PDA

View Full Version : Just prescribed antibiotic linked to sudden cardiac death....... Ummm excuse me

jasxo
24-08-18, 22:31
So my doc just prescribed me an antibiotic for a suspected bacterial lung infection. To make a long story short, I've been coughing up all colors in the rainbow (including blood yay), have a fever, sweating profusely and generally feel like s***.

Anyway, I grabbed my prescription today and was just about to pop one in my mouth when I decided to read the leaflet that comes inside the box. In big bold letters it says "warning, this drug is linked to an elevated risk of developing Long QT Syndrome which can cause sudden cardiac death." I practically threw the pill 5 feet away from me.

I'm VERY sensitive to anything heart related. I can't even drink a cup of coffee or take antihistamines because my heart starts jumping all over the place. I'm actually on a beta blocker at the moment because my heart loves palpitating and racing for no reason :yesyes:

I did more googling and my research concluded that there is actually no way I'm taking these. It says if you're already on drugs that slow heart rate (I am) or have low levels of magnesium (I do, confirmed by blood test) then to stay away.

The question is, am I being sane and rational? These antibiotics were prescribed to treat potential pneumonia and that in itself can be a killer. But I just cannot fathom swallowing these things now that I know the risks associated with them. I will literally be in a constant state of panic as heart problems are a huge trigger for my anxiety. Any advice moving forward? I'd prefer to not die of pneumonia OR a heart arrhythmia, thank you very much!!!

.Poppy.
24-08-18, 22:47
I'd suggest calling up your doc and/or pharmacy and telling them your concerns. If you need an antibiotic, you need one - but maybe there is an alternative script that would work just as well. Or it's possible that your fears are unfounded and your doc can ease your mind. Either way, sitting and Googling never did anyone any good, especially if you have pneumonia to treat. :)

Is your doc having you do anything else along with the meds to help treat the infection? I tend to get colds that turn into bronchitis easily and I'm always thankful for steam showers and inhalers.

Shadowhawk
24-08-18, 23:00
Remember, a doctor must always weigh the risk of medicine vs the risk of not taking it. If he prescribed it, it means he feels any risk from the medicine is worth it (or less than the risk of not taking it..

You can always ask for a different one, but more than likely, the risk you are worried about is so small as to not even be a real risk..

venusbluejeans
25-08-18, 00:00
ALL medication has side effects to them....and a Dr would not prescribe them to you if they thought there was a risk

So don't take the antibiotics... what happens? your lung infection gets worse.....your lungs are one of your main organs..... If your lungs don't work then your body will not function.

MyNameIsTerry
25-08-18, 02:02
I would suggest putting this question back to your GP in a direct manner or consulting a pharmacist for advice.

Your GP should look at potential interactions with other meds before prescribing but my experience (UK only) is that GP's do make mistakes in this way but pharmacists don't dispense without checking and refuse to issue tem or come out to speak to you first.

Normally I would be saying a Long QT issue is only an issue if you have a medical history where you have to be careful with this but since you mention you are on meds that can slow the heart it's very difficult to say something as we don't know what or what for and whether interactions may be Minor, Medium or Major.

Put it back to them. You obviously warrant some form of treatment but there are potentially other antibiotics they can use if they decide there is an issue.

But remember that manufacturers have to list every possible side effect. Interactions have to be known. These are to be weighed up and may not be a problem. Many of us are on meds that have dreadful side effects listed, and usually in the rare or unknown categories, or have interactions that can range from nothing/mild to life threatening. But there is a world of information between those statements and the reasoning behind them.

ErinKC
26-08-18, 20:24
I don't think you're being irrational. I would call your doctor back with all the concerns you list here and see if there is a different medication that would work for your infection. Also, be honest about your anxiety, which is another condition you have and should also be considered when determining your treatment. You need to feel comfortable enough to take the medication prescribed to you or your doctor won't be able to effectively treat you. Your doctor can hopefully choose a different medication or discuss this one with your enough to ease your mind. Good luck!