PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia - scared.

HullSimplibus
19-08-18, 02:29
I am overrun with anxiety, especially with my health. And now I have insomnia. I have had two coming up three sleepless nights in a row. Well, not sleepless, I just can't fall asleep. All I can do is rest.

And then, I started worrying about fatal insomnia where people can't fall asleep at all and then get dementia and die. It says its extremely rare and 99.9% of the time genetic but its still causing me a lot of worry. I had a panic attack over it.

Please help me. This is the worst of them all. I am afraid I will die:sad::sad::sad:

Scass
19-08-18, 03:31
So you’ve not slept at all for 3 days?
Not even for an hour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LunarCoffee
19-08-18, 04:28
Sporadic fatal insomnia has 7 cases recorded in medical history, as far as I remember. Not only that, but the first symptoms don't include insomnia. The insomnia settles in after the dementia and ataxia make you basically insane. Insomnia isn't a part of the first stage at all.

Also, it's borderline impossible to get SFI ever. The only that can be said about the chance of getting it is that it is even possible at all. I'm pretty sure that it's the third rarest disease, the first having 1 known case and the second two cases.

Worry not, my friend.

HullSimplibus
19-08-18, 09:16
So you’ve not slept at all for 3 days?
Not even for an hour?

Not any deep sleep. I'd find myself going into shallow sleep for an hour and waking up. Though I breath a sigh of relief when I had five hours of sleep, and I had a dream.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 ----------

Sporadic fatal insomnia has 7 cases recorded in medical history, as far as I remember. Not only that, but the first symptoms don't include insomnia. The insomnia settles in after the dementia and ataxia make you basically insane. Insomnia isn't a part of the first stage at all.

Also, it's borderline impossible to get SFI ever. The only that can be said about the chance of getting it is that it is even possible at all. I'm pretty sure that it's the third rarest disease, the first having 1 known case and the second two cases.

Worry not, my friend.

That is why I felt stupid for worrying. I am not as worried now I managed to fall asleep for while.

Its the same story. I say I won't google things but I do. And end up frightening myself to death.

WiseMonkey
19-08-18, 10:18
Also that extremely rare fatal insomnia has a genetic link and runs in families. You haven't got that.

HullSimplibus
19-08-18, 11:19
Also that extremely rare fatal insomnia has a genetic link and runs in families. You haven't got that.

I know. The version I was worrying about is not genetic but extremely rare and only has 7 cases so its obviously not what I have..Its probably just normal insomnia

I'm not really worried anymore because I finally managed to relax myself and get to sleep.

Scass
19-08-18, 15:55
Not any deep sleep. I'd find myself going into shallow sleep for an hour and waking up. Though I breath a sigh of relief when I had five hours of sleep, and I had a dream.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 ----------

That is why I felt stupid for worrying. I am not as worried now I managed to fall asleep for while.

Its the same story. I say I won't google things but I do. And end up frightening myself to death.

Sorry, but that’s just bad sleep - not “no sleep for 3 days”. Your anxiety can cause sleep problems, and lack of sleep can cause low mood and all sorts of symptoms.

Glad you got some rest.

Fishmanpa
19-08-18, 16:16

That's it in a nutshell :lac: You're anxious because you can't sleep so you Google and make yourself more anxious which in turn makes it harder to sleep etc. Vicious cycle for sure.

Positive thoughts

Missb89
19-08-18, 17:48
When in the worst of benzo withdrawal I would be awake for 40 hours, sleep 5, and repeat. I too convinced myself I had sporadic fatal insomnia. I even took myself to the ER because of my fear. This was three years ago. I still suffer from insomnia when my anxiety is at its peak (like now), but I'm still alive.

HullSimplibus
19-08-18, 18:02
When in the worst of benzo withdrawal I would be awake for 40 hours, sleep 5, and repeat. I too convinced myself I had sporadic fatal insomnia. I even took myself to the ER because of my fear. This was three years ago. I still suffer from insomnia when my anxiety is at its peak (like now), but I'm still alive.

Thanks to all - you have helped quite a lot. I appreciate it.

That must've been scary. I too have thought of going to A&E (ER) but decided against it. What are you anxious about now?

Missb89
19-08-18, 18:20
Thanks to all - you have helped quite a lot. I appreciate it.

That must've been scary. I too have thought of going to A&E (ER) but decided against it. What are you anxious about now?

I have GERD and esophagitis diagnosed two years ago. I couldn't tolerate the meds and was self treating with antacids, and now I feel terrible and had myself convinced that it's progressed to esophageal cancer.

HullSimplibus
19-08-18, 19:38
I have GERD and esophagitis diagnosed two years ago. I couldn't tolerate the meds and was self treating with antacids, and now I feel terrible and had myself convinced that it's progressed to esophageal cancer.

Oh dear.

Are you still taking the meds?

Missb89
19-08-18, 19:49
Oh dear.

Are you still taking the meds?

I couldn't handle them, so I just take gaviscon advance which I'm sure isn't enough and is why my symptoms are worsening.

Serenitystars
19-08-18, 20:15
I was unable to sleep for a few nights (like 4) and turn out fine.
I did nap during the day though but after the 4 day I was determined fix my sleep so I cut out my naps and watch a funny cartoon/games to keep my mind off of things. That night I was tired before it hit 10pm and woke up at 6 but it was a start.
Best of luck! :hugs:

HullSimplibus
19-08-18, 22:48
I couldn't handle them, so I just take gaviscon advance which I'm sure isn't enough and is why my symptoms are worsening.

I'm not a doctor and certainly don't want to but fear into your head, so I will just say your symptoms worsening might be psychological. The more anxious you are and the more you get into a panic the worse the symptoms will seem, simply because you are worrying about them.

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

I was unable to sleep for a few nights (like 4) and turn out fine.
I did nap during the day though but after the 4 day I was determined fix my sleep so I cut out my naps and watch a funny cartoon/games to keep my mind off of things. That night I was tired before it hit 10pm and woke up at 6 but it was a start.
Best of luck! :hugs:

Same here. I nap if I don't sleep deeply but when I do there is not enough.

Thanks! :yesyes:

HullSimplibus
20-08-18, 05:05
I still have a fear of sporadic fatal insomnia

The internet is saying that it starts with normal insomnia then progresses..It says middle age but I saw a 13 year old died from it..Others are saying the dementia comes first..I don't know what to believe and what's true..

---------- Post added at 05:05 ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 ----------

I have had muscle spasms, dreams that seem so real, and a few memory problems where it will slip off my tongue and then come back to me. I am even more frightened now :scared15: :scared15: :scared15: