PDA

View Full Version : More wondering than worried?

HullSimplibus
22-08-18, 02:38
My insomnia seems to have gotten better. I get between 5-7 hours every night.

Though, i'm more wondering if insomnia has to be LACK of sleep - can it be waking up a couple more hours than usual? Or is it absolutely waking up every few hours?

As I still have a niggling little fear in the back of my head that I have an extremely rare disease called 'Sporadic Fatal Insomnia', which apparently is non-genetic...I feel so stupid for worrying myself because there is only 10 reported cases...

LunarCoffee
22-08-18, 03:39
Insomnia is difficulty getting to sleep. Fragmented sleep is when you wake up too much, which is sometimes deceivingly referred to as "middle insomnia." But also, sFI is literally so rare, it's still running away! Terrible culinary joke aside, sFI begins with severe cognitive decline (one week, you're fine, next week, you can't remember how old you are) and ataxia (it's like you're drunk all the time), which you obviously don't have.

HullSimplibus
22-08-18, 03:58
Insomnia is difficulty getting to sleep. Fragmented sleep is when you wake up too much, which is sometimes deceivingly referred to as "middle insomnia." But also, sFI is literally so rare, it's still running away! Terrible culinary joke aside, sFI begins with severe cognitive decline (one week, you're fine, next week, you can't remember how old you are) and ataxia (it's like you're drunk all the time), which you obviously don't have.

Oh. I thought Insomnia was when you have trouble falling asleep or keep waking up too early.

I have had memory problems and cognitive problems, but I have put that down to lack of sleep and the anxiety. Memory problems because I am thinking about the anxiety 24/7 and cognitive problems because i'm either thinking and not focusing on life or because i'm tired. The cognitive problems have faded.

A Kalms tablet helped with the sleep, which I presume wouldn't with a severe sleeping disorder.

The fear I have is the fact it all the sudden came up in my head not long ago 'What if its that rare insomnia that kills you'

Then I jumped up, panicking, and started googling things. And I scared myself half to death. I started thinking 'Am I being psychic?' because I have felt things are not right before and they haven't been right...Probably just instinct and all coincidences.

LunarCoffee
22-08-18, 04:16
Oh. I thought Insomnia was when you have trouble falling asleep or keep waking up too early.

I have had memory problems and cognitive problems, but I have put that down to lack of sleep and the anxiety. Memory problems because I am thinking about the anxiety 24/7 and cognitive problems because i'm either thinking and not focusing on life or because i'm tired. The cognitive problems have faded.

A Kalms tablet helped with the sleep, which I presume wouldn't with a severe sleeping disorder.

The fear I have is the fact it all the sudden came up in my head not long ago 'What if its that rare insomnia that kills you'

Then I jumped up, panicking, and started googling things. And I scared myself half to death. I started thinking 'Am I being psychic?' because I have felt things are not right before and they haven't been right...Probably just instinct and all coincidences.

A lack of sleep definitely does wonders to destroy your memory. Sometimes on days when I get less than 7.5 hours (I'm 13 in a growth spurt, so even 8.5 leaves me tired when I wake up), I'll pour a glass of water, put it down, grab a bowl of chips... then take the chips upstairs without the water.

Insomnia is when you have trouble falling asleep... but if you have it it basically means you don't have sFI. Also, I suffered from this fear a while back. In fact, it's what got the anxiety wheels rolling in the first place.

NancyW
22-08-18, 04:40
As I still have a niggling little fear in the back of my head that I have an extremely rare disease called 'Sporadic Fatal Insomnia', which apparently is non-genetic...I feel so stupid for worrying myself because there is only 10 reported cases...

You ask for trouble when you google...

HullSimplibus
22-08-18, 05:40
A lack of sleep definitely does wonders to destroy your memory. Sometimes on days when I get less than 7.5 hours (I'm 13 in a growth spurt, so even 8.5 leaves me tired when I wake up), I'll pour a glass of water, put it down, grab a bowl of chips... then take the chips upstairs without the water.

Insomnia is when you have trouble falling asleep... but if you have it it basically means you don't have sFI. Also, I suffered from this fear a while back. In fact, it's what got the anxiety wheels rolling in the first place.

I have done that before too.

I did watch one of those 'Interesting facts' videos once and it did say that sleep deprivation destroys short term memory. But I didn't think of it until you mentioned it.

---------- Post added at 05:40 ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 ----------

You ask for trouble when you google...

I know.

I always end up doing it though.:doh: