PDA

View Full Version : 19 year old, localized twitching, als ?

jaroslav.prossv
01-09-17, 09:44
Hello, I am 18. About a week ago, I woke up every hour or two hours. This lasted for 3 days. Also, if I would lay down, I would feel chest pain. But no shortness of breath. I was very worried at that time, because I have mild foot cramps and I already thought it might be ALS at that time. My mom then gave an anti anxiety magnesium pill and I could sleep for 3 night well again, even the chest pain stopped. However the last 2 nights, I woke up like 2-3 times a night and last night like every other hour again. I am afraid it is ALS weakening my breathing muscles. I do a lot of football and weight training and my stamina did not worsen and i dont feel any shortness of breath there, but I read somewhere that sleep problems are the first to come. I do not have any headache, confussion when waking up. Just the regular wakings. I can remember my dreams.

Fishmanpa
01-09-17, 12:43
Definitely not ALS... Please read this! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071)

Positive thoughts

jaroslav.prossv
24-08-18, 15:26
Hey,

I am 19 years old, I do have health anxiety, and I have been pretty stressed for the past 3 months. The problem is, about 4 weeks ago, I started twitching in my right shoulder, it came out of nowhere while using the computer. Lasted for a few minutes and vas visible, not in a pattern (changing between slow and fast). I thought of ALS right away, and became aware of my body...I was twitchin all over, but mostly it was 1 on/off twitch, but sometimes I would get constatnt twitch, for example in my calf etc..However a week later, I developed the same constant twitch in my lower tricep, it happened while using the computer, lasted for like 20 minutes I guess, and then I got it the next day while driving in the same location. Lasted for about 30 minutes, until I started moving. Ever since then, for the last 3 weeks, I have been getting twitches in the tricep area. They are sometimes very fast, usually visible, and I thought they get better with movement. Because every time I got them, it was during resting, or when not being very active. However, this week, we are on a holiday and we have done a lot of hiking and I kept touching and observing my tricep, I could not really feel anything while moving (the twitch might be there, just not possible to feel because the hand extends while walking) and during stopping, I did not seem to get it. However yersterday, I would hike for 30 minutes, then stop and get the twitch RIGHT AWAY. I got his like 2 times. Until now, I thought the twitching got better with movement but the fact I got it right when stopping, makes me think that the twitching is there while moving, but I jut dont feel it. Now I get the twitching in my tricep most of the time, it is 1 on and off twitch and about 1 or 2 times a day I get very intense and visible twitching which can last up to about 45 minutes. I also get little pop twitches on other body parts, but they are not intesne and last only like a secnd. In 98% of time in happens in the tricep. Firstival I thought that maybe it could be because of lack of sleep or too much caffeine (about a liter of green tea a day + coffee), but now on vacation all of that is fixed, I only have one coffee for breakfast and it still happens, and also it is localized on the tricep. I did not work out in a long time beffore this started or used my arm very much (even though it is my dominant arm). The bad thing is, that about 2 weeks ago, I actually managed to get rid of the twtich for about 3 days, because I was driving to a football game with a friend, got the twitching in the car, but it dissaperead right, when I started moving, I was positive, and the twitcing really was not there for like 3 days, however I went to watch TV and on the 3rd day, I got the twitch again. I was not thinking about it or stress about it at that time, which makes be beleive it really is ALS. I am so afraid. Honestly, I just sit there, waiting till it starts twitching, and when it does, it makes me want to kill myself. The twitching is just too much for me to handle. I cannot pay an EMG from my own cash, and I dont think it is covered by insurance. Any ideas ? Should I be worried ? I dont think I have any weakness (I did hit the gym yersterday, still could lift normally) and I dont think I have any atrophy, but still, I read some stories of ppl having widespread twitching, which move into one spot and then they were diagnosed with ALS. Thank you for help.

Fishmanpa
24-08-18, 15:28
READ THIS (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071) as many times as you need to.

Positive thoughts

jaroslav.prossv
24-08-18, 15:37
Thx, I know, I read thousands of these, but my twitching is localized, not widespread, there is no cause besides als.

Fishmanpa
24-08-18, 15:40
I guess you miraculously recovered from your previous diagnosis? (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=206711) That's some awfully bad luck to get it twice!

Positive thoughts

jaroslav.prossv
24-08-18, 16:50
Yes I know, but these are other symptoms, pay attention to those, not to my last worry.

Fishmanpa
24-08-18, 16:55
Yes I know, but these are other symptoms, pay attention to those, not to my last worry.

Well I guess you better get to the doctor then :shrug: The "Told Ya So Gang" is on standby :winks:

Positive thoughts

Ben1989
24-08-18, 18:17
I have HA and went down the ALS rabbit hole. But at 19 the chances of ALS is absolutely laughable. I’m 29 and ALS sufferers told me it’s 1 in 1,000,000 chance (a literal statistic by the way not exaggerated).

I had twitching in my right arm for two weeks non stop a few weeks ago. I just knew it wasn’t ALS. It went, so will yours. The more you think about your shoulder the longer your twitching will last

Andrash
24-08-18, 21:12
Thx, I know, I read thousands of these, but my twitching is localized, not widespread, there is no cause besides als.

Whaaat? No cause besides ALS? Are you kidding me?

BFS can manifest itself as both localized and widespread twitching. So can anxiety. You don't have atrophy, you don't have clinical weakness, you are way too young for the disease onset - you don't have ALS. Period.

jaroslav.prossv
24-08-18, 22:01
I have HA and went down the ALS rabbit hole. But at 19 the chances of ALS is absolutely laughable. I’m 29 and ALS sufferers told me it’s 1 in 1,000,000 chance (a literal statistic by the way not exaggerated).

I had twitching in my right arm for two weeks non stop a few weeks ago. I just knew it wasn’t ALS. It went, so will yours. The more you think about your shoulder the longer your twitching will last

Thank you for answering, but is the statistic per 1000000 people in general or ppl of your age ? By my calculations, the odd of me having this is 1 in 26 milion (people of all ages - meaning that between 26 milion ppl there is going to be one 19 year old with ALS) and one in about 500000 people of my age - meaning that 1 in 500k 18-19 years old will get ALS, I mean it does not seem that rare to be honest....

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Whaaat? No cause besides ALS? Are you kidding me?

BFS can manifest itself as both localized and widespread twitching. So can anxiety. You don't have atrophy, you don't have clinical weakness, you are way too young for the disease onset - you don't have ALS. Period.

Sou you think anxiety can make one location twitch for so long ?

Fishmanpa
24-08-18, 22:10
Thank you for answering, but.....

Why are you literally arguing the stats? Are you doing this to validate your irrationality? Do you want to have it? Sorry... but you don't :lac: We all twitch now and again. In fact, I've had a triceps twitch for nearly a week. Pffft.. So? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

MagpieWitch
24-08-18, 22:24
I had the same fear when I was 19. I have to tell you one thing my neuro doctor told me - twitching starts once the other muscular function is lost. You will have weakness and won't be able to use it before the twitching begins. Real weakness such as not being able to use it at all. I had this same fear three years ago too. I will try to help you as best as I can.

BazB44
25-08-18, 01:34
ive been fearing the past 2 years. worst rabbit hole ever. ive been a hypochondriac for 20 years, and feared all sorts of stuff. This is by far the worst. 2 years of my life I wont get back, and still live pretty fearful about it. Its such a hard rabbit hole to get out of

LunarCoffee
25-08-18, 04:36
You do mention using the computer. Could it be that your shoulder and tricep are tightened when you're using it? Either way, try stretching the area for a long time. A few weeks ago I also had an ALS scare where my left thigh was just twitching insanely for a really long time. Stretched it for a good solid 5 minutes and it disappeared for the most part.

jaroslav.prossv
26-08-18, 19:34
You do mention using the computer. Could it be that your shoulder and tricep are tightened when you're using it? Either way, try stretching the area for a long time. A few weeks ago I also had an ALS scare where my left thigh was just twitching insanely for a really long time. Stretched it for a good solid 5 minutes and it disappeared for the most part.

What do you think caused your twitching ?

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

ive been fearing the past 2 years. worst rabbit hole ever. ive been a hypochondriac for 20 years, and feared all sorts of stuff. This is by far the worst. 2 years of my life I wont get back, and still live pretty fearful about it. Its such a hard rabbit hole to get out of

Your also afraid of ALS ?

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

I had the same fear when I was 19. I have to tell you one thing my neuro doctor told me - twitching starts once the other muscular function is lost. You will have weakness and won't be able to use it before the twitching begins. Real weakness such as not being able to use it at all. I had this same fear three years ago too. I will try to help you as best as I can.

Was you twitching also local ?

JoeCanuck
30-08-18, 13:43
What exactly do you mean by local? I usually have one "hot spot" that twitches at any given time. Last week it was the front of my left thigh just above my knee. Today it's my left bicep that's firing like a machine gun.

This has been going on for a year and a half at least, probably longer. I've started going to the gym and it's reduced the frequency of my twitching (helps with anxiety) and I've improved how much weight I can lift substantially.

lofwyr
30-08-18, 15:02
I have had localized twitching literally my entire life since the age of around 16. I have never even been worried about it. ALS has never been a fear I have had, mostly because I know two people who have had it, and it was not something they questioned. There was something profoundly wrong with them, it wasn't a twitch. It was falling over from being unable to stand up properly.

Anyway, I suppose I have BFS given the amount of twitching I have, but to say that ALS is the only cause of localized twitching is massively inaccurate. Anxiety, for one, can cause it.

By the way, I am 47 now, almost 48. That represents 32 years of twitching, often times very localized. For years at a time my left thumb had a mind of its own.

Work the anxiety friend.

Elen
30-08-18, 15:14
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen