PDA

View Full Version : exercise and beta blockers - any advice appreciated

BobZheruncle
22-08-18, 20:04
Hi all

I have a question which I hope that one of you wise owls can answer.

I've decided to introduce exercise into my life, my doctor agrees that it's a good idea and told me to take it easy to start and build up from there - seems like sound advice to me.

So, I got my wife to drop me a few (6 or so) miles from home on the basis I'd walk back, it’s a little hilly where we live so I picked a route that wasn’t at all challenging.

Now here is the problem, I am on beta blockers (Propranolol 40Mg) and every hill becomes like a mountain.

As I understand it (I’m certainly no expert on these matters) muscles need oxygen to perform, the more exertion, the more oxygen is required and this is supplied by blood pumping faster round the body from an increased heatbeat. However It seems that my beta blockers stop my heart from beating at an increased rate and therefore every – even relatively small - exertion becomes a huge problem

Has anyone else had this issue and if so what advice can you give.

Thanks

Tony

ankietyjoe
22-08-18, 20:45
This seems like a curious paradox to me.

The only reason you really need to be on beta blockers when you suffer from anxiety is to stop your heart reacting to adrenaline and pounding/beating fast. It doesn't offer a curative effect to anxiety, it merely inhibits one of the symptoms.

If you are actively trying to exercise and therefore increase your heart rate, maybe it's time to lower the dose and eventually try and come off them?

I think as long as you're on them, the only thing you can do is work within the limits of their effect.

BobZheruncle
22-08-18, 21:13
Thanks AnkietyJoe

wcs2222
23-08-18, 22:10
Hello.

Exercise is good for your anxiety, heart and overall health, but it doesn't have to be and shouldn't be stressful nor painful. Regardless of whether you are on Propranolol or other beta blocker, I suggest you make the level of exercise appropriate to your body by starting off lower and building up as you get more fit ... 6 miles over hilly terrain sounds a bit much to begin.

As part of my recovery from anxiety/panic attacks in the past 4 months, I got back to taking Citalopram (4th time over 20 years) and the anxiety also caused my blood pressure to go through the roof, so my GP put me on Bisoprolol beta blocker. I started walking everyday for 30-60mins per day, weather permitting. I have a resting heart rate of 55/min and 3 miles/hour raises my heart rate to 90-105/min for 1.5-3 miles per day over flat terrain ... this is still good exercise in the "fat burn" zone, not in the "cardio" or aerobic zone. I bought a Fitbit fitness tracker that measures my heart rate and distance travelled, so I can adjust my walk speed to stay in the zone without overexertion.

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

I should add that you definitely should NOT reduce, NOR stop taking Propranolol or any other beta blocker without first checking with your GP.

Fishmanpa
24-08-18, 00:41
I take heart meds for heart disease and one is a beta blocker. I can definitely notice when I reach the limit. It's the nature of the drug to do so. All you can do is learn what your limits are and slow down if you feel you're getting close.

The positive you take away is that you're exercising in spite of the side effect.

Positive thoughts

mare serenitatis
24-08-18, 07:41
I’ve been on 60mg of propanalol, and I could definitely tell when pushing further was futile. I found a work around in terms of work outs. I don’t use it anymore, but when I did drug timing became important to me.

If you like the medication and want to continue using it, you can start your walk before you take the drug. According to my cardiologist, At most, it has a 5-6 hour half life. You can wake up in the morning after an evening dose, get your walk in, and then take your medicine.

Otherwise, a beta blockers job is to limit rapid heart rate. Have you considered coming off of it?

ScaredScot
26-08-18, 21:46
I'm on low dose beta blocker and I get tired doing fairly easy tasks.

Hopefully it will pass.

ScaredScot