to put them first and ignore you own worries to be honest.

Just go and see them and support them and forget your own worries and look after them.

Absolutely this!

But also an observation....
This thread updated by you just 10 days ago: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=219047

Would you really consider yourself “mostly recovered from health anxiety”?

lucymarie
18-08-18, 09:43
Honest answer? You have to just suck it up and be there for them. My Dad and Grandma both went into hospice before they passed and I know how hard it is. But knowing I was there for them is worth every second and at the end of the day you get to leave and they dont. They need you.

Scass
18-08-18, 11:34
Yes, suck it up. This isn’t about you x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
18-08-18, 12:18
Your anxiety will pass.

Their condition won't.

Harsh, but that's pretty much it.