PDA

View Full Version : extistential ocd

Peterthegreatworrier
20-08-18, 13:33
Hey everyone. I study philosophy at university and not for the first time it's recently helped trigger some of my very uncomfortable extistential obsessions. Sometimes I obsess over solipsism and the like, but this feels far worse. It's hard to explain, but i'll try my best. I'm worried that every time you go to sleep, your conciousness actually dies, and that next morning when your body wakes up it has an entirely new conciousness with the same memories and personalities but it's not your point of view anymore. Furthermore, I'm imagining that immediately after you go to sleep, your point of view is continued in the next conciousness to come into existance, through birth or awakening, but with the memories, personality and body of a different person or even animal, and i'm terrified that i'll find myself waking in a warzone or something.

I'm trying to convince myself that is is nonscence, but i can't find anything to disprove this, appart from the fact that I'm sure very few people, if any, hold this view on conciousness. I hope I've not been too incoherant, and that someone may be able to offer some advice.

Best regards, Peterthegreatworrier